The Qudelix-5K thread
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,711 of 4,753
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,712 of 4,753
Anyone have some examples of what they weren't quite able to drive with the 5K?

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,713 of 4,753
Anyone have some examples of what they weren't quite able to drive with the 5K?

Though it's loud enough, low frequencies impacts with the IER Z1R are not as deep, clear and powerful without a balanced amp like the Oriolus BA300s in between the Qudelix 5K and the IER Z1R.
With the closed Z7M2, i get same issue, the Qudelix alone can't reach at all a satisfying sound level on some DSD (amp is not powerful enough and missing providing some high peak voltage or just good capacitors ?).
But, with the Beyerdynamics Xelento in balance mode, there is no issue at all, I love to use these earbuds with the Qudelix using a short 2.5mm balanced cable (50cm), and, for sure, it's a nice feature the multipoint BT5.0 (I use with it with my smartphone and Office BT Phone for working with music and switching with phones automatically)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,714 of 4,753
Though it's loud enough, low frequencies impacts with the IER Z1R are not as deep, clear and powerful without a balanced amp like the Oriolus BA300s in between the Qudelix 5K and the IER Z1R.
With the closed Z7M2, i get same issue, the Qudelix alone can't reach at all a satisfying sound level on some DSD (amp is not powerful enough and missing providing some high peak voltage or just good capacitors ?).
But, with the Beyerdynamics Xelento in balance mode, there is no issue at all, I love to use these earbuds with the Qudelix using a short 2.5mm balanced cable (50cm), and, for sure, it's a nice feature the multipoint BT5.0 (I use with it with my smartphone and Office BT Phone for working with music and switching with phones automatically)
What short cable are you using? Ddhifi maybe?

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,715 of 4,753
What short cable are you using? Ddhifi maybe?

A short cable chinese made 8 Core OCC silver plated I bought on aliexpress,
But I ordered a few weeks ago the DDHifi bc50b too (it arrived in my country, so probably within this week the cable should be in my home).

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,716 of 4,753
Makes sense, appreciate the input.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,717 of 4,753
Got my Q5K yesterday.

I'm not very good in describing sound but I will try: I find Q5k retains that older ESS's (9018 and 9028) "sabre shrills". That was the reason why I sold Oppo HA2 (9018) for Fiio Q5 (AK4490) when it was released.

"Sabre shrills" affect female vocals and treble the most: it makes them sounds a little metallic and unnatural (in relative, compared to AK counterparts) but you may be getting more information out from the music hence some.may call this signature "analytical".

I sold my Fiio Q5 thinking to upgrade to Q5s (LDAC! THX AAA!) but Fiio Q5s' poor measurements on audiosciencereview made me reconsider and ended up buying Q5k. In comparison, I would describe Fiio Q5's sound as "musical".

Now I am thinking whether I have made a right decision.... Not sure how pEQ can save that, I will try to play around with it.

Hamster

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,718 of 4,753
I also owned BTR5 but I misplaced it hence I won't be able to make comparison between them. They use the same 9018 chip but I as far as I can remember, I did not have the term "sabre shrill" keep rotating in my head when I was playing with them. Fiio did a great job tuning that brilliant little thing.

IEM: Audiosense T800 8BA

Hamster

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,719 of 4,753
I also owned BTR5 but I misplaced it hence I won't be able to make comparison between them. They use the same 9018 chip but I as far as I can remember, I did not have the term "sabre shrill" keep rotating in my head when I was playing with them. Fiio did a great job tuning that brilliant little thing.

IEM: Audiosense T800 8BA

Hamster

I would suggest giving the PEQ a shot. I am not familiar with your IEMs but some of the reviews on Amazon (just looked it up out of curiosity) have words like "sibilance" and "shrill" in them so the EQ may help. The PEQ makes my Shure SE535s sound fantastic.

Also, you mention Q5s but, in my mind, the Q5s is a different type of product and in a different price range so not really a fair comparison vs the Q5K in my opinion (you may think differently and that is ok). Whenever i get the itch, I always seem to look at the Q5s because it seems like a great package but I do want to point out that the output impedance of the Q5s might not be ideal for your IEMs as it is listed at <2 ohms (min. 16ohn headphone impedance recommended per the specs). This is what has kept me from buying it since my main IEMs are SE846s (super low impedance like yours).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #1,720 of 4,753
I would suggest giving the PEQ a shot. I am not familiar with your IEMs but some of the reviews on Amazon (just looked it up out of curiosity) have words like "sibilance" and "shrill" in them so the EQ may help. The PEQ makes my Shure SE535s sound fantastic.

Also, you mention Q5s but, in my mind, the Q5s is a different type of product and in a different price range so not really a fair comparison vs the Q5K in my opinion (you may think differently and that is ok). Whenever i get the itch, I always seem to look at the Q5s because it seems like a great package but I do want to point out that the output impedance of the Q5s might not be ideal for your IEMs as it is listed at <2 ohms (min. 16ohn headphone impedance recommended per the specs). This is what has kept me from buying it since my main IEMs are SE846s (super low impedance like yours).

Thanks TK33. Q5s THX module is <1.5Ω but still yes, it is less than ideal. I will keep playing with pEQ.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,721 of 4,753
A short cable chinese made 8 Core OCC silver plated I bought on aliexpress,
But I ordered a few weeks ago the DDHifi bc50b too (it arrived in my country, so probably within this week the cable should be in my home).

I answer to myself .. As expected, I just received the DDHifi BC50B (Balanced 2.5mm MMCX).. and its an impressive short thin cable and connectors (more compact than my former short balanced cable) !!! Though it could be more flexible, it's comfortable and sound still as good.
20201112_143056.jpg

I have maybe found my endgame walk around / "sleeping" combo.. Qudelix 5K + DDhifi BC50B + Beyerdynamic Xelento + Sony Silicon Z1R L tips .. can be used with my smartphone (ZFold25G) or my DAP (NW-WM1A).

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,723 of 4,753
the qudelix 5k is pretty awesome. small form factor. even my cables weigh more than this. lol
This! I was wondering where to clip it for the gym, but found out when working out sitting or standing I could just wear it as a pendant. Just the pressure of the T-shirt on it is enough to make it feel weightless.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,724 of 4,753
I don't suppose anyone's tried plugging the 5K-usb-c into a Google Stadia controller?
I've tried it bluetooth, but the latency is horrendous, and I don't have a Stadia controller yet to try out wired.
Anyone out there got one?

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,725 of 4,753
The DD short cable is one of the few mass produced options for short cables. I like it waaaay better than the Fiio short cables. I especially appreciate its thinness.

However, I have had some custom cables built that sound a lot better for about the same price. And after about a year of ownership, my DD cable has tarnished almost to the point of being gold 😳

I answer to myself .. As expected, I just received the DDHifi BC50B (Balanced 2.5mm MMCX).. and its an impressive short thin cable and connectors (more compact than my former short balanced cable) !!! Though it could be more flexible, it's comfortable and sound still as good.

I have maybe found my endgame walk around / "sleeping" combo.. Qudelix 5K + DDhifi BC50B + Beyerdynamic Xelento + Sony Silicon Z1R L tips .. can be used with my smartphone (ZFold25G) or my DAP (NW-WM1A).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back