The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #4,098 of 4,807
Hi guys! Very nice thread so far, just read through about 1/4 of it. How would y’all compare the 5K with an iPhone to something like a Hiby R6 Gen3? Would be using Apple Music in lossless mode for both, along with very sensitive IEMs. Am aware that the 5K only does 96khz, but I don’t think that will matter to my ears.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #4,099 of 4,807
Hi guys! Very nice thread so far, just read through about 1/4 of it. How would y’all compare the 5K with an iPhone to something like a Hiby R6 Gen3? Would be using Apple Music in lossless mode for both, along with very sensitive IEMs. Am aware that the 5K only does 96khz, but I don’t think that will matter to my ears.
For using the 5K wired, you may have an easier time getting set up with an android device like the R6.

For iOS, you need either the Apple-made Camera Connection Kit, or a very specific type of USB-c - lightning cable such as the Fiio LT-LT1; run of the mill ones sold at Apple or general retailers won’t work. In contrast, with Android, you should be able to use the included USB C cable or most other cables that support data transmissions.

For wireless play, your player supports more codecs than Apple’s standard SBC and AAC, so at least on paper, you get more versatility with an Android. But I can’t say how well that translates to real world usage, like whether your player and the 5K can sustain high-bitrate LDAC streams for hours or what Apple does regarding lossless with Android, and so on.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #4,100 of 4,807
I am new to 5K with an iPhone but it works really great. Especially if you’re not driving crazy loads. I don’t have a mid-range DAP anymore, and the one I had (Cayin N3Pro) was so special that nothing really compares. But I once compared the 5K to an expensive DAP brick and it rivalled it. I use an easy-to-source Cayin Lightning-to-USBC cable (CS-L2C), once you have that you’re set. You can even disable charging so it preserves the phone’s battery. All in all I’d recommend.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,101 of 4,807
For iOS, you need either the Apple-made Camera Connection Kit, or a very specific type of USB-c - lightning cable such as the Fiio LT-LT1; run of the mill ones sold at Apple or general retailers won’t work. In contrast, with Android, you should be able to use the included USB C cable or most other cables that support data transmissions.

Yes, I figured just any old USB-C to Lightning cable wouldn't work. I was looking at the Topping G5 at one point, and saw that Apos Audio sold a bundle with the Fiio cable included, so I suspected it might be necessary!

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,102 of 4,807
For using the 5K wired, you may have an easier time getting set up with an android device like the R6.

For wireless play, your player supports more codecs than Apple’s standard SBC and AAC, so at least on paper, you get more versatility with an Android. But I can’t say how well that translates to real world usage, like whether your player and the 5K can sustain high-bitrate LDAC streams for hours or what Apple does regarding lossless with Android, and so on.
I use the Cayin lightning to usbc cable with mine.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #4,104 of 4,807
The glue in the casing on the Cayin cable kept on falling off and eventually the lightning side stopped working. The flimsy looking cable from Xduoo actually was the most durable cable that I've used.
I’ve had the same Cayin cable for over a year and a half and it still looks and performs like brand new.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #4,106 of 4,807
Hello, I just signed up here! I was trying to google my concern but I could not find anything about it.

For people who owned lg v50/v60 how does it compare to Qudelix 5k? I'm planning to pair it with Moondrop Variations which is my first wired IEM coming from Blon 03 and other chifi years ago. I currently have Samsung Galaxy Buds pro and I'm happy with the upgrade.

I currently use these sources:

LGV50
Macbook Pro m1 2020
Apple Music (for my library)

After some testing both with Apple Music, I find the Macbook Pro superior when it comes to soundstage and separation. It also sounds more natural and cleaner overall. LG v50 for me sounded a bit narrow and "too digital", probably a bit heavier/punchy sound. It was the same experience even when changing the sound settings from the phone but I could be wrong with my untrained ears lol.

I used to praise LG phones for their sound quality (I had v30 + Blon 03) before. But after hearing macbook pro vs LGV50, there was a noticable difference as I mentioned above. I know Qudelix has a good EQ but I want to know if it has a wider soundstage than LG phones and if it's an upgrade from them when considering sonic performance. It would be very much helpful if someone can also compare the Dac from Macbook Air or Pro m1(2020) with Q5k. I've seen some users here using Q5k for Macbooks so I'm still hoping that it's superior.

My ears could be wrong so I'll compare them later again. But your insight would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #4,107 of 4,807
Hello, I just signed up here! I was trying to google my concern but I could not find anything about it.

For people who owned lg v50/v60 how does it compare to Qudelix 5k? I'm planning to pair it with Moondrop Variations which is my first wired IEM coming from Blon 03 years ago and Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro.

I currently use these sources:

LGV50
Macbook Pro m1 2020
Apple Music (for my library)

After some testing, I find the Macbook Pro superior when it comes to soundstage and separation. It also sounds more natural and cleaner overall. LG v50 for me sounded a bit narrow and "too digital". It was the same experience even when changing the sound settings from the phone.

I'm thinking of skipping Qudelix 5k if it sounds very similar to LGv50 or v60 I know Qudelix has a good EQ but I want to know if it has a wide soundstage and clean presentation out of the box. It would be very much helpful if someone can also compare the Dac from Macbook Air or Pro m1(2020) with Q5k. I've seen some users here using Q5k for Macbooks so I'm still hoping that it's superior.

TIA!
I never had the V50 or 60, but the LG quad DAC phones all have ESS chips and so does the 5K. I can’t compare them directly since I’ve never had the V50 or 60 though. I will say that for headphones and IEM’s that don’t need any EQ I feel that my M1 MacBook Air headphone jack sounds better than the 5K. Where the 5K definitely sounds better is on headphones and IEMs that benefit from some EQ. I don’t dislike the 5K at all, but I think my MacBook jack just sounds better with certain headphones and IEM’s.

I had the V10 the day it was released, but that was a while ago.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #4,109 of 4,807
This isn't a comment on SQ of my phone jack versus the 5K but I do not prefer to use the 5K when listening on IEMs, most of the time. The 5K is ideal when I'm riding my bike because of the microphone sound being mixed in. It allows me to wear IEMs when I otherwise could not for safety reasons. Most of the time, I'd rather just have my phone and SoundMagic E11 IEMs. Clean sounding. Simple.

The 5K definitely helps with it's PEQ, though. It's great with larger headphones that are far more comfortable to wear around the house.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4,110 of 4,807
I picked up a TP-Link AC1200 (Archer T5E) for use around the house. I wanted the big antennas, as the K5 has dropouts when I walk to the basement connected to the tiny USB dongle I had been using. I've really been enjoying the freedom of the wireless DAC/amp.

Oddly, the AC1200 has far worse coverage than the tiny dongle which is barely larger than a USB plug. The AC1200 cuts out on the second floor, which the little dongle does not. Very strange.

I'm going to try some 10dBi antennas on the AC1200 to see if that helps. I believe it came with 5dBi antennas, although that must surely be more gain than the tiny micro-dongle has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back