The Qudelix-5K thread
Sep 30, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #4,276 of 4,906
Go mine... on Android so far only UAPP can output 7.1 to T71. Disney hotstar doesn't output multichannel even if I selected dolby Atmos audio.
IMG-20230929-WA0048-01.jpeg

This is the list of compatible multi-channel apps published by Qudelix:

Windows
Netflix (5.1Ch)
Games (5.1 or 7.1Ch)

macOS
Apple Music (5.1Ch)
Apple TV (5.1Ch)
Netflix (5.1Ch) with Chrome Browser

iOS
Apple Music (5.1Ch)
Apple TV (5.1Ch)
Netflix (5.1Ch)
Disney+ (5.1Ch)

Android
Disney+ (5.1Ch)

I only ran tests with IOS and PC, and I can add:

Windows
—————
Disney+ (5.1Ch)
but only using the Microsoft store app, not from the browser (same thing for Netflix)

ROON
(with multi-channel music files)

iOS
——
ROON

Video streaming apps have only been able to work in multi-channel with the specific apps, not from the browser.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #4,277 of 4,906
This is the list of compatible multi-channel apps published by Qudelix:

Windows
Netflix (5.1Ch)
Games (5.1 or 7.1Ch)

macOS
Apple Music (5.1Ch)
Apple TV (5.1Ch)
Netflix (5.1Ch) with Chrome Browser

iOS
Apple Music (5.1Ch)
Apple TV (5.1Ch)
Netflix (5.1Ch)
Disney+ (5.1Ch)

Android
Disney+ (5.1Ch)

I only ran tests with IOS and PC, and I can add:

Windows
—————
Disney+ (5.1Ch)
but only using the Microsoft store app, not from the browser (same thing for Netflix)

ROON

iOS
——
ROON

Video streaming apps have only been able to work in multi-channel with the specific apps, not from the browser.
Disney should be able to output 5.1, that's the first thing I tried ... but not working on my Oppo X3Pro. Not sure what was wrong.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #4,278 of 4,906
I own a BTR5 and wanted some more powerful in terms of EQ. I was about to buy the Qudelix yesterday, then I saw the iFi Go Blu.. This last one is the opposite, almost null options to EQ (just x-bass and x-space) but I read the sound is awesome: organic, sweet, analog, big, like a valve amp. I have an iFi Hip dac that I use as desktop amp/dac and only sometimes as portable, since it is a bit big compared, but the sound is incredible with my Focal Elegia, without tweaking anything. A user owning both posted that he never managed the Qudelix to sound like the Go blu, after trying hundreds of configurations. Now I am debating between the most configurable dac and the least configurable one haha

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4,279 of 4,906
To all T71 users,

Would you say the T71 is powerful enough to work with the majority of headphones and earphones that cost $1000 or less?

I’m sure there are a lot of other DACs and amps out there, but I have the T71 at the top of the list because:

(a) it is USB powered, so that is one fewer power cable by my computer
(b) I can get it serviced more easily than other products since this is a Korean-made product and I live in Korea
(c) it is compact

Or should I still look at something else?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #4,280 of 4,906
To all T71 users,

Would you say the T71 is powerful enough to work with the majority of headphones and earphones that cost $1000 or less?

I’m sure there are a lot of other DACs and amps out there, but I have the T71 at the top of the list because:

(b) I can get it serviced more easily than other products since this is a Korean-made product and I live in Korea

Tried with r70x (470 Ohm) without problems.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #4,281 of 4,906
I came across this blog post made by the makers of the 5K about power requirements for high-impedance headphones.

https://post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=28984863&memberNo=49910556

Human translated by yours truly:

The Sennheiser HD600 is an old name among headphones, but it still has a strong following among audiophiles. It is also the most cited model for a high-impedence, low sensitivity pair of headphones.

*SENNHEISER HD600*
*- 300-ohm impedance *
*- 97dBSPL/mW sensitivity*

The following graph shows the required voltage level to achieve a given SPL (sound pressure level). For comparison's sake, the HD600 is compared with the SE846 IEM, a low-impedance, high sensitivity IEM.

https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2697343/2000_5db51be13ba1f.png

As you can see from the above graph, an SPL of approximately 102dB can be achieved with the output of a 1V RMS amp. (based on playing a full scale sine wave)

*1V*_*RMS* *Output*
Power = V^2 / R = 1^2 / 300 = *3.33 mWatt *
Required current = *3.33 mA*
Sound Pressure Level --> *102.2 dB SPL*

*2V*_*RMS* *Output*
Power = V^2 / R = 2^2 / 300 = *13.33 mWatt *
Required current = *6.66 mA*
Sound Pressure Level --> *108.2 dB SPL*

SPL level (source: Shure) (graph is missing)

As seen above, 108dB is a very high SPL.

However, since most audio sources are not full scale sine waves, and have some degree of headroom, the actually possible SPL is about 102dB, a difference of 6dB. Under most circumstances, the HD600 requires an RMS of at least 2V to attain a certain degree of loudness.

The HD600 has an extremely high impedence. Hence, it does not require a lot of current. The following graph indicates the amount of current needed. Like above, the HD600 is compared with the SE846, a low-impedance, high sensitivity IEM (green).

https://cdn-cms.f-static.net/uploads/2697343/2000_5db51c289d426.png

As shown above, there isn't a big difference in required current flow between the HD600 and the SE846.

Many people understand that the HD600 requires a high-output desktop amplifier, but this is incorrect.
The HD600 requires a small 10mWatt of power to run. It requires a minimum of 2V RMS, but in comparison, it requires little current.

Since high-impedance headphones like the HD600 do not require a lot of horsepower to run, it is easy to pair with an amp if the amp can provide at least 2V RMS. Furthermore, high-impedance headphones are barely affected by an amp's output imedance and cable impedance, which proves to be an advantage.

Advantages of high-impedance headphones
- Its actual required amp output is around 10mWatt
- It does not require a lot of current
- As it can be easily run by an amp, the amp can operate within optimal parameters
- Battery life can be maintained for portable amps
- It is barely affected by amp output impedance
- It is barely affected by cable impedance

Disadvantages of high-impedance headphones
- At least 2V RMS is needed in order to achieve a level of volume

High-impedance headphones like the HD600 can be run to some degree on portable amplifiers. Of course, absolutely speaking, high-performance amplifiers should be used in order to maximize sound quality and performance. However, it is wrong to make a blanket statement that the HD600 must be paired with a desktop amplifier because of low power, which can be confirmed with simple calculations as shown above.

We strongly suggest that users of high-impedance headphones like the HD600 use balanced cables. As mentioned above, high-impedance headphones are barely affected by cables, so there is no need to buy expensive cables. Cheap balanced cables can bring a clear improvement to performance.

The HD600 has maintained its popularity because of these aforementioned reasons. Headphones aren't all-time bestsellers solely because it has objectively superior specifications. Headphones must work well regardless of what amplifier the user pairs it with. The HD600 can be used to some degree even with a 1V RMS output from a phone if SPL needs are not high.

Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #4,282 of 4,906
To all T71 users,

(c) it is compact

I don't know if it's of interest to you, but it doesn't support DSD or DoP.

The signal must be converted to PCM before being sent to the DAC.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4,283 of 4,906
I own a BTR5 and wanted some more powerful in terms of EQ. I was about to buy the Qudelix yesterday, then I saw the iFi Go Blu.. This last one is the opposite, almost null options to EQ (just x-bass and x-space) but I read the sound is awesome: organic, sweet, analog, big, like a valve amp. I have an iFi Hip dac that I use as desktop amp/dac and only sometimes as portable, since it is a bit big compared, but the sound is incredible with my Focal Elegia, without tweaking anything. A user owning both posted that he never managed the Qudelix to sound like the Go blu, after trying hundreds of configurations. Now I am debating between the most configurable dac and the least configurable one haha

The GO-BLU has almost no configurability, and a barely sufficient BT range (especially when compared to 5K),
but I can confirm that it sounds very good, and has great output power.
It has a convenient volume adjustment wheel.
On the other hand, it has hiss on sensitive IEMs.

They are both excellent machines, certainly the 5K is far more sophisticated.
But if you're looking for 'analog' sound and aren't interested in experimenting with EQ and other features, the BLU is probably your machine.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4,284 of 4,906
I have spent one hour switching from BTR5 to iFi Hip Dac (Tidal on iPhone and on iPad so I just need to change the headphones jack to one and other). I like the iFi sound more, it is bigger, warmer (booming sometimes with x-bass enabled), more organic, more analog. I do not know which one to buy, the Go Blu or the Qudelix 5K. I have already given away the BTR5 to my teenager daughter and she is quite happy to go wireless with her senns HD598. I could go with the Qudelix for powerful EQ and use hip dac when I want iFi sound, having both options, or I just could buy the Go and enjoy iFi sound always

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #4,285 of 4,906
Is there a formula or calculator I can use to figure out a headphone's or IEM's sensitivity in dBSPL/mW from the impedance and sensitivity in dB/V?

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #4,287 of 4,906
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #4,288 of 4,906
I have spent one hour switching from BTR5 to iFi Hip Dac (Tidal on iPhone and on iPad so I just need to change the headphones jack to one and other). I like the iFi sound more, it is bigger, warmer (booming sometimes with x-bass enabled), more organic, more analog. I do not know which one to buy, the Go Blu or the Qudelix 5K. I have already given away the BTR5 to my teenager daughter and she is quite happy to go wireless with her senns HD598. I could go with the Qudelix for powerful EQ and use hip dac when I want iFi sound, having both options, or I just could buy the Go and enjoy iFi sound always
Finally I bought the 5K and will join this club. The Go Blu is very appealing but I prioritized the EQ powerhouse. I wish I can tune the 5K to get the organic, warm and sweet sound of the iFi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back