The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #496 of 10,028
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #497 of 10,028
Hello, I am trying to figure where these (pic #1) fit in the list. According to this page http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6sn7.html the GT is the same as VT-231 "type 1" and that fits with some of the comments in the OP of this thread. But these have flat plates, like "type 2" VT-231, and both of these guides refer to a rectangular plate for the "type 1".

I am not sure what I have actually fits any of the descriptions, it seams the flat plates aren't referenced by anyone until the VT-231 with extra support rods came out (pic #2).

When people talk of the Raytheon VT-231 flat plate being a very good tube, do they mean these or, just the later variant with support rods (pic #2)

***EDIT***: The more searching I do, it seems the VT-231 version of this is all but nonexistent. I do not believe this model is what is meant when people say "VT-231 flat plate"

kfUDGn7h.jpg

CTqBajNh.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #498 of 10,028
Since many have talked about 6F8G tubes here, I hope it's okay my posting in this thread.

I've just acquired a couple beautiful Ken-Rad 6F8G round plate tubes, and am wanting to learn how to interpret their date codes.

The tube to the left marked "Ken-Rad" and "VT-99" has a date code of "P2R," and the tube to the right marked "WARDS SUPER AIRLINE" has a date code of "E9R."

Their constructions are identical except that the WARDS has copper tabs holding the plates (see color difference between the tubes). Possibly, I'd guess, that the copper version is of earlier manufacture--but I'm not sure and would really like to know for a fact. So, if anyone has a data sheet for Ken-Rad date codes, or can tell me how to interpret them, I'd be deeply appreciative. Thanks so much and happy listening!
P1070868-lightened.JPG

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #500 of 10,028
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #504 of 10,028
Power transformers convert AC voltage from your mains up or down to another AC voltage, and block DC votage; Input and output transformers are used for impedance matching from the input signal to the driver or from the power tube to speaker. Interstage transformers either transform the impedance of a signal between two tube stages, or when they needed to convert between single-ended and differential signals.

"Fry" means you overload the transformer on the input side with too much voltage, usually the power tranformer.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #505 of 10,028
Not had time to read the whole thread,

Any opinions on the metal base versions of the Russian 6N8S tubes? (Also known as 1578, or, MELZ etc)

They seem to command premium prices from what i see, i want to know if it's just because of rarity or if there's really any sonic value to this pricing.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #506 of 10,028

Any opinions on the metal base versions of the Russian 6N8S tubes? (Also known as 1578, or, MELZ etc)

They seem to command premium prices from what i see, i want to know if it's just because of rarity or if there's really any sonic value to this pricing.

The "Search this thread" field above is your friend. Search 1578 you will get a number of impressions...

:)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #507 of 10,028
Power transformers convert AC voltage from your mains up or down to another AC voltage, and block DC votage; Input and output transformers are used for impedance matching from the input signal to the driver or from the power tube to speaker. Interstage transformers either transform the impedance of a signal between two tube stages, or when they needed to convert between single-ended and differential signals.

"Fry" means you overload the transformer on the input side with too much voltage, usually the power tranformer.

Thank you sir, I may not understand all these stuff. My question is will these transformers damage my amp or my headphone sir?

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #508 of 10,028
Thank you sir, I may not understand all these stuff. My question is will these transformers damage my amp or my headphone sir?

Lyr3%20pcb%201920.jpg

The transformers are on the right of the amp in this picture. If you use the wrong tubes or power voltages (115v vs 230) you can burn out or "fry" those transformers resulting in a non-functional amp...

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #509 of 10,028

Most metal base versions of the Russian 6N8S tubes are not the famous 1578.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back