The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #4,336 of 4,815
I wonder how it is possible to measure volume levels correctly - without having to spend hundreds of dollars for special equipment? I also listen to music (according to the app) at 100db-105dB levels - lower levels are not loud enough, especially in music with a wide dynamic range (like concerts & symphonies).
The actually expensive part of the measurement would be to figure out how sensitive the headphone/earphone is once you actually put it in/on your own ears. Generic sensitivity measurements are already published by the manufacturers as well as by some third party reviewers (such as Tyll) and generally they are 1-2dB off compared to each other. I don't remember coming across a 3dB difference but I also only ever check on headphones, not IEMs. If you take the published sensitivity as "granted" (ie not off by a wide margin) then the rest of the measurement can be done quite cheaply because all that is left is to measure/calculate how much voltage is sent to the headphones.

I never had the qudelix but as far as I know, it can already measure where the "peak" output voltage is set to. The sensitvity of the headphone can be entered manually I think.
I have no reason to think that this would be inaccurate but if you don't trust it, you could borrow a multimeter that can measure AC voltages to confirm the output voltage yourself. In my experience, they are fairly common household equipment. You could also buy them new or second hand if you want to stay away from unknown brands for less than 100$. Even if you ended up with a truly, truly horrible (but still properly working) multimeter that was +/- 10% that would still translate to less than +/-1dB inaccuracy. In terms of accuracy, this is really the least of your problems and the part that is the easiest to get right.

There's this blog post that points out the qudelix ignores the volume level of the digital signal. Essentially, the qudelix tells you what the output level of the headphone would be if you played back a full scale sine wave. If you did just that, it would be quite accurate. However, you will have to compensate yourself for the volume if you play back something else. The way to do that is to figure out the RMS level of the digital file you are listening to. This can be done with free programs, foobar+dynamic range plugin can do it(yuck), audacity can do it right out of the box. A full scale sine wave is -3dBFS rms. If your music comes out to let's say -13dBFS rms, then your music is 10dB quieter than the full scale sine wave. That means you have to subtract 10dB from whatever the qudelix told you to get the volume level for your music instead of the full scale sine wave. If you used foobar with the dynamic range meter you would have to subtract 13dB because the meter uses a different, "unique" definition of RMS compared to audacity (and the rest of the world basically...). If the qudelix works well, this could already get you in the correct ballpark with some caveats and there's little reason to worry if you got a something that's way below safe listening levels. I used this technique (except with a multimeter) to measure my listening levels and it came out to around 70-80dBSPL rms with 80dBSPL being almost uncomfortably loud.

If you don't trust the qudelix you'll have to make the voltage measurement yourself, do the bit of the math that the qudelix does to convert the voltage measurement from the multimeter to dBSPL but that part is fairly easy as well, it's like a weekend project for people who know what a multimeter is but never measured the output of a headphone amp.

Something else to be aware of is that the sensitivity is typically given at only 1 frequency. This wouldn't be a problem if headpones had a flat frequency response. Since they don't, you have to look up a frequency response graph to confirm that the frequency point is not placed in a dip or a peak. Even if it is placed at a representative point of the graph, this is still something that also causes some inaccuracy and the amount of inaccuracy depends on both how flat the headphones' frequency response is and the music's exact spectrum. Technically, it's possible to make a software that could import a frequency response and analyze the spectrum of digital file being played back and spit out how much of the overall level is being amplified/reduced but that's far more complicated than just reading the RMS and I don't think such a tool exists yet. If the frequency response don't have peaks or dips that are both big and relatively wideband it's still fine though and you can totally get in the correct ballpark. Some of the differences can be eyeballed as well, for example if a headphone is known for rolling off some low frequencies, then the measurement would report slightly higher than the real SPL numbers with bass heavy music, probably not so much with music with little bass. One could go as far as manually defining how much of the low frequencies are being rolled off by looking up a frequency graph, then using a spectrum analyzer to find how much of the music's spectrum is down that low and use that to calculate how much the overall SPL is being attenuated by the low frequency cutoff.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #4,337 of 4,815
i read that there is peq chip inside what is advantage over e.g power equilizer on android?
I don’t know if this is an “advantage,” but one thing you can do with the 5K is you can use the same EQ setting in all devices that can pair with it or connect to it.

Connect it to a desktop and it will have that EQ constantly. Same with a laptop, phone, tablet, whatever.

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #4,338 of 4,815
I've noticed most other portable amps I've looked at list just power in mw, but the Qudelix 5K lists "mw per channel", is this the exact same spec or are other amps summing the two channels together? i.e. if another amp like the Xduoo XD-05 Basic says it has 500mW output, is this more than double what the Qudelix 5K has? Or does the "240mW per channel" mean that it has 480mW total by the metrix the Xduoo uses and that they're roughly the same?

Trying to figure this out because I'm trying to buy a portable amp for my T50RP 50th Anniversary edition, and I'm currently eyeing said two models, the Qudelix 5K, and the Xduoo XD-05 Basic.

Currently it seems the pros of the Qudelix are: Bluetooth, and a massive pro of being able to store EQ profiles on the device (which would mean stuff like finally being able to EQ when listening on my iPad which doesn't have system wide EQ ability), smaller size/more portable, it's only 2/3 of the price, and it accepts 2.5mm balanced so I don't need any adapter since my T50-50 comes with a 2.5 to 2.5 balanced cable.

The main pro of the Xduoo XD-05 Basic being it having 500mW output - but if I'm misunderstanding the spec and its power output IS actually similar to the Qudelix then the Qudelix makes more sense for those other advantages I mentioned.

Anyone know? Thanks a ton!

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #4,339 of 4,815
I've noticed most other portable amps I've looked at list just power in mw, but the Qudelix 5K lists "mw per channel", is this the exact same spec or are other amps summing the two channels together? i.e. if another amp like the Xduoo XD-05 Basic says it has 500mW output, is this more than double what the Qudelix 5K has? Or does the "240mW per channel" mean that it has 480mW total by the metrix the Xduoo uses and that they're roughly the same?

Trying to figure this out because I'm trying to buy a portable amp for my T50RP 50th Anniversary edition, and I'm currently eyeing said two models, the Qudelix 5K, and the Xduoo XD-05 Basic.

Currently it seems the pros of the Qudelix are: Bluetooth, and a massive pro of being able to store EQ profiles on the device (which would mean stuff like finally being able to EQ when listening on my iPad which doesn't have system wide EQ ability), smaller size/more portable, it's only 2/3 of the price, and it accepts 2.5mm balanced so I don't need any adapter since my T50-50 comes with a 2.5 to 2.5 balanced cable.

The main pro of the Xduoo XD-05 Basic being it having 500mW output - but if I'm misunderstanding the spec and its power output IS actually similar to the Qudelix then the Qudelix makes more sense for those other advantages I mentioned.

Anyone know? Thanks a ton!
240 mw per channel is 240 mw, not 480mw, so the Xduoo XD05 basic has double the power. That said, I've owned the XD05 plus, which has 1W and I'll take the Qudelix over the Xduoo all day, just because I have more than enough power with the 5K and I rather have the features over the power.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #4,342 of 4,815
I have a tangential question.

Is there a need to get more powerful amps if you can achieve a safe and audible volume only by maxing the volume output?

Or is “headroom” needed?

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #4,344 of 4,815
10dB is a tenfold difference in power (log scale and all that)

3 dB is 1,99 times the difference, so safe to say, double.
While you are correct that a 10dB increase in power corresponds to a tenfold difference, @CactusPete23 also remembers correctly more or less. This is because all else being equal, a 10dB/tenfold increase in sound power corresponds to about doubling the loudness, ie making something sound twice as loud.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #4,345 of 4,815
I have easy-to-drive headphones, 105db/35 ohm. With the Qudelix I get plenty of loudness from balanced output, Normal gain. However when I use the iFi hip dac, more powerful, the soundstage and headroom improves a lot. Does the extra power, despite not being used, make a difference?

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #4,346 of 4,815
I have easy-to-drive headphones, 105db/35 ohm. With the Qudelix I get plenty of loudness from balanced output, Normal gain. However when I use the iFi hip dac, more powerful, the soundstage and headroom improves a lot. Does the extra power, despite not being used, make a difference?
You're sure you are listening at comparable volumes? Everything at default settings?

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #4,348 of 4,815
did anyone already have the issue, that when the 5k is in auto output selection, that it will not switch from balance to SE, if you plug in a 3.5mm connection? mine stays in balance and the only thing i hear are the high frequencys of the media played. i tried resetting the hardware, but still. when i select single ended manually it works tho. any suggestions? had no problems with my unit until today.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #4,349 of 4,815
What's the best way to avoid adjusting volume between EQ presets? I'm using an EQ with -8.4db pre-gain to avoid clipping but whenever I switch between my EQ and stock I have to go and adjust the master volume overall from -12db to -18db which makes comparison annoying. I could create a baseline EQ that also has -8.4db but that doesn't solve the problem if I'm switching between different EQ presets with different negative pre-gain.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4,350 of 4,815
What's the best way to avoid adjusting volume between EQ presets? I'm using an EQ with -8.4db pre-gain to avoid clipping but whenever I switch between my EQ and stock I have to go and adjust the master volume overall from -12db to -18db which makes comparison annoying. I could create a baseline EQ that also has -8.4db but that doesn't solve the problem if I'm switching between different EQ presets with different negative pre-gain.
Set headroom to -6 or -12, depending on what negative pr-egain most of your presets have, and remove the pregain from the presets. Ofcourse this way you can use presets with pre-gain up to -12, ones requiring more would introduce some or lot of clipping depending on how big is the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back