The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #721 of 1,528
If you mean this post, then yes I am, and thanks!

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/photo-gallery.71300/post-7134595

This amplifier is going to be released as a public DIY project in the near future. I will provide all the info someone needs to order parts and build one. About the same level of skill required to build a Bottlehead kit. For a TOTL DIY amplifier, it is very easy to build. As I said in that post, with all of the parts in front of me, I can build it in 6 hours. I will be writing extremely detailed instructions and info to order all the parts. I am going to build a second one and takes pictures along the way to compile into an instructional PDF.

It is a very good sounding amplifier, if I do say so myself. @Monsterzero is going to review it soon.
I'd be so interested in that! I love the DIY kits and have built many now.
Let me know when you are ready.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #722 of 1,528
I'd be so interested in that! I love the DIY kits and have built many now.
Let me know when you are ready.

I will! I'll make an announcement when the post is up on diyAudio and provide a link.

It won't be a kit per se, the builder will have to acquire the parts themselves, but I will provide all of the information to do that. That means ordering transformers and shields from Lundahl's distributor, ordering a chassis from Landfall Systems, ordering non-boutique parts from Mouser Electronics, ordering boutique audio components from Parts Connexion or Hificollective, acquiring the necessary hookup wire, PCBs, etc. I will show people the way and provide instruction, but they will have to do the leg work of acquiring parts. Regardless, this is still a lot of work for me and no money to be made, so hopefully there are a few people willing to take the plunge.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #723 of 1,528
I will! I'll make an announcement when the post is up on diyAudio and provide a link.

It won't be a kit per se, the builder will have to acquire the parts themselves, but I will provide all of the information to do that. That means ordering transformers and shields from Lundahl's distributor, ordering a chassis from Landfall Systems, ordering non-boutique parts from Mouser Electronics, ordering boutique audio components from Parts Connexion or Hificollective, acquiring the necessary hookup wire, PCBs, etc. I will show people the way and provide instruction, but they will have to do the leg work of acquiring parts. Regardless, this is still a lot of work for me and no money to be made, so hopefully there are a few people willing to take the plunge.
What is the approximate cost of all the parts?

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #725 of 1,528
I won some tubes in an auction last night, $180USD for a pair of NIB Raytheon-branded Tung-Sol 6550. I won't be able to use them for a while since the amplifier for them is on the road! I am going to build myself a even crazier version of my circuit with interstage transformer coupling, so I am excited to use them in that design.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Congrats it’s a nice pair and dirt cheap price

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #726 of 1,528

I think the hunting of parts will be a draw for many like myself, who are already familiar with many of the vendors you mention and will be more pride in the build knowing that you sourced the parts yourself, with your guidance of course.
Great idea!
It also gives the builder flexibility in acquiring parts over time to make it more budget friendly.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #727 of 1,528
I think the hunting of parts will be a draw for many like myself, who are already familiar with many of the vendors you mention and will be more pride in the build knowing that you sourced the parts yourself, with your guidance of course.
Great idea!
It also gives the builder flexibility in acquiring parts over time to make it more budget friendly.

Yeah! I think once a few people do it, others might see it really isn't that bad. Like, for the Mouser parts, I can just post a link to the parts list, you hit "Add to Cart" and purchase, done. For Lundahl, copy paste the parts list into an email to the distributor, they send you a PayPal invoice, you pay, done. For the chassis, you send an email to Dave at Landfall and tell him you want "whatever-L0rdGwyn-names-the-amp chassis", he sends you a PayPal invoice, you pay, done. It's really just a matter of following some simple directions to get all the parts, and my assembly directions will be very detailed and also include simple soldering skills. Since most of the circuit is on a PCB, the amount of point-to-point wiring is minimal. The only thing that has me slightly concerned is soldering the ELMA switch as it takes some fine motor skills. I am even considering buying like ten of them and soldering them myself to provide to builders who think they might struggle with it. TBD.

The BOM for the project will be in an Excel spreadsheet and I will include a checkbox field so people can keep track of what they've already purchased.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #728 of 1,528
Switched from the Cossor 807 to the Mullard. Hadn't heard them with the 14n7. The Mullard are smoother and a little more laid back. The Cossor still excels at detail and therefore space. The Mullard are pretty cheap, at least cheaper than the Cossor 807.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #729 of 1,528
Switched from the Cossor 807 to the Mullard. Hadn't heard them with the 14n7. The Mullard are smoother and a little more laid back. The Cossor still excels at detail and therefore space. The Mullard are pretty cheap, at least cheaper than the Cossor 807.
I do hope I'll find soon a pair of Cossors like you have. Everything you say about them makes me think I'll love them. I've won an auction for a pair of "Brimar" 807 but as far as I know Brimar only rebranded the 807. I have seen many Brimar 807 produced by somebody else. Maybe I am lucky.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #730 of 1,528
I do hope I'll find soon a pair of Cossors like you have. Everything you say about them makes me think I'll love them. I've won an auction for a pair of "Brimar" 807 but as far as I know Brimar only rebranded the 807. I have seen many Brimar 807 produced by somebody else. Maybe I am lucky.
I am not familiar with the 807 tubes but my impression is that Cossor was a rebrander and not a manufacturer.
Did they make their own tubes at some point?

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #731 of 1,528
I am not familiar with the 807 tubes but my impression is that Cossor was a rebrander and not a manufacturer.
Did they make their own tubes at some point?

Cossor most definitely manufactured tubes, but sometime in the mid 1950's they ceased, and by the late 1950's they had sold their entire consumer electronics business to Philips. Today, in audio amplifiers, their 53KU rectifier is fairly common, but unfortunately, expensive.

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #732 of 1,528
Cossor most definitely manufactured tubes, but sometime in the mid 1950's they ceased, and by the late 1950's they had sold their entire consumer electronics business to Philips. Today, in audio amplifiers, their 53KU rectifier is fairly common, but unfortunately, expensive.
Thanks - can I assume that older Cossor labeled tubes made before 1950 were made by them and not rebranded?

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #734 of 1,528
Thanks - can I assume that older Cossor labeled tubes made before 1950 were made by them and not rebranded?

I think you can assume that Cossor could have made them. But I have never seen a Cossor catalogue from that time so I no idea which tubes were made in house and which ones were sourced from other companies and rebranded.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #735 of 1,528
They’re not that hard to find really. Best price I’ve found is here:

https://www.vintage-electronics.co.uk/product/cossor-vt60a-807-ceramic-base-valve-tube-nos/

There are some on eBay as well if you want to take your chances. Billington also has them around the same price if you’re willing to do the minimum order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back