The Qudelix-5K thread
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #4,246 of 4,906
Thanks for sharing.

I’ve been taking part in a lot of Zoom meetings lately but I’m raising the volume on my end often in order to hear certain participants better, and I don’t like that I do not have absolute values to refer to in order to make sure I’m still within safe boundaries.

I suppose seeing the voltage is still better than nothing.

They have added the SPL info in Chrome app:

IMG_6078.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #4,247 of 4,906
I mean the following setting:

IMG_6077.jpeg
Oh, that's what I meant with the lock stuff that I said, but I got it wrong. I'll switch to auto. Thanks again for your help!
This DAC/AMP really makes a difference when watching/playing multichannel audio content and it gots load of potential to improve even more via software. I just need that they allow you to use the app via USB with android.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,248 of 4,906
Oh, that's what I meant with the lock stuff that I said, but I got it wrong. I'll switch to auto. Thanks again for your help!
This DAC/AMP really makes a difference when watching/playing multichannel audio content and it gots load of potential to improve even more via software. I just need that they allow you to use the app via USB with android.

Cheers!

Yes, I find AUTO to be the best setting, because it manages all the various audio modes automatically.

The only downside is that the sampling rate is 'limited' to 96kHz, rather than 384. But for me it's not a big loss in practice.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #4,249 of 4,906
Yes, I find AUTO to be the best setting, because it manages all the various audio modes automatically.

The only downside is that the sampling rate is 'limited' to 96kHz, rather than 384. But for me it's not a big loss in practice.
That's not a big deal yeah. 96khz is more than fine for multimedia.
Can always switch to the other option if Im going to play any files above 96khz on Qobuzz, but there aren't too many and it's not like you are gonna notice the difference anyways :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #4,250 of 4,906
How accurate is the sound pressure level calculation? Does anyone know? I can't tell whether it's my ears being sensitive, me inputting the wrong information, or the Qudelix-5K being wrong, but when the app says that I am listening at 70dB it sounds quite loud to me. I hear most people say that 70-80dB is where music sounds good to them.

When listening with my AKG K371, I have the following numbers in the receiver profile:
IMPEDANCE 32,0 [ohm]
SENSITIVITY 99,0 [dBSPL/mW]

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #4,251 of 4,906
How accurate is the sound pressure level calculation? Does anyone know? I can't tell whether it's my ears being sensitive, me inputting the wrong information, or the Qudelix-5K being wrong, but when the app says that I am listening at 70dB it sounds quite loud to me. I hear most people say that 70-80dB is where music sounds good to them.

When listening with my AKG K371, I have the following numbers in the receiver profile:
IMPEDANCE 32,0 [ohm]
The pressure level isn't very accurate cause it depends pretty much on the recording. Still helpful to get an approximate, tho.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #4,252 of 4,906

IMPEDANCE 32,0 [ohm]
Calculating the SPL is straight up math. The factors that can affect your perception of how loud the music feels can be any of the following:
  • Your hearing is more sensitive than average
  • Like @Tano said, music is not consistently loud. A song is always going to have some variance in loudness, even though it might be minute
  • The manufacturer shared the wrong figures
When I use AirPods Pro with my iPhone, I keep the volume at roughly 60-65dB as per the phone’s internal sound meter. But when I used wired, I just go by “feel.” Chances are you might be more used to listening below 70.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #4,253 of 4,906

Just switched to auto and it works good when watching multimedia and playing music. But it crashes the T71 when playing games. For the game it is on 7.1 but when you pause and go to the menus it switches to 2.0, start to make noises and it crashes. Seems they still need to work a bit on the auto setting.

Attachments

• IMG20230929002654.jpg
    IMG20230929002654.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #4,254 of 4,906
So the T71 is a great purchase even if you only intend to use it with ordinary headphones?

Is it really competitive with other USB amps at the same price range?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,255 of 4,906
The pressure level isn't very accurate cause it depends pretty much on the recording. Still helpful to get an approximate, tho.

• Like @Tano said, music is not consistently loud. A song is always going to have some variance in loudness, even though it might be minute

If you scroll down on the "INPUT" screen, there's a "SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL [dB]" right at the bottom, which seems to show the actual sound pressure level, taking into account the level of the audio which is being played.:) It is probably not very good at showing transient levels though, because it updates only about once a second.

But I am mainly just worried about listening too loudly. If I were to go off of only the "VOLUME" tab's sound pressure level calculation, my approximation of my listening volume would actually be slightly higher than what it really is, as I believe that this tab shows the maximum peak volume, which the audio is (hopefully) not playing at.

• The manufacturer shared the wrong figures

I hope not...:triportsad:

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4,256 of 4,906
So the T71 is a great purchase even if you only intend to use it with ordinary headphones?

Is it really competitive with other USB amps at the same price range?
In my opinion, the T71 is as good as every other portable DAC/AMPs that I've tried (Mojo, Cayin RU6, XD05 etc...) and I dare to say that it offers desktop level performance.

I won't say it's better for listening to music, cause most of these devices are transparent and got plenty of power. But what makes the difference with Qudelix products are the features and the APP. Plus the T71 has the extra that it can play multichannel audio and downmix it to your headphones. For me, this makes a difference when playing games or watching multimedia.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #4,257 of 4,906
In my opinion, the T71 is as good as every other portable DAC/AMPs that I've tried (Mojo, Cayin RU6, XD05 etc...) and I dare to say that it offeres desktop level performance.

I won't say it's better for listening to music, cause most of these devices are transparent and got plenty of power. But what makes the difference with Qudelix products are the features and the APP. Plus the T71 has the extra that it can play multichannel audio and downmix it to your headphones. For me, this makes a difference when playing games or watching multimedia.
Sounds interesting!

Do you feel that the lack of any type of scroll wheel makes it less satisfying to use?

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #4,258 of 4,906
Sounds interesting!

Do you feel that the lack of any type of scroll wheel makes it less satisfying to use?
Not for me, cause Im used to the Qudelix 5k, but I understand that some people can feel that. I also prefer volume wheels, but gotta consider that all the 4 buttons are pretty functional. Originally, that T71 prototype had a wheel, but they removed it. It would be great to get a revision with the wheel, but I doubt It.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #4,259 of 4,906
I received my T71 today, I am thrilled with the increase in power over the 5K (so much so that I plan to use it as a replacement for my Topping DX7 Pro+ and keep the 5K for portable use) but I have been even more surprised by the multichannel capabilities, it is definitely not gimmicky, I have tested it with Forza Horizon 5 on PC and the sonic result was spectacular to me.

Beyond that, I would have also liked to have a volume wheel, but they have said that the decision to remove it has been to implement the 4.4 output, so one thing for the other.

I'm really excited to see new features and fixes in the future, the people behind Qudelix are on another level and never cease to amaze, they are the antithesis of snake-oil in the audio world.

Some quick pictures I uploaded to the official Qudelix forum, as I don't think anyone has posted an unboxing so far (plus, size comparison with the 5K):

IMG_8289.jpeg

IMG_8290.jpeg

IMG_8291.jpeg

IMG_8292.jpeg

IMG_8297.jpeg

IMG_8293.jpeg

IMG_8294.jpeg

IMG_8295.jpeg

IMG_8296.jpeg

IMG_8303.jpeg

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #4,260 of 4,906
Just switched to auto and it works good when watching multimedia and playing music. But it crashes the T71 when playing games. For the game it is on 7.1 but when you pause and go to the menus it switches to 2.0, start to make noises and it crashes. Seems they still need to work a bit on the auto setting.

You certainly ran into a bug.
If you have the latest FW and the defect is repeatable,
you could open a ticket with QUDELIX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back