The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,981 of 10,116
Just lit her up, no break in needed, I think I'm a Melz fan boy now :D .. wow. Sensational. 5998 pushing from behind, great mix. Mr. P.C John Coltrane. & your Art Pepper "Imagination"... all day..lol, starting get really familiar with these two tracks
Now if you are adventuresome, here are a few tunes I use for testing, I am not saying they are lovely, or entertaining, just very good test tracks IMHO. You may want to be sitting down with a nice adult beverage when you listen to a couple of them, here is an easy one first.

Nite Crawler......Larry Carlton
Rango II.....Vulfpeck
Roustabout......Beats Antique
Robot Rock.......Daft Punk

oh and Night Time in the Switching Yard.....Warren Zevon, I have used it as a test track since the album Excitable Boy was released.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,982 of 10,116
Now if you are adventuresome, here are a few tunes I use for testing, I am not saying they are lovely, or entertaining, just very good test tracks IMHO. You may want to be sitting down with a nice adult beverage when you listen to a couple of them, here is an easy one first.

Rango II.....Vulfpeck

oh and Night Time in the Switching Yard.....Warren Zevon, I have used it as a test track since the album Excitable Boy was released.
I'll have to grab that adult beverage ASAP!!

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,983 of 10,116
I'll have to grab that adult beverage ASAP!!
Listening to a 63 Melz with a Cetron power tube in a glorified Incubus amp with $3k in parts right now.
The track is The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove....Dead Can Dance
Most everyone knows this as a fine test track I would think. We are three hours ahead of you here so the sun is nearly over the yardarm, but then when you are working from home, most any time can be happy hour.

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,984 of 10,116
Listening to a 63 Melz with a Cetron power tube in a glorified Incubus amp with $3k in parts right now.
The track is The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove....Dead Can Dance
Most everyone knows this as a fine test track I would think. We are three hours ahead of you here so the sun is nearly over the yardarm, but then when you are working from home, most any time can be happy hour.
Must be nice... My stay at home mandate ends Sunday. Starting the new summer hours of 10-4s ( 10 hour days Fridays off).... Wup the f-k weee. I can't wait. Not. We'll see if I can sneak out for the beer run. The last pairing on the Darkvoice that I really liked was the Chatham 6080 and Raytheon VT231. Have it on the Incubus, but first, that 🍻. 😉 IMG_20200618_155431.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,985 of 10,116
She's drop dead gorgeous 😍 just in, let's see how long this infatuation lasts. #myfirstmelz not sure how to date these. OTH 23 13 on the side. V1-71 on the the logo.
IMG_20200618_135851.jpgIMG_20200618_135931.jpg

Sweet! I have several different vintages of the non-hole plates, and they play in the same field as the Fotons (little different sound, but quite good). But still none are as good as the hole plate versions.

Speaking of Fotons, these just arrived today after a forever+infinity wait for them to arrive. Some '57's, a couple '59's, and 4 ribbed plate '56's. Cool! I have both ribbed and non-ribbed plate '56's (guessing that was the year they changed the plate configuration), and the ribbed ones do sound better. Not huge, but noticeable. Haven't tested them yet...hopefully no dogs so I can send all 10 to @Paladin79 for resoldering. LOL!

1592523127332.png

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,986 of 10,116
Sweet! I have several different vintages of the non-hole plates, and they play in the same field as the Fotons (little different sound, but quite good). But still none are as good as the hole plate versions.

Speaking of Fotons, these just arrived today after a forever+infinity wait for them to arrive. Some '57's, a couple '59's, and 4 ribbed plate '56's. Cool! I have both ribbed and non-ribbed plate '56's (guessing that was the year they changed the plate configuration), and the ribbed ones do sound better. Not huge, but noticeable. Haven't tested them yet...hopefully no dogs so I can send all 10 to @Paladin79 for resoldering. LOL!

1592523127332.png
Give me a little time to add an addition on my house for when the semi backs up. I wonder if my zoning allows for a loading dock? I know how many Russian tubes you have.😉

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,988 of 10,116

Rango II.....Vulfpeck

I just accidentally listened to Roustabout by Elvis Presley....and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weird. And you just messed me up real bad with this track (Roustabout......Beats Antique) ...bad...I'm beside myself right now wondering what da F^%k is this S&^t ...this is the track you want to listen too... https://tidal.com/browse/track/93436725 Still Loving You - Scorpions

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,989 of 10,116
I just accidentally listened to Roustabout by Elvis Presley....and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weird. And you just messed me up real bad with this track (Roustabout......Beats Antique) ...bad...I'm beside myself right now wondering what da F^%k is this S&^t ...this is the track you want to listen too... https://tidal.com/browse/track/93436725 Still Loving You - Scorpions
I prefaced it by saying it was not great music, just a good test track lol. A young employee of mine mentioned it mostly because of the percussion.
A great album by the way.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,990 of 10,116
I prefaced it by saying it was not great music, just a good test track lol. A young employee of mine mentioned it mostly because of the percussion.
Yup ..you did... I should've picked that up. Not that you need it but, your back in my graces... :D (mind you i just downed a 32 ounce beer so forgive my forwardness) yeah, light weight :frowning2:

So Who else got something in the mail today!! Anybody?? come on!!! Share!!!

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,991 of 10,116
Good and bad news my friends.. my Woo WA22 is now in working condition with a new fuse, and I found the guilty tube. And unfortunately it is my very expensive rectifier, the takatsuki 274B. What happened absolutely shocked me, as I've never seen that happen before. It didn't glow in the first 10 seconds when I inserted the tube, then all of a sudden it started glowing VERY, VERY brightly. It's like turning on a lightbulb in your bathroom or something. That's how I would describe what happened. No it did not glow as bright (obviously!) , but the way it started glowing is exactly the same. Then, there were sparkles inside the tube. Like fireworks.

The tube is supposed to have 50-100 hours on it, according to the seller. Hmmmm. 1000$ CAD flushed down the drain. I asked the seller if he still had a warranty but I expect not really, as this is a used tube. I hope nothing bad will happen to my takatsuki 300B'S!!!

By the way I should recieve the MELZ either tomorrow or monday. I cannot wait!!!

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,992 of 10,116
Good and bad news my friends.. my Woo WA22 is now in working condition with a new fuse, and I found the guilty tube. And unfortunately it is my very expensive rectifier, the takatsuki 274B. What happened absolutely shocked me, as I've never seen that happen before. It didn't glow in the first 10 seconds when I inserted the tube, then all of a sudden it started glowing VERY, VERY brightly. It's like turning on a lightbulb in your bathroom or something. That's how I would describe what happened. No it did not glow as bright (obviously!) , but the way it started glowing is exactly the same. Then, there were sparkles inside the tube. Like fireworks.

The tube is supposed to have 50-100 hours on it, according to the seller. Hmmmm. 1000$ CAD flushed down the drain. I asked the seller if he still had a warranty but I expect not really, as this is a used tube. I hope nothing bad will happen to my takatsuki 300B'S!!!

By the way I should recieve the MELZ either tomorrow or monday. I cannot wait!!!
Not all that familiar with rectifiers, do those need to be biased? Or is your Woo Audio self biased?

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,993 of 10,116

Your rectifier has a short. I'm not clear from your description -- did this happen with your first use of this tube after receiving it? If so, it was either defective to begin with, or it took a hard bump in shipping that caused one or more if the elements to shift and either get close enough to touch or close enough to arc (I suspect the latter due to the fireworks show). Either way, if this happened on very first use, the seller should be liable for replacement or refund as you did NOT receive a working tube. His fault or the shipping company's fault is irrelevant -- you didn't get what you paid for.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,994 of 10,116
Your rectifier has a short. I'm not clear from your description -- did this happen with your first use of this tube after receiving it? If so, it was either defective to begin with, or it took a hard bump in shipping that caused one or more if the elements to shift and either get close enough to touch or close enough to arc (I suspect the latter due to the fireworks show). Either way, if this happened on very first use, the seller should be liable for replacement or refund as you did NOT receive a working tube. His fault or the shipping company's fault is irrelevant -- you didn't get what you paid for.

I wish this happened the day I recieved it! Unfortunately not, the tube worked perfectly for a few days. I turned the amp on, left my house for a few hours, came back. I noticed the amp had no power. Tried to turn it on, nothing at all. The tube caused the fuse to fail (which is a very good thing) swapped the fuse for a new one yesterday, then it's literally fireworks inside the tube. It died infront my very own eyes! But at least my amp still works perfectly so I am relieved.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,995 of 10,116
I wish this happened the day I recieved it! Unfortunately not, the tube worked perfectly for a few days. I turned the amp on, left my house for a few hours, came back. I noticed the amp had no power. Tried to turn it on, nothing at all. The tube caused the fuse to fail (which is a very good thing) swapped the fuse for a new one yesterday, then it's literally fireworks inside the tube. It died infront my very own eyes! But at least my amp still works perfectly so I am relieved.
You turned the amp on and left the house? O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back