The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #4,306 of 4,906
I received my Qudelix 5k yesterday. I am impressed with the app and the size. Not so much with sound. My BTR5 sounds better, less bright and fuller. I have introduced the PEQ by Oratory and some others I found (not the Auto EQ, which I have found poor) and the difference vs non-EQ is big. However the Qudelix sounds fuller using GEQ than PEQ, notoriously, less digital also, on PEQ the sound is very clear, very detailed.... but thin, very thin. I have even introduced the XBass filters that Oratory has to replicate the XBass of iFi, ans still thin. Maybe PEQ is more accurate and true to original source, but it is a lot less engaging, very thin. I have replicated the GEQ on PEQ, exactly same frequencies, same gains, same filters (all are PEAK) and same Q (all are 1.414) and the difference is null, they sound the same, so it is these PEQ that do not sound good to me, even the famous Oratory. I have replicated the GEQ I have on my BTR5 (10 bands) on the GEQ of the Qudelix (20 bands) and still the BTR5 sounds better, fuller, more soundstage

I have briefly tried the USB mode on both the Qudelix and BTR5, and here I see less differences, mainly because on the 5K i can apply EQ and on the BTR5 no. But I will use this amp/dac for bluetooth primarily, for USB I have a Hip Dac that I love

Also, to match volume, both on balanced output/high gain, supossedly both 4V and 240mW, I have to put the Qudelix at 80% of volume and BTR5 at 50%. Same source for both at 100% (PC)

So if I am going to use GEQ, I think I will return the Qudelix and keep the BTR5
I can’t comment about EQ because I don’t use it myself, so I’ll skip that.

A few questions based on what you didn’t write up.

Have you tried any of the filters in the DAC/AMP section? Those may change the output in other ways.

Also in DAC/AMP, have you switched between the different output power settings and profiles? I’ve personally found that there is a difference between normal and high output power.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,307 of 4,906
Yes I use Minimum Phase Slow Roll off in the Qudelix, and Slow Roll-off filter on the BTR5, whisk are the same

On DAC/AMP I have it on Balanced/high gain, in both Qudelix and BTR5. Performance on the 5K

The issue is that I gave away the BTR5 to my daughter thinking I would prefer the 5K. Now she loves the BTR5 and I cannot retrieve it LOL

My dilemma is now if I keep the 5K or I get another one, but there are only 3 contenders: BTR5 2021 (only adds MQA which I do not need for Bluetooth), the 5K and the iFi Go Blu, which has issues with Bluetooth, and no EQ options (just XBass and XSpace)

I keep testing both BTR5 and 5K… and I find the BTR5 more engaging, more natural, no matter which EQ I use in the 5K

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4,308 of 4,906
The issue is that I gave away the BTR5 to my daughter thinking I would prefer the 5K. Now she loves the BTR5 and I cannot retrieve it LOL
Haha, gotta be careful about that. My surplus goes to my daughter as well :beyersmile:

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #4,309 of 4,906
Yes I use Minimum Phase Slow Roll off in the Qudelix, and Slow Roll-off filter on the BTR5, whisk are the same

On DAC/AMP I have it on Balanced/high gain, in both Qudelix and BTR5. Performance on the 5K

My dilemma is now if I keep the 5K or I get another one, but there are only 3 contenders: BTR5 2021 (only adds MQA which I do not need for Bluetooth), the 5K and the iFi Go Blu, which has issues with Bluetooth, and no EQ options (just XBass and XSpace)

I keep testing both BTR5 and 5K… and I find the BTR5 more engaging, more natural, no matter which EQ I use in the 5K
You should also consider the Shanling UP4 2022, it sounds more full-bodied than the 5K. It's very nice to use with it's click wheel, but no PEQ.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #4,310 of 4,906
You should also consider the Shanling UP4 2022, it sounds more full-bodied than the 5K. It's very nice to use with it's click wheel, but no PEQ.
Does it have GEQ at least?

I have been trying EQ on the 5K. I got one that sounds fuller (putting a version of Oratory XBass with more dB in the range of 150-300hz). Sounds as good as BTR5 but it has an end noisier that I can’t get rid off. The end of BTR5 is sweet. Touching high frecquencies in the 5K does not help, there is always a metallic/dirty touch in the end

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,311 of 4,906
I see that the Shanling UP4 uses the same dac as my BTR5-2020, the Sabre ES9218P. However the BTR5 does 32/384 and the UP4 does only 24/96

More fun: the Shangling UP5 has the same dac as the Qudelix 5K, the sabre ES9219C. However the UP5 does 32/384 and the 5K only 24/96

Maybe the ES9218P is the one making sound fuller, so I might avoid the BTR5-2021, which uses ES9219C, same as Qudelix

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #4,312 of 4,906
My q5k paired with an iphone with the latest app freezes randomly (some times in 1 minute, sometimes after 15 minutes), making an audio stuck sound for 1 second and them powering off. Sometimes it also connects but does not get detected by the app (audio still works, but I cannot adjust any settings through the app).

I tried factory resetting the device and reinstalling the apps but the issue still persists. I believe it started happening when I first connected 2 devices to it, but I have since then removed my secondary device.

Using 2.5mm with iems, balanced mode, standard power

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #4,313 of 4,906
Well, some more hours comparing the 5K with the BTR5. After trying many EQ curves I have found one that I like a lot. More accurate and more impactful now the 5K than the BTR5. However, the BTR5 still shows more musicality, it is not as “dry” as the 5K is. It is difficult to describe… the music FLOWS more in the BTR5, is more sweet and continuos. The 5K has better FR, but it is not so engaging. My BTR5 is the old one, with ES9218P dac, while the 5K has the new ES9219C

Maybe I will try the UP4, which is cheap now. But they have also changed from 9218 to 9219 in the 2022 version

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,314 of 4,906
Well, some more hours comparing the 5K with the BTR5. After trying many EQ curves I have found one that I like a lot. More accurate and more impactful now the 5K than the BTR5. However, the BTR5 still shows more musicality, it is not as “dry” as the 5K is. It is difficult to describe… the music FLOWS more in the BTR5, is more sweet and continuos. The 5K has better FR, but it is not so engaging. My BTR5 is the old one, with ES9218P dac, while the 5K has the new ES9219C

Maybe I will try the UP4, which is cheap now. But they have also changed from 9218 to 9219 in the 2022 version
I have owned both the BTR5 and the Qudelix and they sound the same to me.
The Qudelix 5k has a totally flat frequency response just like most of the delta sigma dac/amps nowadays (The BTR5 has a flat FR too)
So I wouldn't call the 5K dry at all.

Im afraid you aren't comparing them with the right methodology and correctly matched volumes, cause Im almost certain than both should sound identical in most cases.

If you prefer some extra warmth or bass, you rather EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #4,315 of 4,906
I have owned both the BTR5 and the Qudelix and they sound the same to me.
The Qudelix 5k has a totally flat frequency response just like most of the delta sigma dac/amps nowadays (The BTR5 has a flat FR too)
So I wouldn't call the 5K dry at all.

Im afraid you aren't comparing them with the right methodology and correctly matched volumes, cause Im almost certain than both should sound identical on most cases.

If you prefer some extra warmth or bass, you rather EQ.
100.24dB volumen in both cases

Please note that my BTR5 has a different dac than the 5K

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,316 of 4,906
100.24dB volumen in both cases

Please note that my BTR5 has a different dac than the 5K
Even if they have a different DAC, Im confindent that both FR are perfectly flat. Of course you can feel subjective differences, but both should be transparent.

By the way, If you use these volume levels often, I recommend you to reduce it. You could harm your hearing permanently.

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #4,317 of 4,906
Even if they have a different DAC, Im confindent that both FR are perfectly flat. Of course you can feel subjective differences, but both should be transparent.

By the way, If you use these volume levels often, I recommend you to reduce it. You could harm your hearing permanently.
I know but less than 100dB is low for me. I listen at 105dB many times. Maybe are my headphones (Focal Elegia). At 90dB it sounds very low

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #4,318 of 4,906
I know but less than 100dB is low for me. I listen at 105dB many times. Maybe are my headphones (Focal Elegia). At 90dB it sounds very low
Fair enough. Don't think that's healthy for your ears, but to each their own...

Both the BTR5 and the Qudelix are great products. I think that the biggest difference is the software.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,319 of 4,906
😨

Users who are viewing this thread

Back