The Qudelix-5K thread
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,726 of 4,782
The DD short cable is one of the few mass produced options for short cables. I like it waaaay better than the Fiio short cables. I especially appreciate its thinness.

However, I have had some custom cables built that sound a lot better for about the same price. And after about a year of ownership, my DD cable has tarnished almost to the point of being gold 😳

Actually, I feel that though the cable is really thin, it's quite not flexible enough compared to my other short cable (which is 3 or 4 times thicker) to be totally comfortable.
But concerning the sound, after a few dozen hours using them this week, I feel it's good enough to my ears with the Xelento. Then, maybe the plastic protection around the cable is a rather cheap/bad quality and is becoming old fairly quick ?

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,727 of 4,782
The DD short cable is one of the few mass produced options for short cables. I like it waaaay better than the Fiio short cables. I especially appreciate its thinness.

However, I have had some custom cables built that sound a lot better for about the same price. And after about a year of ownership, my DD cable has tarnished almost to the point of being gold 😳
Ouch, now I regret buying one :frowning2:

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,728 of 4,782
Is anyone using their 5K with an iPad? Has anyone had any problems with the software on the iPad? It keeps giving me problems, and now doesn’t even sync with my device.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,729 of 4,782
Noooooo - it is actually a good deal, if you need to snag something quickly (vs waiting for a custom built cable or tracking down a cable from a small shop).

To say that it was outclassed by other cables is not meant to be a dig. Almost every cable could be outclassed by something that better fits your preferences.

I actually appreciate every single design decision they made, other than picking a permeable insulator...

I feel it is worth keeping for ~$40, regardless of the other cables I own.

Ouch, now I regret buying one :frowning2:

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,730 of 4,782
Got my 5K the other day and just from a functional point of view alone this is worth it. The raised tab on the pause/play is so easy to use. With my ES100 I was forever fumbling trying to get under the 2.5mm plug (right angle Campfire Audio cable) to get at the pause button.
I do have a small complaint about the volume seeming to start very low which I’m sure is a safety thing but kind of annoying sometimes. The ES100 had a better memory that way. Maybe this is adjustable in the app but I’ve barely scratched the surface in exploring it.
Sound wise I haven’t done a direct a/b comparison but I feel like the soundstage depth is greater and perhaps the resolution is cleaner in vocals. I’ll get used to this then try the ES100 again and compare.
I’ve been using an iPhone for a source so the difference might be tougher to discern than with a better codec.

Even if it sounded the same it is so much better to use that I am very pleased.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,731 of 4,782
Got my 5K the other day and just from a functional point of view alone this is worth it. The raised tab on the pause/play is so easy to use. With my ES100 I was forever fumbling trying to get under the 2.5mm plug (right angle Campfire Audio cable) to get at the pause button.
I do have a small complaint about the volume seeming to start very low which I’m sure is a safety thing but kind of annoying sometimes. The ES100 had a better memory that way. Maybe this is adjustable in the app but I’ve barely scratched the surface in exploring it.
Sound wise I haven’t done a direct a/b comparison but I feel like the soundstage depth is greater and perhaps the resolution is cleaner in vocals. I’ll get used to this then try the ES100 again and compare.
I’ve been using an iPhone for a source so the difference might be tougher to discern than with a better codec.

Even if it sounded the same it is so much better to use that I am very pleased.

From the Qudilex app, there are two volume bars. The phone and the device. You probably need to raise the other volume bar to max from the app.

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #1,732 of 4,782
From the Qudilex app, there are two volume bars. The phone and the device. You probably need to raise the other volume bar to max from the app.

I have the phone bar raised. Thats not the issue. It seems that when I switch from music to the podcast app, the volume goes very low. Then when I go back to the music the same thing. I also have Bluetooth earmuffs at work for when my ears get sore from iems and when I switch back to the 5k the volume is super low again. It’s as if it resets to a very low volume every time. I saw there was a “volume protection” slider which I assume might be responsible for all this but I just found that today and changing it said a reboot was necessary so I didn’t experiment with that yet. Plus there’s a warning not to...

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #1,733 of 4,782
Hi - I’m picking up a pair of RAAL SR1a later, with a Jottenheim R Amp.

I want to use a Qudelix 5k DAC as the source into the amp - can someone please tell me which output and which setting to use?

I read headphone outputs need to match the voltage?? of line inputs?

And with the Qudelix I can use balanced 2.5mm output with a balanced cable I have, or use an adaptor for the 3.5mm output

I can only use the balanced inputs on the Amp as I don’t have a cable ending in phono plugs at the mo

Thanks for anyone who can spoon feed me the best option :) :) :)

kind regards
Jamie

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #1,735 of 4,782
Qudelix 5k sounds pretty immmense with my KSE1200. Plus built in PEQ :)

So I’m starting on the basis that it will sound great with the RAAL - even I don’t squeeze every last drop out of them.

Any input on the question at hand? I reworded it on re-reading to make it clearer :)

EDIT -
Google beat you to it. The chord mojo manual says their adjustable output option to use with a line level input changes it to 3v. So I guess 3v is what I need :)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,737 of 4,782
Just tried my 5k at work with my FiiO FH3, Sony ZX507 with LDAC... what amazing sound quality. Much better than the iPhone.
Did you like the output of sound in 5K better then your output from SONY ZX507?

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #1,738 of 4,782
I'll have to get back to you on that. With the FH3 I have a 2.5mm cable so I haven't really bothered to try a 4.4mm cable with them to go direct from the ZX507.
This is my work set up and I've destroyed cables getting them caught on things while walking around which is why I've gotten into Bluetooth.
I did try my Anandas with 3.5 from the 5K with the ZX507 and I actually preferred the sound over direct from the Sony but that could be as simple as a power issue.

I waited a couple months before finally buying the 5K because my ES100 still works fine but I am very glad I finally did make the switch.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,740 of 4,782
Is anyone using their 5K with an iPad? Has anyone had any problems with the software on the iPad? It keeps giving me problems, and now doesn’t even sync with my device.
Anyone?

I purchased one to use with my iPad, and one for my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back