The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #4,111 of 4,905
I picked up a TP-Link AC1200 (Archer T5E) for use around the house. I wanted the big antennas, as the K5 has dropouts when I walk to the basement connected to the tiny USB dongle I had been using. I've really been enjoying the freedom of the wireless DAC/amp.

Oddly, the AC1200 has far worse coverage than the tiny dongle which is barely larger than a USB plug. The AC1200 cuts out on the second floor, which the little dongle does not. Very strange.

I'm going to try some 10dBi antennas on the AC1200 to see if that helps. I believe it came with 5dBi antennas, although that must surely be more gain than the tiny micro-dongle has.
I don't know man the Qudelix is pretty amazing for Bluetooth range if you're walking around the house.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #4,112 of 4,905
Oddly, the AC1200 has far worse coverage than the tiny dongle which is barely larger than a USB plug. The AC1200 cuts out on the second floor, which the little dongle does not. Very strange.
Bluetooth works at 2.4GHz and AC Wifi at 5GHz. The higher the frequency the more trouble the signal has going through obstacles.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #4,113 of 4,905
Are there any plans to release updated version of Q5K? Any rumors on this?
Q5K has been there on market for 2 years already.
Thinking if I purchase 5K now, or wait for a while for new product from Qudelix (I don't want T71)

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #4,115 of 4,905
Are there any plans to release updated version of Q5K? Any rumors on this?
Q5K has been there on market for 2 years already.
Thinking if I purchase 5K now, or wait for a while for new product from Qudelix (I don't want T71)
There is nothing wrong with the 5K 2 years later though. My only complaint is that it can sound a bit thin with certain headphones and IEMs, but that’s kind of just one of the ESS chips signature type of sound.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #4,116 of 4,905
Did anyone who preordered T71 receive shipping notification from DHL HK? I assume its from Qudelix…

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,118 of 4,905
I've been continuing to feel that the 5K is a little too lean sounding in the bass. Does anyone else feel the same way? I've always felt this way when using it with my Focal Elear with Clear pads, and never really enjoyed this combination. Then I started to feel this same way with the Aful Performer 8's. Now with my ER4SR as well.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,119 of 4,905
I've been continuing to feel that the 5K is a little too lean sounding in the bass. Does anyone else feel the same way? I've always felt this way when using it with my Focal Elear with Clear pads, and never really enjoyed this combination. Then I started to feel this same way with the Aful Performer 8's. Now with my ER4SR as well.
Yup, that's why I always grabbed my 2019 BTR5 and eventually gave the Qudelix away. It's a great unit overall but the sound is too lean and even the extraordinary EQ and other audio tweaks can't fix it very well.

One thing I'll say is that somewhat anemic quality makes it more transparent and the sound is uncolored so it's great for audiobooks, and I liked using it to fall asleep with ambient music sometimes since the presentation is so polite and unobtrusive.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #4,120 of 4,905
Yup, that's why I always grabbed my 2019 BTR5 and eventually gave the Qudelix away. It's a great unit overall but the sound is too lean and even the extraordinary EQ and other audio tweaks can't fix it very well.

One thing I'll say is that somewhat anemic quality makes it more transparent and the sound is uncolored so it's great for audiobooks, and I liked using it to fall asleep with ambient music sometimes since the presentation is so polite and unobtrusive.

Yea. I’m not saying it’s a terrible device by any means. It’s been my most used DAC/amp for over a year and a half. It’s still a wonderful device. I’ve just lately come to realize that all my stuff sounds better to me with just the headphone jack of my M1 MacBook Air.

I also feel it’s not something EQ can fix, and I’m not even sure it’s simply a frequency response thing since it measures flat. 99% of amps measure flat or close enough that you shouldn’t hear a difference, but still lots of people notice differences.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #4,121 of 4,905
I also feel it’s not something EQ can fix, and I’m not even sure it’s simply a frequency response thing since it measures flat. 99% of amps measure flat or close enough that you shouldn’t hear a difference, but still lots of people notice differences.
I think it's just the output power, it can't properly drive even reasonably sensitive headphones like my FH7 properly. And no budget ultraportable is expected to put much meat on the bones in the first place, but I'd describe it as the kind of limitation you just can't live with after hearing even slightly better equipment. Not to mention there are a lot more alternatives now than there were when it first came out.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #4,122 of 4,905
I think it's just the output power, it can't properly drive even reasonably sensitive headphones like my FH7 properly. And no budget ultraportable is expected to put much meat on the bones in the first place, but I'd describe it as the kind of limitation you just can't live with after hearing even slightly better equipment. Not to mention there are a lot more alternatives now than there were when it first came out.
I don’t think it’s power related. I listen to my Aful Performer 8 at around -45 to -52 on the volume control. My Etymotic ER4SR only need about -35 to -40 to get to my desired volume. So neither need tons of power. I’m pretty sure my M1 MacBook Air is only a 1v maximum output as well, so it doesn’t have more power than the 5K.

I think it’s the ESS DAC chip that’s being used or the way it is implemented. I’ve had plenty of other ESS gear though, so idk.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #4,123 of 4,905
I don’t think it’s power related. I listen to my Aful Performer 8 at around -45 to -52 on the volume control. My Etymotic ER4SR only need about -35 to -40 to get to my desired volume. So neither need tons of power. I’m pretty sure my M1 MacBook Air is only a 1v maximum output as well, so it doesn’t have more power than the 5K.

I think it’s the ESS DAC chip that’s being used or the way it is implemented. I’ve had plenty of other ESS gear though, so idk.
Concur with this. ESS has always been very clinical and I don't think its a power issue (no problem driving M1570C planar magnetics or any of my HD 6x0 to expectations).

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #4,124 of 4,905
Concur with this. ESS has always been very clinical and I don't think its a power issue (no problem driving M1570C planar magnetics or any of my HD 6x0 to expectations).
I have and have had other ESS stuff, and I don't remember them all sounding quite like this. I'll have to listen to my Topping NX4DSD a little closer next time I use it. I wonder what sub $150 dongle would sound close to how my M1 MacBook Air sounds so I can maybe get something closer with my iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back