The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #541 of 9,985
The numbers are XI 69, so I assume that is November 1969...still burning them in. Typical Russian tubes...both hum like crazy. On 23rd hour of burn in...but my Ken Rad VT-231 took 118 hours of burn-in to stop humming.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #542 of 9,985
I would like to make sure that everyone is aware of how good the 7N7 (14N7) sound. These are early 6SN7 and 12SN7 direct equivalents that in my listening experience rival the best NOS 6SN7s. They are cheap and only require a loctal to octal adapter to work. The inexpensive adapter is easily found on eBay. I use these as output tubes in my LTA MicroZOTL v2 and new LTA MicroZOTL Preamp.

On another topic does anyone have a source for the "holy grail" Russian Meltz 6H8C/6N8S 1578 OTC 5 hole plate metal base (did I get that right?) tubes? This is one of the last 6SN7 type tubes that I still want to try...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #543 of 9,985
I've been using the 7n7 for some time now they are nice but have never tried any russian tubes..

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #544 of 9,985
I would like to make sure that everyone is aware of how good the 7N7 (14N7) sound. These are early 6SN7 and 12SN7 direct equivalents that in my listening experience rival the best NOS 6SN7s. They are cheap and only require a loctal to octal adapter to work. The inexpensive adapter is easily found on eBay. I use these as output tubes in my LTA MicroZOTL v2 and new LTA MicroZOTL Preamp.

On another topic does anyone have a source for the "holy grail" Russian Meltz 6H8C/6N8S 1578 OTC 5 hole plate metal base (did I get that right?) tubes? This is one of the last 6SN7 type tubes that I still want to try...
Just started this tube search journey, 2 weeks ago, and have 3 tubes coming in already...what did I get myself into? :D Now the 7n7, interesting.

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #545 of 9,985

I ordered a couple on ebay from Ukraine guaranteed to be great but got scammed - they were very staticy and noisy, so I ended up getting a refund. :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #547 of 9,985
I ordered a couple on ebay from Ukraine guaranteed to be great but got scammed - they were very staticy and noisy, so I ended up getting a refund. :frowning2:

Glad to hear that they at least gave you a refund. Try Brent Jesse Recording. He is an excellent seller and carries these sometimes...

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #549 of 9,985
FYI -- from what I've read, the Melz are notorious for having static. This is due to the solder and age of the tube, but it can typically be resolved by re-flowing the solder on the tube pins. You can do this by running a hot soldering iron up and down the pins to melt and re-flow the solder inside. Be sure to keep the tube in an upright position with pins pointing downward as one does not want to have solder flow into the tube base and possibly bridging pins. An electronics soldering vise or something similar that can secure the tube in the right position while you perform this task is recommended as it does get too hot for hand-holding. Several have reported this as resolving the static issue with their Melz tube and while I've not done it specifically on a Melz, I have done this on several older tubes that exhibited static and the static was gone afterwards.

Not recommended on a cucumber, though. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #551 of 9,985
Same seller I got mine from. Had the static and I reflowed the solder and now working flawless.

Someone said they think they are a tier 2 tube below the likes of Brimar 13D2, Sylvania bad boy or Mullard ECC32/33 but I've found, in Lyr 3 at least, they are on par if not beating my Marconi B65 and Brimar black glass.

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #554 of 9,985
Last week i got pair of Shuguang 6N8PA "globe" tubes. I must say these are pretty awesome tubes: dead silent, balanced and extended sound. Imo as good as CV-181-Z treasure. If not better.

These are pretty large, diameter is 56mm. I use these in my power amps with TAD EF86 and TungSol KT66's. Didn't fit to my pre amp (i knew that sockets were too close so no surprises there, but sure would have been interesting to try that too)...

So, my 6SN7 preferences: pre amp Shuguang CV-181-Z and power amp these 6N8PA's.

cheers

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #555 of 9,985
Last week i got pair of Shuguang 6N8PA "globe" tubes. I must say these are pretty awesome tubes: dead silent, balanced and extended sound. Imo as good as CV-181-Z treasure. If not better.

These are pretty large, diameter is 56mm. I use these in my power amps with TAD EF86 and TungSol KT66's. Didn't fit to my pre amp (i knew that sockets were too close so no surprises there, but sure would have been interesting to try that too)...

So, my 6SN7 preferences: pre amp Shuguang CV-181-Z and power amp these 6N8PA's.

cheers
So your all Shuguanged out then, nice, got any pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back