The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #751 of 1,528
Off topic but perhaps someone can give advice: I just got a set of old custom cables with special wiring for Sennheiser HD650. The strain reliefs broke and the the wires are exposed but not broken.
How can I reinforce the strain reliefs? (It seems that someone tried to fix it with silicone glue in the past but it did not hold.)
1665025664153.png
I vote for @Zachik solution.

New cables and cheap

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #752 of 1,528
Is that glue soft or hard?

One thing that jumps to mind is that you could use heatshrink tubing with a high shrink ratio (e.g. 4 to 1, or better), and if you can find heatshrink with internal heat activated adhesive it may adhere to that if the glue is hard. If the glue is hard, you could sand it down with some coarse sandpaper before doing the adhesive heatshrink to give it a rougher surface to bind to. If the glue on there is soft, maybe you could carefully scrape it off with a blade, then lightly sand the plastic before doing the adhesive heatshrink. Not sure if that would work, but just an idea.
Thanks - it looks like soft glue. Would a hair dryer work for heat shrink?
I vote for @Zachik solution.

New cables and cheap
Thanks for the suggestion. However, the cables I need to fix are a one of a kind set that uses two 1/4” headphone jacks at one end and converts the headphones out jacks into balanced cables for the HD650. The amp is called Jade by Audiotailor.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #753 of 1,528
Thanks - it looks like soft glue. Would a hair dryer work for heat shrink?

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the cables I need to fix are a one of a kind set that uses two 1/4” headphone jacks at one end and converts the headphones out jacks into balanced cables for the HD650. The amp is called Jade by Audiotailor.

Oh, looks like a good use for the prescribed heatsink tubing then. :)

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #754 of 1,528
Not to derail the thread anymore BUT...
If you are skilled with a soldering iron you could cut those off and buy new connectors and solder the wires up or you could send it to someone that knows enough who could do the repair for you. Otherwise you could go the shrinktube option as suggested but it may look a little hacky but should hold.

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #755 of 1,528
Hart cables will do ANY custom work you need, and they are one of the cheapest out there. Just saying.

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #756 of 1,528
Off topic but perhaps someone can give advice: I just got a set of old custom cables with special wiring for Sennheiser HD650. The strain reliefs broke and the the wires are exposed but not broken.
How can I reinforce the strain reliefs? (It seems that someone tried to fix it with silicone glue in the past but it did not hold.)
1665025664153.png
Sugru works great for this sort of problem…

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #757 of 1,528
Sugru works great for this sort of problem…
Thanks for the suggestions! However, I just thought of something else which I have on hand:
Self fusing high temperature silicone tape.
This tape fuses to itself instantly and can be easily stretched. Used approximately 5-6" total for both sides. Stuck on a couple of pieces of tape.
1665082224104.png

Let's hope that it works well - so far so good!
PS: The reason I have this tape is that sometimes you can improve tubes that are microphonic by applying tube rings of the tape to the tube. And it nicely covers rust on old metal tubes lol...

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #760 of 1,528
Thanks for the suggestions! However, I just thought of something else which I have on hand:
Self fusing high temperature silicone tape.
This tape fuses to itself instantly and can be easily stretched. Used approximately 5-6" total for both sides. Stuck on a couple of pieces of tape.
1665082224104.png
Let's hope that it works well - so far so good!
PS: The reason I have this tape is that sometimes you can improve tubes that are microphonic by applying tube rings of the tape to the tube. And it nicely covers rust on old metal tubes lol...
Nobody like my DIY solution? - Must be doing something wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back