The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,081 of 4,807
Alright, I'm joining the party. I've just placed and order for the 5K
I still love mine and use it a ton.
IMG_0685.jpeg
This is how I usually use mine. Wired to an iPhone and attached with a MagSafe sticker. Using Apple Music lossless the 5K supports up to 24/96 hi res used in this way.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #4,082 of 4,807
Alright, I'm joining the party. I've just placed and order for the 5K
Welcome to the party, it is one of the best parties I have ever attended.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,083 of 4,807
New Qudelix product is now available for pre-order: https://www.qudelix.com/products/qudelix-t71-usb-dac

AFAIK Qudelix was struggling with profit margins and making such a niche product seems strange. I'm not sure who asked for this. Most people wanted a desktop amp/dac with a volume knob, not a gaming surround sound unit that works with a special unreleased IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,084 of 4,807
New Qudelix product is now available for pre-order: https://www.qudelix.com/products/qudelix-t71-usb-dac

AFAIK Qudelix was struggling with profit margins and making such a niche product seems strange. I'm not sure who asked for this. Most people wanted a desktop amp/dac with a volume knob, not a gaming surround sound unit that works with a special unreleased IEM.
The looks give me Chord Electronics vibes

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #4,085 of 4,807

I agree with you. I am not sure how many people are going to buy and enjoy this product. I wish Qudelix would make a UTWS5 or a GO Pod.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,086 of 4,807
I agree with you. I am not sure how many people are going to buy and enjoy this product. I wish Qudelix would make a UTWS5 or a GO Pod.

Here I am 😂
I spent 239USD (taking advantage of the preorder discount and the discount as a 5K owner) for a unique product of its kind, with DSP and PEQ, 8 analog output channels and surround sound management.

Unfortunately they sacrificed the useful volume control knob in favor of the 4.4 output that users (audiophiles, I guess) have been clamoring for.

But they added an internal battery complete with combined USB/BAT power management; this battery should alleviate the power problems that IOS users sometimes experience when powering external 'high power' devices.

Unfortunately for the special 4-channel IEMs we will have to wait (hopefully) until the end of the year.

Through them it should be possible to enjoy a 'surround' experience with movies (and Dolby ATMOS music?), although I have no idea how immersive this experience can be through IEMs.

However the fact that they take time to get them out on the market would make me hope for a job at best.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,087 of 4,807

I wonder where the surround IEM that goes with it is?

Also - since when did they start selling their own TPU case?

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #4,088 of 4,807
Here I am 😂
I spent 239USD (taking advantage of the preorder discount and the discount as a 5K owner) for a unique product of its kind, with DSP and PEQ, 8 analog output channels and surround sound management.

Unfortunately they sacrificed the useful volume control knob in favor of the 4.4 output that users (audiophiles, I guess) have been clamoring for.

But they added an internal battery complete with combined USB/BAT power management; this battery should alleviate the power problems that IOS users sometimes experience when powering external 'high power' devices.

Unfortunately for the special 4-channel IEMs we will have to wait (hopefully) until the end of the year.

Through them it should be possible to enjoy a 'surround' experience with movies (and Dolby ATMOS music?), although I have no idea how immersive this experience can be through IEMs.

However the fact that they take time to get them out on the market would make me hope for a job at best.
Happy for you, hope you will receive it and fully enjoy it, soon :)

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #4,089 of 4,807
I wonder where the surround IEM that goes with it is?

Also - since when did they start selling their own TPU case?
Official TPU case looks new and never announced anywhere. $20 shipping for a $2 TPU case. :dizzy_face: The two piece design doesn't seem robust and clear TPU both looks cheap and discolors quickly. As an alternative, I can heartily recommend the custom case I commissioned from @digitalazer

Attachments

• PXL_20221122_034828055.jpg
    PXL_20221122_034828055.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #4,090 of 4,807
Official TPU case looks new and never announced anywhere. $20 shipping for a $2 TPU case. :dizzy_face: The two piece design doesn't seem robust and clear TPU both looks cheap and discolors quickly. As an alternative, I can heartily recommend the custom case I commissioned from @digitalazer
I have a Mitre case that I also really like. The Quidelex one doesn't look terribly robust, but it's a nice OEM option.

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #4,091 of 4,807
This is an opinion piece so no need to read and feel free rip me to shreds. There are people who diametrically oppose my view and I respect that position.

IMO, an amp/DAC is barely needed. It makes more sense to get a phone with decent sound. I've had phones that sounded plenty good enough for me with sufficient power for IEMs or HD 58X (IE: Blackberry Z10, Nexus 6s, couple of LG models...). Less equipment is better than more.

Even LDAC introduces loss, although only at bit rates beyond redbook audio. The point being, an external DAC/amp isn't purely an SQ gain.

There are two reasons I love the Q5K: mobility and PEQ

I've enjoyed a decent headphone experience while sitting in my office for years. The Q5K sounds about the same as my Topping stack (P50, D50s, A50s), however, being able to get up and walk to the kitchen for a drink or the bathroom for a whiz is a wonderful improvement. I don't understand why it's good to continue rocking out without interruption but it is. I can listen to an entire album, without interruption, while I am working, peeing, or fetching a snack. This is a perfect world.

I do worry that one day I will be listening on my wired stack and walk away without thinking about it, damaging a headphone cable. This hasn't happened yet, likely due to the fact that I haven't turned on the Topping stack in months.

To this end, the non-impressive plastic case of the Q5K must surely be a better bluetooth solution than the any of the beautifuly crafted and pleasure to handle metal cases of other high end portable DAC/amps.

I'm well aware audiophiles hate any form of equalization. That makes me a non-audiophile. I'm just a guy who enjoys good sound. When I equalize using the Oratory1990 curves, it's a big step up in sound quality on my HD 58X (and a tiny step up on my Sundara). If I was a purist, I would be listening on my living room 2 channel system from album and simply accept that I am a prisoner of my listening chair who can never accomplish anything in life. It wouldn't sound much better and where it does sound better, that is not due to PEQ degredation.

The Radsone ES-100 is an excellent device which served me well for years but it's GEQ isn't in the same useability league. The ES-100 is too fiddley for use with multiple headphones. Mine is permanently set for the HD 58X and it works very well for that. The way Qudelix integrated the Oratory1990 database (and others) as presets is brilliant. In a perfect world, they would also include house curves but they can easily be added manually using the custom saved settings.

I prefer the Q5K PEQ to AutoEQ on my desktop. I know they are essentially the same thing with the same result but the Q5K has it beautifully integrated.

Lastly, having more power than a phone can deliver is definitely a good thing. Most of the time, it's irrelevant but when I want to play a song loud there is a clear difference. I wouldn't listen to music while mowing the lawn using distorted sound from my phone but the Q5K can drive a pair of HD 58X as loud as I can handle so it doesn't have to work that hard to drown out the John Deere. The solid bass delivery of a powerful amplifier is a revelation.

I've read some comments the Q5K doesn't have sufficient power to drive Sundara properly. That may be true, and I don't specifically disagree, but it sounds great to me and it delivers all the bass and sound pressure I want. The Topping A50s has a lot more power but sounds about the same to my ears. Both can drive the Sundara harder than I would ever listen but I'm 56 and try to be gentle on my hearing.

IMO: Variance between DACs is miniscule to infinitesimal. Variance between amps is minor. Reducing impedance with a balanced cable and having the power to drive the reduced impedance is a significant improvement at high volume or heavy bass.

Back to the mobility point... I picked up a TP-Link AC1200 for long range bluetooth and now I can roam anywhere in the house glitch free, with local volume, and even local track change.

I'm loving this. Q5K is a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #4,092 of 4,807
This is an opinion piece so no need to read and feel free rip me to shreds. There are people who diametrically oppose my view and I respect that position.

IMO, an amp/DAC is barely needed. It makes more sense to get a phone with decent sound. I've had phones that sounded plenty good enough for me with sufficient power for IEMs or HD 58X (IE: Blackberry Z10, Nexus 6s, couple of LG models...). Less equipment is better than more.

Even LDAC introduces loss, although only at bit rates beyond redbook audio. The point being, an external DAC/amp isn't purely an SQ gain.

There are two reasons I love the Q5K: mobility and PEQ

I've enjoyed a decent headphone experience while sitting in my office for years. The Q5K sounds about the same as my Topping stack (P50, D50s, A50s), however, being able to get up and walk to the kitchen for a drink or the bathroom for a whiz is a wonderful improvement. I don't understand why it's good to continue rocking out without interruption but it is. I can listen to an entire album, without interruption, while I am working, peeing, or fetching a snack. This is a perfect world.

I do worry that one day I will be listening on my wired stack and walk away without thinking about it, damaging a headphone cable. This hasn't happened yet, likely due to the fact that I haven't turned on the Topping stack in months.

To this end, the non-impressive plastic case of the Q5K must surely be a better bluetooth solution than the any of the beautifuly crafted and pleasure to handle metal cases of other high end portable DAC/amps.

I'm well aware audiophiles hate any form of equalization. That makes me a non-audiophile. I'm just a guy who enjoys good sound. When I equalize using the Oratory1990 curves, it's a big step up in sound quality on my HD 58X (and a tiny step up on my Sundara). If I was a purist, I would be listening on my living room 2 channel system from album and simply accept that I am a prisoner of my listening chair who can never accomplish anything in life. It wouldn't sound much better and where it does sound better, that is not due to PEQ degredation.

The Radsone ES-100 is an excellent device which served me well for years but it's GEQ isn't in the same useability league. The ES-100 is too fiddley for use with multiple headphones. Mine is permanently set for the HD 58X and it works very well for that. The way Qudelix integrated the Oratory1990 database (and others) as presets is brilliant. In a perfect world, they would also include house curves but they can easily be added manually using the custom saved settings.

I prefer the Q5K PEQ to AutoEQ on my desktop. I know they are essentially the same thing with the same result but the Q5K has it beautifully integrated.

Lastly, having more power than a phone can deliver is definitely a good thing. Most of the time, it's irrelevant but when I want to play a song loud there is a clear difference. I wouldn't listen to music while mowing the lawn using distorted sound from my phone but the Q5K can drive a pair of HD 58X as loud as I can handle so it doesn't have to work that hard to drown out the John Deere. The solid bass delivery of a powerful amplifier is a revelation.

I've read some comments the Q5K doesn't have sufficient power to drive Sundara properly. That may be true, and I don't specifically disagree, but it sounds great to me and it delivers all the bass and sound pressure I want. The Topping A50s has a lot more power but sounds about the same to my ears. Both can drive the Sundara harder than I would ever listen but I'm 56 and try to be gentle on my hearing.

IMO: Variance between DACs is miniscule to infinitesimal. Variance between amps is minor. Reducing impedance with a balanced cable and having the power to drive the reduced impedance is a significant improvement at high volume or heavy bass.

Back to the mobility point... I picked up a TP-Link AC1200 for long range bluetooth and now I can roam anywhere in the house glitch free, with local volume, and even local track change.

I'm loving this. Q5K is a slam dunk.
Great testimony man, and I completely agree with you. Still think it's the best bargain I've experienced in my audio journey, and I use it every day.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #4,093 of 4,807

I wouldn't use an open headphone while mowing the lawn :)

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #4,094 of 4,807
Just pre-ordered the T71 as well, taking advantage of the $30 discount for having already bought the 5K. The T71 definitely seems like an odd product, like they wanted to make a DAC that could be used with a desktop PC as well as on the go. Not sure how many have a use case for that. Either way, I do love my 5K, and once I get the T71 in I'll write up a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back