The Reference 6SN7 Thread
May 31, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,786 of 10,006
It all makes perfect sense now. You design an amp using GE tubes, and once you get it to where it sounds good, the GE's come out and plugging in ANY other tube makes the amp spectacular. Pretty ingenious! :)
I have to do something with all those GE tubes, even Finnegan will not play with them unless I lay them on a bed of catnip. I used some in headphone stands but I have been too busy to make many of them lately. I wired them so they glowed like working tubes. I also found a photo showing a Melz or Foton tube during the process of solder replacement, in case any of you consider trying this at home please ask for instructions first lol. IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0689 (1).jpg

May 31, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,787 of 10,006
I have to do something with all those GE tubes, even Finnegan will not play with them unless I lay them on a bed of catnip. I used some in headphone stands but I have been too busy to make many of them lately. I wired them so they glowed like working tubes. I also found a photo showing a Melz or Foton tube during the process of solder replacement, in case any of you consider trying this at home please ask for instructions first lol.IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0689 (1).jpg

I suppose I could do a short video of *me* resoldering pins. Sometimes seeing how not to do something properly can be more instructive than seeing how to do it properly. Just trying to help, as usual. :)

And Finnegan continues to impress with his elevated level of cat sense. I predict @Ripper2860 will be looking for a Finnegan of his own in the near future. :)

May 31, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,788 of 10,006
I suppose I could do a short video of *me* resoldering pins. Sometimes seeing how not to do something properly can be more instructive than seeing how to do it properly. Just trying to help, as usual. :)

And Finnegan continues to impress with his elevated level of cat sense. I predict @Ripper2860 will be looking for a Finnegan of his own in the near future. :)
In an effort to not drill holes in the front of this wonderful honey locust I am going to mount resistor ladder pots on either side of the 6sn7 that will go into this amp. This will allow an extremely short run of high quality wire to the tube grid.steampunk incubus.jpg That is 1/8 inch patinated copper, it makes for an excellent ground system as well as adding about two pounds of weight that cut down on microphonics. I may not be able to run pairs of 6j5's but sometimes you just have to sacrifice functionality for looks.

May 31, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,789 of 10,006
In an effort to not drill holes in the front of this wonderful honey locust I am going to mount resistor ladder pots on either side of the 6sn7 that will go into this amp. This will allow an extremely short run of high quality wire to the tube grid.steampunk incubus.jpg That is 1/8 inch patinated copper, it makes for an excellent ground system as well as adding about two pounds of weight that cut down on microphonics. I may not be able to run pairs of 6j5's but sometimes you just have to sacrifice functionality for looks.

Now all you need to do is glue some googly-eyes on the pot knobs, and then mount this on the front of the case just under them. :)

VU Meter.jpg

May 31, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,790 of 10,006
Now all you need to do is glue some googly-eyes on the pot knobs, and then mount this on the front of the case just under them. :)

VU Meter.jpg
LMAO, um I intend to have my Cowen filter turned on until this project is complete, as much as I would just love to follow some of your suggestions.steampunk 2.jpg

May 31, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,791 of 10,006
BTW -- there is an IGNORE USER feature... :wink:

May 31, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,792 of 10,006
I may grab one of the amps you own and work with it a bit. They use some decent components and wiring scheme but folks seem to be modifying them for a reason lol. There are things I would change and I only glanced inside one for an hour or so as I repaired one for a friend. I just listened enough to know it was working and did not spend any time with other tubes.

I may be able to get a loaner amp to you so you can hear what an OTL amp is capable of. In with the amp are four 6sn7's with their identities concealed, it would be a fun experiment for you to hear them in your amp and then in mine and then you would have a better idea if good tubes will help your amp.
The amp I have is OTL, and the cult modding community (of this amp) found out you could lift the veil of this amp with a few tweaks inside. My first tubed amp. And I enjoy it over the iFi unit I have. The few amps I looked at are the Elise and La Figaro. (Looked..not heard... ) listening to a custom tubed amp would be a delight. I've seen some of your amps and those amps are a work of art.

May 31, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,794 of 10,006
The amp I have is OTL, and the cult modding community (of this amp) found out you could lift the veil of this amp with a few tweaks inside. My first tubed amp. And I enjoy it over the iFi unit I have. The few amps I looked at are the Elise and La Figaro. (Looked..not heard... ) listening to a custom tubed amp would be a delight. I've seen some of your amps and those amps are a work of art.
I have one that does not have a pre-amp out that is pretty basic in tulip poplar and ebony I will try to send. I did use some very good components though. The only thing I ask is that you pay shipping to the next person I suggest, in the U.S.

May 31, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,796 of 10,006
Do you really want the meter upside down?
Bill wants me to put a smiley face on the amp, the meter is the mouth. OMG I am starting to understand the guy! Time to change hobbies, maybe wine tasting, that sounds safe and Bill only buys the boxes anyway.

May 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #1,797 of 10,006
Bill wants me to put a smiley face on the amp, the meter is the mouth. OMG I am starting to understand the guy! Time to change hobbies, maybe wine tasting, that sounds safe and Bill only buys the boxes anyway.
I wondered if he listens to music while standing on his head. Sorry if I misinterpreted his desires.

May 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,798 of 10,006
If you want to keep Bill occupied, ask him about automobile tires. 😄

May 31, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,799 of 10,006
I wondered if he listens to music while standing on his head. Sorry if I misinterpreted his desires.
I would not put that past him, it might explain some things. The man has some ways about him that are just not right. :ksc75smile:

May 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,800 of 10,006

Bill can't afford tube dampers so he places his tube amps upside down on the stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back