The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #437 of 10,003
Nice picture. That is a beautiful tube (in many ways)!

Looking at the top of the tube does it say 6SN7W or 6SN7A?

If so, prices I've found for the 6SN7W run from about $100 for rougher appearance to $150-200 for the physical condition shown in your picture. This is for tubes that test to (or very near) new electrically - regardless of appearance.

The 6SN7W was originally made for the US Navy during WWII. It also comes in black base versions (no metal base) that are tall or short bottle (glass). IMHO they rate in order: metal base, black base tall bottle, black base Short bottle. However it is very close between them and regardless of base or size, all my 6SN7W exceed all of my other 6SN7, Sylvania or otherwise (in my system). This includes the highly-rated Tung-Sol black round plate, which is my second favorite 6SN7 tube.

Never seen one with the M&R imprint you mentioned, but if it it is a 6SN7W or 6SN7A it's a winner in my book.

All IMHO.

-Eric

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #438 of 10,003
Hi guys,

I read the first post and some others, but I cannot say I have found my answer. I plan to upgrade a Little Dot MK2 via adapters to Siemens C3G as driver tubes and 6SN7 as power tubes. I try to find a good match, for a fast/clean/detailed setup to pair with Beyerdynamic T1.2
Which tubes do you reccomend for more a more detailed/colder sound? I have found some WGTA from Sylvania and Tung-Sol.

Thanks for advice!

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #440 of 10,003
Nice picture. That is a beautiful tube (in many ways)!

Looking at the top of the tube does it say 6SN7W or 6SN7A?

If so, prices I've found for the 6SN7W run from about $100 for rougher appearance to $150-200 for the physical condition shown in your picture. This is for tubes that test to (or very near) new electrically - regardless of appearance.

The 6SN7W was originally made for the US Navy during WWII. It also comes in black base versions (no metal base) that are tall or short bottle (glass). IMHO they rate in order: metal base, black base tall bottle, black base Short bottle. However it is very close between them and regardless of base or size, all my 6SN7W exceed all of my other 6SN7, Sylvania or otherwise (in my system). This includes the highly-rated Tung-Sol black round plate, which is my second favorite 6SN7 tube.

Never seen one with the M&R imprint you mentioned, but if it it is a 6SN7W or 6SN7A it's a winner in my book.

All IMHO.

-Eric

Here is a pic of the boxes

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #441 of 10,003
Very cool boxes, in very good shape!

My guess is these boxes are post war packaging. A lot of military equipment was sold as surplus and maybe Sylvania saw an opportunity selling replacement tubes.

M & R sounds similar to today's term MRO (maintenance, repair ans overhaul) used in aviation and industrial manufacturing.

The top should be printed with 6SN7W or 6SN7A.

Most importantly there should only be two holes (or rivets) per plate.

The typical WWII 6SN7W packaging can be seen here:

http://www.tubemaze.info/sylvania-chs-6sn7w-metal-base/

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #442 of 10,003
Very cool boxes, in very good shape!

My guess is these boxes are post war packaging. A lot of military equipment was sold as surplus and maybe Sylvania saw an opportunity selling replacement tubes.

M & R sounds similar to today's term MRO (maintenance, repair ans overhaul) used in aviation and industrial manufacturing.

The top should be printed with 6SN7W or 6SN7A.

Most importantly there should only be two holes (or rivets) per plate.

The typical WWII 6SN7W packaging can be seen here:

http://www.tubemaze.info/sylvania-chs-6sn7w-metal-base/

My understanding is that during the war some tubes were available to the public and sold with MR markings rather than repackaged military stock

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #443 of 10,003
Makes sense - that some (likely small) portion of the overall tube production was allocated for civilian M&R purposes.

From the picture it looks identical to the 6SN7W. What is imprinted on the top?

Do you own these?

Another thought is the boxes may not be original to the tube. Several of the 6SN7 tubes I've bought came in wonderful vintage boxes that were not correct to the tube.

What's printed on the box end-flap?

What all is printer on the metal base? "M & R" or maybe an anchor?

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #444 of 10,003
Hey folks, I will be buying a Schiit Audio Freya soon and would like some advice on tubes that would work great in it. The two right tubes are the differential voltage gain stage. The two left tubes are for the cathode follower output stage.

I have a nice matched quad set of NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA tubes from 1967 that I can use in place of the stock tubes. How good are those tubes? What tubes might be as good or better for Freya?

Which stage is more important when it comes to the tubes? The gain stage or the output stage? Should I be looking at different tube types for each stage?

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #445 of 10,003
Hey folks, I will be buying a Schiit Audio Freya soon and would like some advice on tubes that would work great in it. The two right tubes are the differential voltage gain stage. The two left tubes are for the cathode follower output stage.

I have a nice matched quad set of NOS Sylvania 6SN7WGTA tubes from 1967 that I can use in place of the stock tubes. How good are those tubes? What tubes might be as good or better for Freya?

Which stage is more important when it comes to the tubes? The gain stage or the output stage? Should I be looking at different tube types for each stage?

It will depend on the kind of sound you want from the freya as different tubes have different flavour. The driver/gain stage will have a bigger impact compared to follower stage. As long as the pairs are matched you wont have to go for all 4 same tubes unless you want the exact sound of those particular kind of tubes. Otherwise you can blend in two different pairs.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #446 of 10,003
What is a reasonable price these days for a matched pair of real Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes?

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #447 of 10,003
I won 4 genuine 3 hole bad boys in a bid for $186.00 but before that I had purchased a pair for $140.00, so it's kind of like be patient and see what shows up and hope only a few people are looking.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #449 of 10,003
I won 4 genuine 3 hole bad boys in a bid for $186.00 but before that I had purchased a pair for $140.00, so it's kind of like be patient and see what shows up and hope only a few people are looking.

Brent Jesse, the owner of AudioTubes, has said that the two hole version performs identically to the 3 hole version. Looking at the tube construction, they do appear identical except for the holes in the plates. Thoughts?

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #450 of 10,003
Brent Jesse, the owner of AudioTubes, has said that the two hole version performs identically to the 3 hole version. Looking at the tube construction, they do appear identical except for the holes in the plates. Thoughts?

It would be fun to know the answer to this as it relates to Freya but I haven't gone quite that far down the rabbit hole yet to get four more tubes to make a direct comparison. This stuff won't be around forever so I suppose the more we know the better. I have certainly appreciated the info collected on the first page of this thread to use as a reference, it seems like a good road map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back