The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #706 of 1,528
Just won 10 Sylvania 6bg6ga NOS for $79. These are the same as the Sylvania 7581a/7027a. I'm glad to have more but I really don't need 10, bargain or no. I really need to stop "just a quick check of ebay." Glad I like cheap tubes at least!

Regarding 6BG6 tubes that you talk about,

Just had a note from Eric of McChanson's amps. Haven't heard from him for a while. Wonderful chap. Always a delight to hear from him. If I hadn't had so many amps already, I may even be interested in the amp below.

I have made one really universal amp (see picture ) which is being auditioned by a potential client with KT150. The amp has switches that enable it to use all pentode / Tetrode tubes ( with tube socket adaptor as needed) - all 6L6 pin compatible tubes, 807, 6DG6, etc.. The picture is using the Russian equivalent. I think the facility that can use those wonder low rp tubes 6BG6 etc can just be an added bonus, it cannot compete with KT150 which is popular...

Cheers

Eric

DSCN0906.JPG

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #707 of 1,528
Just had a note from Eric of McChanson's amps. Haven't heard from him for a while. Wonderful chap. Always a delight to hear from him.
+1
I should post some notes on my AWESOME custom amp from Eric!!! :wink:

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #709 of 1,528
I will do so in a different thread, since my McChanson amp has no pentode / tetrode tubes :wink:

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #711 of 1,528
Regarding 6BG6 tubes that you talk about,

Just had a note from Eric of McChanson's amps. Haven't heard from him for a while. Wonderful chap. Always a delight to hear from him. If I hadn't had so many amps already, I may even be interested in the amp below.

I have made one really universal amp (see picture ) which is being auditioned by a potential client with KT150. The amp has switches that enable it to use all pentode / Tetrode tubes ( with tube socket adaptor as needed) - all 6L6 pin compatible tubes, 807, 6DG6, etc.. The picture is using the Russian equivalent. I think the facility that can use those wonder low rp tubes 6BG6 etc can just be an added bonus, it cannot compete with KT150 which is popular...

Cheers

Eric

DSCN0906.JPG
Huh, I wonder what he means by "can't compete." I assume the switches are for different bias points? Glad to see other builders embracing pentode flexibility!

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #712 of 1,528
Huh, I wonder what he means by "can't compete."

I think he meant that the KT150 is better known than 6BG6. Not many people knows about 6BG6 except in DIY circles. I have heard it once though when Eric send me a prototype amp and I thought it sounded very, very good. So much so I wanted to use that in Odyssey but Tomas told me it's not suitable for Odyssey.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #713 of 1,528
I think he meant that the KT150 is better known than 6BG6. Not many people knows about 6BG6 except in DIY circles. I have heard it once though when Eric send me a prototype amp and I thought it sounded very, very good. So much so I wanted to use that in Odyssey but Tomas told me it's not suitable for Odyssey.
If you can use 807 you should be able to use 6bg6, especially the ones that are actually 6l6gc on the inside.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #714 of 1,528
If you can use 807 you should be able to use 6bg6, especially the ones that are actually 6l6gc on the inside.

Good to know but for now the appetite for more tubes for Odyssey has waned off. I'm saving up for a pair of 300b.

Just roll in the GEC KT88 with Tung Sol 6SU7gty and the difference with the Psvane KT88 Tii is telling. In my setup the GEC KT88 is as good as it gets. Articulate, punchy, pitch and tone. This tube is the holy grail just as the GEC 6as7g is the holy grail of the 6as7 world.

IMG_5028.jpg

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #715 of 1,528
Good to know but for now the appetite for more tubes for Odyssey has waned off. I'm saving up for a pair of 300b.

Just roll in the GEC KT88 with Tung Sol 6SU7gty and the difference with the Psvane KT88 Tii is telling. In my setup the GEC KT88 is as good as it gets. Articulate, punchy, pitch and tone. This tube is the holy grail just as the GEC 6as7g is the holy grail of the 6as7 world.

IMG_5028.jpg
Yeah, gotta prepare for the next amp.

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #716 of 1,528

I am fortunate to have builders who treat me as friends and have my interest at heart. Notice how at the end of the email, his advice to me not to get anymore amps. 😀

Anyway posting this email from Eric below as I got mixed up with 6BG6 and 6DQ5.

I happened to browse the Head Fi forum and found that you mentioned my 6DQ5 amp.... and note that is a confusion about 6BG6, etc.

6BG6 is of " standard" specs similar to 6L6GC, 807 etc, but of different tube pins and needs a tube socket converter adapter to be used on 6L6GC tube socket. 6BG6 is with Rp at 25,000 ohm. but indeed I did use it and the sound is also very good.

The low Rp tubes are the 6DQ5, 6CB5 etc. and the Russian 6P20S ( as in the picture - see switches and test points ? ). 6DQ5 is with Low Rp ( Plate resistance ) at 5,000 ohm. It may be super low when it is tapped in Triode, possibly as low as a 6AS7. Note also 6DQ5 etc use high filament current at2.5A, compared with KT150's 1.6 A. ( 6BG6 0.9A). It is a low efficiency tube like 6AS7 with good sound.

I thought you had asked Tomas to use 6DQ5 on your amp, and NOT 6BG6.... Very confusing for those names. right? ... : )) Indeed, 6DQ5 cannot be used in Odessy.

I am happy you are still active in forum posting and listing music... only .... stop buying OK, you have too many gears, apparently?

All the BEST and Cheers

Eric

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #717 of 1,528
I am fortunate to have builders who treat me as friends and have my interest at heart. Notice how at the end of the email, his advice to me not to get anymore amps. 😀

Anyway posting this email from Eric below as I got mixed up with 6BG6 and 6DQ5.

I happened to browse the Head Fi forum and found that you mentioned my 6DQ5 amp.... and note that is a confusion about 6BG6, etc.

6BG6 is of " standard" specs similar to 6L6GC, 807 etc, but of different tube pins and needs a tube socket converter adapter to be used on 6L6GC tube socket. 6BG6 is with Rp at 25,000 ohm. but indeed I did use it and the sound is also very good.

The low Rp tubes are the 6DQ5, 6CB5 etc. and the Russian 6P20S ( as in the picture - see switches and test points ? ). 6DQ5 is with Low Rp ( Plate resistance ) at 5,000 ohm. It may be super low when it is tapped in Triode, possibly as low as a 6AS7. Note also 6DQ5 etc use high filament current at2.5A, compared with KT150's 1.6 A. ( 6BG6 0.9A). It is a low efficiency tube like 6AS7 with good sound.

I thought you had asked Tomas to use 6DQ5 on your amp, and NOT 6BG6.... Very confusing for those names. right? ... : )) Indeed, 6DQ5 cannot be used in Odessy.

I am happy you are still active in forum posting and listing music... only .... stop buying OK, you have too many gears, apparently?

All the BEST and Cheers

Eric
Ah, that makes sense. The 6dq5 is one of many sweep tubes that have a super wimpy screen grid. So even if it wasn’t difficult to drive or had no gain, or whatever, you couldn’t put much voltage on it. The 6dq5 maximum screen grid voltage is 190v!

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #718 of 1,528
I won some tubes in an auction last night, $180USD for a pair of NIB Raytheon-branded Tung-Sol 6550. I won't be able to use them for a while since the amplifier for them is on the road! I am going to build myself a even crazier version of my circuit with interstage transformer coupling, so I am excited to use them in that design.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #719 of 1,528
I won some tubes in an auction last night, $180USD for a pair of NIB Raytheon-branded Tung-Sol 6550. I won't be able to use them for a while since the amplifier for them is on the road! I am going to build myself a even crazier version of my circuit with interstage transformer coupling, so I am excited to use them in that design.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Are you the same poster over on DIYaudio.com? If so, your new amp looks great!

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #720 of 1,528
Are you the same poster over on DIYaudio.com? If so, your new amp looks great!

If you mean this post, then yes I am, and thanks!

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/photo-gallery.71300/post-7134595

This amplifier is going to be released as a public DIY project in the near future. I will provide all the info someone needs to order parts and build one. About the same level of skill required to build a Bottlehead kit. For a TOTL DIY amplifier, it is very easy to build. As I said in that post, with all of the parts in front of me, I can build it in 6 hours. I will be writing extremely detailed instructions and info to order all the parts. I am going to build a second one and takes pictures along the way to compile into an instructional PDF.

It is a very good sounding amplifier, if I do say so myself. @Monsterzero is going to review it soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back