The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,966 of 10,116
I would probably take advantage of your impeccable woodworking skills.
It is harder for me than the electronics lol. I keep practicing on other things. purple cutting board.jpg

Anyway back to 6sn7's, I am listening to some 1952 ribbed plate Fotons and they are better than I remembered, or the Cetron power tube really helps, maybe it is a combination of the two. Anyway these were pretty crappy before I replaced solder and my friend was starting to suspect his Saga as the issue. These tubes are still a bargain if you can lay your hands on some from the fifties.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,967 of 10,116
It is harder for me than the electronics lol. I keep practicing on other things.purple cutting board.jpg

Anyway back to 6sn7's, I am listening to some 1952 ribbed plate Fotons and they are better than I remembered, or the Cetron power tube really helps, maybe it is a combination of the two. Anyway these were pretty crappy before I replaced solder and my friend was starting to suspect his Saga as the issue. These tubes are still a bargain if you can lay your hands on some from the fifties.
I really need to obtain your re soldering process procedures, as I have some CCCP era tubes that need some attention.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,968 of 10,116
I really need to obtain your re soldering process procedures, as I have some CCCP era tubes that need some attention.
Pm me an email address and I will send you photos and explain the process and give you links for the solder I use, it was discontinued by Kester but was bought up and put in small tubes by NTE I think, .020 diameter as I recall.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,969 of 10,116
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,970 of 10,116
I would probably take advantage of your impeccable woodworking skills.

Great. Now his head will be so big his glasses won't fit any more and he won't be able to tell the difference between purpleheart and #4 grade yellow pine... :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,971 of 10,116
Great. Now his head will be so big his glasses won't fit any more and he won't be able to tell the difference between purpleheart and #4 grade yellow pine... :)
Now now, my work is only impeccable if you stand back a ways and kind of squint your eyes. By the way are you not the guy who thinks he should get compensated for the name Frankentube? :ksc75smile:

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,972 of 10,116
Now now, my work is only impeccable if you stand back a ways and kind of squint your eyes. By the way are you not the guy who thinks he should get compensated for the name Frankentube? :ksc75smile:

You mean kind of like how downtown Detroit looks nice...from a distance? :) :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,973 of 10,116
You mean kind of like how downtown Detroit looks nice...from a distance? :) :)

LOL, ok back to tubes. I know I have probably not said a lot about Foton's in the past but the 1952 with Cetron power tube is really impressing me, the bass is certainly there but well defined. I would love to get my hands on more 1952's (hint,hint) and if I were to receive a care package I bet I could make your wife a nice cutting board one day. I have a feeling you are not allowed to be around sharp instruments and I get the impression that you slather everything, including breakfast cereal, in bar-b-cue sauce anyway. You might even have to look up the word charcuterie again if I send such an item.:L3000:

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,974 of 10,116
LOL, ok back to tubes. I know I have probably not said a lot about Foton's in the past but the 1952 with Cetron power tube is really impressing me, the bass is certainly there but well defined. I would love to get my hands on more 1952's (hint,hint) and if I were to receive a care package I bet I could make your wife a nice cutting board one day. I have a feeling you are not allowed to be around sharp instruments and I get the impression that you slather everything, including breakfast cereal, in bar-b-cue sauce anyway. You might even have to look up the word charcuterie again if I send such an item.:L3000:

LOL! I think the last time my wife cooked was around 2014, so not sure she'd remember what a cutting board is used for. :)

Regardless, I'll have to check my stash of '52's. If I have 30 or 40 I suppose I could spare a couple. Pin soldering and break-in not included. :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,975 of 10,116
LOL! I think the last time my wife cooked was around 2014, so not sure she'd remember what a cutting board is used for. :)

Regardless, I'll have to check my stash of '52's. If I have 30 or 40 I suppose I could spare a couple. Pin soldering and break-in not included. :)
lol
I imagine I could spare the time to solder some of those tubes for you as well, if I have to, I suppose. Not that your soldering skills are not supreme and remarkable to behold of course, you are a busy man and tube hoarding is a full time job. I may have to share my GE stash with you as a thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,977 of 10,116
1971, you look in the lower right corner of the Melz logo, that is what it looks like to me.

They can take a little while to burn in but pop that in the Incubus and pay close attention to the mids. :ksc75smile:

If you get any noise in the highs I will walk you through solder replacement but on occasion they sound all right.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,978 of 10,116
1971, you look in the lower right corner of the Melz logo, that is what it looks like to me.

They can take a little while to burn in but pop that in the Incubus and pay close attention to the mids. :ksc75smile:
I know, I fig

I know, I know, and I have a strong feeling what and which your talking about too.. lol. Do I want another pair of ears or a Melz is the question! :D

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,979 of 10,116
I know, I fig

I know, I know, and I have a strong feeling what and which your talking about too.. lol. Do I want another pair of ears or a Melz is the question! :D
I have some from the late 70's but not a 71 so it will be interesting to get your take on that tube.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,980 of 10,116
I have some from the late 70's but not a 71 so it will be interesting to get your take on that tube.
Just lit her up, no break in needed, I think I'm a Melz fan boy now :D .. wow. Sensational. 5998 pushing from behind, great mix. Mr. P.C John Coltrane. & your Art Pepper "Imagination"... all day..lol, starting get really familiar with these two tracks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back