The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,996 of 10,028
You turned the amp on and left the house? O.o

I was going to listen to some music when I came back. That was only for a few hours, just enough time for the tubes to be fully warmed up. And yes I know, 30 minutes is usually enough. To be honest, even if I was infront of my computer when it happened, it wouldn't have made a difference. As far as I know, amps/tubes shouldn't burn your house down when they fail. I certainly hope so.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,997 of 10,028
I came across this tube from a seller I know, made by National Union. I have several with the NU name on them but this is not a bad buy considering it has free shipping. One warning though, he lists tubes as good, and strong. One might get a years playing time out of this tube but the price is certainly reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-So...835972?hash=item3b48d2a984:g:lHgAAOSwsc5e5T0L

Tubes like that with the NU name can oftentimes run $40-$50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Natio...brand=National&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,998 of 10,028
Another happy new user of 1578

mid40sguy
124 posts
06-20-2020 7:10pm
My pair of 1980 Melz 1578 from Olga arrived yesterday. After playing 8-10 hours background music in our living room system I sat down to listen.
WOW!
I'm ordering another set of Metz 1578 now. I also ordered a pair of 1954 Metz 6N8S.
What I noticed…. depth, focus and groove. I'm not a huge Kraftwork fan but listening to Tour De France (2009) remaster (M) Tidal I was unable to surf the internet the music kept drawing me in!
Thanks for the heads up Thomas

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,999 of 10,028
Deleted previous writing on "the biggest lie", sorry for the wrong info. I wrote it before I took a deep dive into testers.

The conversion table that translates TV-7 test results into Micromhos is incorrect, it will understate 6SN7 Mutual Conductance by 400 Micromhos or more. If you see TV-7 results in Micromhos, they must be wrong because the conversion table is wrong, so you'd better ask for the original TV-7 test numbers. Also, 104 is not the 100% NOS value of 6SN7.

"The TV-7 minimum recommended value (65%) for each plate of the 6SN7 type tube is 50." is a correct statement, as it's coming from the U.S. Department of Defense. The U.S. Department of Defense issued the TV-7 datasheet booklet, on the booklet they gave out the minimum good value for each type of tubes, which is 65% of NOS.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,000 of 10,028
This is a 6SN7 thread, so I think I should also post here:
================================================

As a fellow tube addict and victim, I have to let you guys know the BIGGEST lie in 6SN7 history represented by almost ALL sellers with TV-7 series tube testers, so that hopefully no one will fall victim to these lies again!

Almost ALL tube sellers with TV-7 tube testers (be it TV-7/U, or TV-7A/U, or TV-7B/U, or TV-7D/U) will list the following statement in their 6SN7 ads, "The TV-7 minimum recommended value (65%) for each plate of the 6SN7 type tube is 50 (Gm=1250)." By the statement, you would derive that a 100% NOS 6SN7 should be measured at 50 / 0.65 = 77 on TV-7.

However, the statement is deadly wrong!!! We all know that a 100% NOS 6SN7 tube should have a mutual conductance of 2600gm. A simple calculation from the statement shows 1250 / 2600 = 48%, which does NOT agree with the 65% claimed by sellers, so the statement is obviously incorrect. I dug into the issue further in the past couple of days, and found the following chart which converts TV-7 readings to mutual conductances (we should look at the Range B column, as TV-7 uses Range B to measure 6SN7 tubes).

TV7_Gm_table.jpg

Using the minimum 50(1250) being only 48% of a 100% NOS 6SN7 that we calculated earlier, we can derive a 100% NOS 6SN7 should be measured at 50 / 0.48 = 104 (1250 / 0.48 = 2600gm) on TV-7. And this agrees exactly with the conversion table above (if we do a linear interpolation between 100 and 110 using the table, 104 corresponds to the 2600gm of a 100% NOS 6SN7).

So the conclusion, "A 100% NOS 2600gm 6SN7 tube should be measured at 104 on TV-7 tube testers". To get the exact percentage quality from TV-7, you just divide the TV-7 reading by 104 (or approximately minus 3 or 4). For example, a 6SN7 measured at 77 on TV-7 is 77 / 104 = 74% of NOS (or using approximation 77 - 3 = 74% of NOS). Also, "The minimum 50 (Gm=1250) on TV-7 is 48% (instead of 65%) of the 100% NOS."

To get a 100% NOS 6SN7 tube, you need to look for a TV-7 measurement of 104 or above. The 77 measurement derived from sellers' false statement will only get you a 74% mediocre tube. "The TV-7 minimum recommended value (65%) for each plate of the 6SN7 type tube is 50 (Gm=1250)." hence 77 is the 100% NOS reading derived from the statement, is the BIGGEST lie in 6SN7 history. Almost ALL tube sellers with TV-7 series testers list this false statement in their 6SN7 ads. I think we should remind or report the sellers when we see the false statement again. In the past couple of years I used to think 77 from TV-7 is a 100% NOS 6SN7 tube, but now I know it's merely a su*king 74% mediocre tube. And I paid a premium for quite some mediocre 6SN7 tubes because of the lies made by sellers with TV-7. Hopefully no one will fall victim again after reading what I wrote above.

Caveat Emptor - Buyers Beware!
:frowning2: Was it something I said? :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2,002 of 10,028
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,003 of 10,028
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MELZ-6...434383?hash=item3da4c5d80f:g:5tEAAOSwe~Ze3mRR

I happened upon this tube and currently own enough of of the 63's to be happy for a while but this could be an excellent buy for one of you. I do not know the seller and cannot address how strongly this tube tests but it has the right indicators and is worth taking a chance on IMHO. Oftentimes these tubes fetch $120-$130.

Boy. That went fast. If anyone here bought it and found a second one to use with it let us know your thoughts!

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #2,004 of 10,028
Boy. That went fast. If anyone here bought it and found a second one to use with it let us know your thoughts!
I know a lot of people and one friend had been asking me if I had extras but mine disappear pretty quickly in amps I build for friends, and I have been known to run four in a Freya +. I own 1578's covering three decades but only but the 63's when I can find them. The others have more pronounced midrange but I am not quite as happy with the highs. The 63 is more balanced over all yet the mids are still wonderful.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,005 of 10,028
I ordered Kenrad vt 231 tube from Ebay dealer " vascotube " or "tube tech" on June 5th Thursday.

Most Ebay dealer ship the item on next day or following day.

But this guy did not show any shipping information by Saturday.

Thus i sent request to give tracking information.

But no response from him.

After going through his measurement " TUBE1) 90/112TUBE2) 100/120 ", I got the impression that this tube is not matched well.

Thus on Sunday I sent him to cancel this order if it had not been shipped.

But no response from him either.

On Monday, I gave him final ultimatum, if he does not respond to his reply, then I will leave negative feedback on him.

But I got no response by 6PM eastern time, thus I left negative feedback on him at his Ebay site.

Then he contacted me and asked me to start return process instead of his cancelling unshipped order.

I started return process but he refused to agree to return proceedure unless I change the feedback on him.

I told him that you had not responded to my three inquires for more than 48 hours.

Thus i can not change my feedback out of my conscience.

He then found out that I am an Asian and gave me racial slur against Asian.

I had tried to resolve this case peacefully.

I told him that if he give me sincere apology about racial slur and cancel the order from his unshipped item, then I will close the case.

But no response for more than 10 days.

I had bought lot of things including Nos tubes in Ebay, but had not had any problem with anyone except this guy.

Most other dealers gave response to my inquiry within 12 hours.

But this guy did not respond to my three inquiries for more than 48 hours.

And then he made a racial slur against me.

I am going to file racial discrimination suit against him.

Stay away from Ebay dealer " vascotube "

Thomas

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,006 of 10,028
I ordered Kenrad vt 231 tube from Ebay dealer " vascotube " or "tube tech" on June 5th Thursday.

Most Ebay dealer ship the item on next day or following day.

But this guy did not show any shipping information by Saturday.

Thus i sent request to give tracking information.

But no response from him.

After going through his measurement " TUBE1) 90/112TUBE2) 100/120 ", I got the impression that this tube is not matched well.

Thus on Sunday I sent him to cancel this order if it had not been shipped.

But no response from him either.

On Monday, I gave him final ultimatum, if he does not respond to his reply, then I will leave negative feedback on him.

But I got no response by 6PM eastern time, thus I left negative feedback on him at his Ebay site.

Then he contacted me and asked me to start return process instead of his cancelling unshipped order.

I started return process but he refused to agree to return proceedure unless I change the feedback on him.

I told him that you had not responded to my three inquires for more than 48 hours.

Thus i can not change my feedback out of my conscience.

He then found out that I am an Asian and gave me racial slur against Asian.

I had tried to resolve this case peacefully.

I told him that if he give me sincere apology about racial slur and cancel the order from his unshipped item, then I will close the case.

But no response for more than 10 days.

I had bought lot of things including Nos tubes in Ebay, but had not had any problem with anyone except this guy.

Most other dealers gave response to my inquiry within 12 hours.

But this guy did not respond to my three inquiries for more than 48 hours.

And then he made a racial slur against me.

I am going to file racial discrimination suit against him.

Stay away from Ebay dealer " vascotube "

Thomas
I'm sorry you had to go through something like that, lot of tension with everything that's going on in the world. He might have shipped that tube after all. Some dealers are really busy sometimes and should answer you promptly if they can. If he did send you the tube just take it and don't deal with him anymore. Not worth the squeeze to prove a point sometimes. Good luck with that tube, and keep us posted.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,007 of 10,028
I'm sorry you had to go through something like that, lot of tension with everything that's going on in the world. He might have shipped that tube after all. Some dealers are really busy sometimes and should answer you promptly if they can. If he did send you the tube just take it and don't deal with him anymore. Not worth the squeeze to prove a point sometimes. Good luck with that tube, and keep us posted.
He did not send tube but refused to return the money either.

He is a terrible guy.

I told him that if you can not respond to inquiry within 24 hours, then you shall not sell the items at Ebay.

I will let him pay for racial slur against me.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2,008 of 10,028

He is a terrible guy.

I told him that if you can not respond to inquiry within 24 hours, then you shall not sell the items at Ebay.

Sometimes you can win by losing.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,010 of 10,028

He is a terrible guy.

With the world trying to educate and elevate itself, this guy must be living under a rock to make a remark about ethnicity as if somehow that is relevant. I am truly sorry you had to endure a racial slur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back