The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #4,128 of 4,906
My Qudelix 5K is gone. All my other gear is still in place after moving to a new apartment. One day I will have it back.
Sorry to read that! The 5K will be yours again I’m sure…

I too found the 5K too lean and clinical at first, and still find it so with a lot of gear. Power is not the issue though. My V30 felt a bit fuller though it had less power. And I can attest to the N3Pro’s tube output sounding superbly full in spite of low driving power. Something specific just seems to happen with certain transducers on the 5K. I always point to Qudelix’ own QX-Over, only usable on the 5K, a double-DD affair with a huge, rumbling bass foundation and a very satisfying sense of fullness.

The 5K would probably have sounded better with a more developed amp section though.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #4,129 of 4,906
Please check that you have set the Quedelix output power to NORMAL. The Output Power setting is found under DAC/AMP->MODE. Normal output power removes the suppressed sound and lifts the veil.
Yes, it’s always been set to normal

Aug 20, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #4,130 of 4,906
I have and have had other ESS stuff, and I don't remember them all sounding quite like this. I'll have to listen to my Topping NX4DSD a little closer next time I use it. I wonder what sub $150 dongle would sound close to how my M1 MacBook Air sounds so I can maybe get something closer with my iPhone.
Output probably isn't the right word, I just feel like other units handle power better. It can get my headphones to play very loudly, but it can't infuse sufficient weight and power into them, it doesn't have authority.

If you can find a 2019 BTR5 those are great, I just bought a new one even though I'm picking up a RU7 and G5. You lose most of the Qudelix bells and whistles since the FiiO software isn't in the same league as the Qudelix software, but it sounds better.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #4,131 of 4,906
Output probably isn't the right word, I just feel like other units handle power better. It can get my headphones to play very loudly, but it can't infuse sufficient weight and power into them, it doesn't have authority.

If you can find a 2019 BTR5 those are great, I just bought a new one even though I'm picking up a RU7 and G5, the FiiO is really good. You lose most of the Qudelix bells and whistles since the FiiO software isn't in the same league as the Qudelix software, but it sounds better.
Lacking weight and authority sounds about right.

As for other options I’m considering something more like the FiiO KA5. RU7 would be nice, but I’ve heard that they suck up a lot of battery from whatever they are plugged into so idk about that. I’m not considering the BTR5 or 7 since I don’t really need Bluetooth or EQ really.

For right now I’m going to just keep using the MacBook headphone jack. It powers everything I have with ease and sounds great in my opinion. Maybe I’ll also play with my Topping NX4DSD a little more as well.

Aug 20, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #4,132 of 4,906
Lacking weight and authority sounds about right.

As for other options I’m considering something more like the FiiO KA5. RU7 would be nice, but I’ve heard that they suck up a lot of battery from whatever they are plugged into so idk about that. I’m not considering the BTR5 or 7 since I don’t really need Bluetooth or EQ really.

For right now I’m going to just keep using the MacBook headphone jack. It powers everything I have with ease and sounds great in my opinion. Maybe I’ll also play with my Topping NX4DSD a little more as well.
You can use the BTR5 and 7 wired as well (FiiO EQ is garbage), but you might want to save and spend a little more on a dongle like the RU7 or W4. You'll get low-mid level DAP quality sound from a tiny unit and it sounds like you're willing to accept the trade offs.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,133 of 4,906
You can use the BTR5 and 7 wired as well, but you might want to save and spend a little more on a dongle like the RU7 or W4. You'll get low-mid level DAP quality sound from a tiny unit and it sounds like you're willing to accept the trade offs.
The RU7 from what I’ve read would destroy the battery on an iPhone though. I heard it consumes tons of power. What’s the W4?

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #4,135 of 4,906
The RU7 from what I’ve read would destroy the battery on an iPhone though. I heard it consumes tons of power. What’s the W4?
If you're using an iPhone, can I ask why you're not interested in using Bluetooth? I'm just wondering since the BT devices sound great and it's much easier on the move than wired.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,136 of 4,906
If you're using an iPhone, can I ask why you're not interested in using Bluetooth? I'm just wondering since the BT devices sound great and it's much easier on the move than wired.
I use both. I have the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3’s and the AirPods Pro gen 2’s. Sometimes I like to sit on the couch and use wired IEMs just with a phone as the source. IEMs in my ears and the phone just sitting on my lap or armrest. I don’t have an actual desk setup, so all my home listening gets done on the couch.

My Qudelix 5K if I decide to totally stop using it as a wired DAC/amp can still get used Velcrod to my K371.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #4,137 of 4,906
I use both. I have the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 3’s and the AirPods Pro gen 2’s. Sometimes I like to sit on the couch and use wired IEMs just with a phone as the source. IEMs in my ears and the phone just sitting on my lap or armrest. I don’t have an actual desk setup, so all my home listening gets done on the couch.
But you don't connect the Qudelix BT to your phone and use your wired headphones through it?

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4,138 of 4,906
But you don't connect the Qudelix BT to your phone and use your wired headphones through it?
I use it wired to an iPhone 13 as a dongle basically.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,140 of 4,906
Oh, the sound might have more authority if you use BT instead, try that once.
I’ve used it both ways. I just think it’s time I retire it from the way that I was using it. I think I’ll stick it back on my K371 to use that as a wireless headphone. It does good enough in that situation.

IMG_1002.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back