The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #526 of 4,787
Can i damage something when i try it on my btr5?

You won't damage BTR5 as one output will be disable automatically when another is plugged in. In this case, the 3.5mm socket will take priority over the 2.5mm socket.

On 5K, the two sockets are placed so closed that you can't physically plug two of them in at the same time, which is quite a smart design

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #527 of 4,787
The part about getting more current output confused me. The two channels in ghost ground will be in zero volt, and I am not sure how can they get any current out of zero volt.

Some more explanation on the zero output from qudelix support:

To explain in another way.3.5mm (2ch DAC/AMP)L+, R+, Ground2.5mmm (4ch DAC/AMP)L+,L-,R+,R-Ghost Ground (4ch DAC/AMP)L+, Ghost Ground, R+, Ghost GroundIt's the same as the Balanced, but L-,R- output zeros always.Of course, the quality of the cable matters in term of sound quality.But it doesn't damage the DAC in all cases.Thank you!

https://qudelix.discussion.community/post/ghost-ground-mode-10565172?pid=1311769951&random=6767

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #528 of 4,787
Some more explanation on the zero output from qudelix support:

To explain in another way.3.5mm (2ch DAC/AMP)L+, R+, Ground2.5mmm (4ch DAC/AMP)L+,L-,R+,R-Ghost Ground (4ch DAC/AMP)L+, Ghost Ground, R+, Ghost GroundIt's the same as the Balanced, but L-,R- output zeros always.Of course, the quality of the cable matters in term of sound quality.But it doesn't damage the DAC in all cases.Thank you!

https://qudelix.discussion.community/post/ghost-ground-mode-10565172?pid=1311769951&random=6767

The issue that confused me is not which channels are acting as which, but zero voltage = zero current, so ghost ground shouldn't provide any current at all. On top of that, the flow of current should have gone from Left+ and Right- to ghost ground (*from higher to lower voltage), so ghost ground is going to be the current sink. But if ghost ground can output current somehow, it will be the source - that means it is both a sink and a source at the same time, which seems impossible, at least to me. This is not the same as when they are used as balanced output, as when one side is pushing (sourcing) where the other side is pulling (sinking) while switching rapidly depends on the music signal. With zero volt, ghost ground should only be sinking and not sourcing - I am not saying this won't work, just that it shouldn't be any extra current even if 4 channels are involved than it is 2 channels. Maybe somehow it can - I am not an electrical engineer so I could be wrong here.

Anyway, this won't really matter much to me besides as a technical discussion since I don't really have much use of ghost ground. I already have a decent desktop DAC/amp with bluetooth and LDAC, so I don't need to use 5K as desktop receiver nor face any possible common mode noise issue. Ghost ground will be like the bonus feature that I'll never use. As long as the normal single-ended and balanced output are as good as I hope they will be, I am all good.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #530 of 4,787
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #531 of 4,787
I got the same phone number email.

Does that mean it was an accidental email?

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #532 of 4,787
Always the apologist. That is not what Qudelix said in the reply on their blog. They did not say it is policy. They said they wanted to build a following based on subjective (and we know how unreliable and probe to hype those can be) opinions. It should be standard for all companies to test and provide the test results. What's worse, you are suggesting now that the burden of showing test results in on ASR and buyers. Disgraceful showing there.

Exactly what i meant to say with my post=)

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #533 of 4,787

If you only got the general e-mail, and on your order page the phone number is filled in, you're good. Mine was not filled in and I received a direct e-mail from Qudelix support this morning requesting it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #534 of 4,787
Having used one of the same chip (out of many other different chips used) is probably not going to result in a "same device" situation. There are much more to a BT adapter than just a DAC/amp chip. Otherwise Shanling UP4 will be the 'same device' as BTR5, which it is not as I have verified it by both my ears and my measurement gears,

Some companies do have policy that they will not send out sample, and it shouldn't be counted against them. It isn't costing an arm and a leg so Amirm (or any one from ASR) can certainly afford to get one if it is of interest of any of them. In fact, many here in the forum are capable of doing decent measurement as well - might not be as accurate as an AP, but good enough to tell a good BT adapter from a bad one. I know I/ll probably do some measurement myself, as I did will most of my gears.

It is not the cost that was my point at all. My point was that the company should bring on with measurements before they release it, so us customer's know what we will get. It is just so weird and wrong when a company rather want to create a following based on hype than to stand proudly behind their own product and verify/ give us measurement/numbers. And that its very important to us audiogeeks also.

To say it simple: If they have a good competetive product, why not publish the facts about it? If it is good, THEN the word to mouth( as they said they wanted) will spread fast .

When they dont want to do that, i immediately think that they have something to hide and want to sell as much as possible before release.

We as customers should do what we can to push the companies to make BETTER audio equipment back by numbers/ measurements. There is alot of bogus in the audiomarket and very expensive stuff has been measured to be very bad. Very bad!

Personally i really hope the 5K Qudelix is very good and starts a competion with shanling and fiio about market shares. That would be awesome!

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #535 of 4,787
It is not the cost that was my point at all. My point was that the company should bring on with measurements before they release it, so us customer's know what we will get. It is just so weird and wrong when a company rather want to create a following based on hype than to stand proudly behind their own product and verify/ give us measurement/numbers. And that its very important to us audiogeeks also.

To say it simple: If they have a good competetive product, why not publish the facts about it? If it is good, THEN the word to mouth( as they said they wanted) will spread fast .

When they dont want to do that, i immediately think that they have something to hide and want to sell as much as possible before release.

We as customers should do what we can to push the companies to make BETTER audio equipment back by numbers/ measurements. There is alot of bogus in the audiomarket and very expensive stuff has been measured to be very bad. Very bad!

Personally i really hope the 5K Qudelix is very good and starts a competion with shanling and fiio about market shares. That would be awesome!

Again, remember the LH Geek hype-train a few years ago that purely based on how LH marketed / hyped up the Geek by publishing exceptional number that come from fake test. A lot of company published measurement in spec that are completely not up to real world measured result, because they are quoting chips spec as 'real spec' or simply not measuring under standard/fair condition. The question is not just whether companies should publish measurement (*which I think they should), but also to hold them accountable to their published result (*which unfortunately many customer don't care). More so, if a company is willing to lie to their customer about measurement result, do you think you will trust them to send a completely untampered sample to a third party for measurement? My point is, while publishing measurement is nice at all, I won't take it as it is, especially coming from the manufacturer. A&K, for an example, often publishes super-nice spec about their DAP, but "forget" to mention that most of the testes were done in unloaded condition and therefore the result doesn't reflect actual real life performance. That is more evil than not telling people any spec at all. That's the kind of hype-train that are more worrisome when manufacturer is bending number to suit their need. As far as I can tell, at least Qudelix hasn't tried to make any magical claim yet, and I am just not willing to find them guilty of poor quality until they are proven innocent.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #537 of 4,787
And why do they need phone numbers? Paid with paypall but they say they need it to send me thé item? I'm confused and afrai this is not legit anymore
Probably for custom clearance. If the item gets stuck in custom and need to pay import tax, shipping company will need to contact you directly to arrange for payment. At least that's what DHL did last time my package was stuck at custom.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #538 of 4,787
MY OPINION on the last couple of topics trending...

Phone numbers - I have had many companies request this for shipping. Your phone number is probably readily available online so if this were a nefarious actor they probably can easily find it. I dont think you have much to worry about.

Test results - buy based on what you have seen or heard, don’t buy based on what you haven’t seen or heard. Completely your choice, so choose based on your comfort level. I tend to be a risk taker so I bought the 5K (and many other items) with minimal details. In general I recommend that most people wait until numerous reviews (objective or subjective, whatever you trust most) are out so you have a better idea of what you are getting, and a product is already in stock so you are not frustrated by the inevitable launch delays. It’s OK not to be first in line, and usually safer.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #539 of 4,787

I saw the post last night and emailed them. I then received the same email posted above and emailed them again and they confirmed they have updated my phone number. I would email them just in case.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #540 of 4,787
And why do they need phone numbers? Paid with paypall but they say they need it to send me thé item? I'm confused and afrai this is not legit anymore
Quoted from their e-mail to me received this morning:
“Active phone number is required for the shipping and customs, the shipping can't be made unless otherwise.” (sic)
If anything the very fact they ask proves this is legit, scammers don’t care if your imaginary parcel passes customs.

edit: I am healthily suspicious as a rule but there is nothing with Qudelix that even remotely qualifies as a red flag for me. There was the too long time when they stopped communicating altogether and I was afraid they!d shut down, but it now appears that was just a bit of naive community management while they were full-on trying to get the 5K out the door - and they afforded that lapse because they had taken no preorders at the time, so no one had to be reassured their money hadn't vanished. That last point, the fact that they only took pre-orders when they were a couple of weeks from shipping the 5K and didn’t look for funding on Indiegogo etc, is also a classy move on their part and proof of their good faith.

In addition there is the well-known pedigree of the company’s founder, the same guy behind the successful ES100 (the Paypal invoice when you buy the 5K bears wslee’s e-mail). From his past communications on this forum he is known for his openness to customer suggestions and straightforward demeanor. An attitude that I feel has carried over to Qudelix and this project.

All in all if this was a financial investment I’d say the risk factor is around 2 out of 7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back