The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Jul 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #107 of 493
everyone should check out Pretend - Bones in the Soil, Rust in the Oil
Very epic 1hour and 17mins. Post and math rock mix.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #108 of 493
OK, can someone recommend to me what the sort of archetypal "Math Rock" band would be?  Not something ultra-obscure, please - looking for the Sigur Ros of Math Rock
wink_face.gif
  I've got post-rock pretty well figured, but I don't get Math Rock yet.

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #109 of 493

Quote:
OK, can someone recommend to me what the sort of archetypal "Math Rock" band would be?  Not something ultra-obscure, please - looking for the Sigur Ros of Math Rock
wink_face.gif
  I've got post-rock pretty well figured, but I don't get Math Rock yet.

Thanks.

that's a tough one.
as there are branches of the "math rock" sound that vary wildly.
some have anthemic vocals and slightly complex instrumentation (june of 44, for example).
other have buried vocals, and the focus is on the instrumentation and time signature shifts (shellac, for example).

i'd probably say check out june of 44, and shellac.
to hear two sides of the same coin...

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #110 of 493
or, better yet rob...
check out the one album that encapsulates the math rock "thing" the best, i think.

Mirrored by Battles.

even tho battles arrived on the scene really late, they sort of typify math rock.

the drummer, John Stanier, from the band Helmet as well, is just absolutely a machine...

enjoy.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #111 of 493
I've seen Mono and This Will Destroy You live in the last 2 months, and they were great. Mono especially just had this engulfing, jaw-dropping wall of sound that was everything I could have ever wanted. I saw Explosions in the Sky last summer, too, and they were great. Some other bands I particularly like are Saxon Shore (though they can be a little predictable), Collapse Under the Empire, and Yndi Halda. All great bands I heard about through last.fm, so I'm very fond of last.fm's recommendation system.

Of course, there's the obligatory Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor responses. I finally bought "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." and it is an absolute masterpiece of Post Rock.

I remember when I was first getting into Mogwai, every hardcore Mogwai fan I found badmouthed "Mr Beast" to the ends of the Earth, so I discounted it as a crappy album. However, I finally bought it when it was the only Mogwai I could find at Best Buy, and it quickly made it in to quite possibly my Top 10 all-time list, and certainly in my Top 5 for Post Rock. Sure, it's a little different, but it's beautiful. I even bought "Zidane" because I thought "Mr Beast" would make me less of a fan, and since I've bought Mr Beast, I've only listened to Zidane like once, to help me go to sleep. "Hawk is Howling" is still a good album, too, but didn't have the same effect as "Mr Beast" for me, personally. However, "Come on Die Young" and "Young Team" are sort of their personifying albums.

Also, I just went to Mogwai's site. Is anyone preordering this new album? I may do the Premium one for the triple LP...

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #112 of 493
Mr. Beast Is my favorite Mogwai album also. I don't get the hate.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #113 of 493
Thanks, The Wuss, that was helpful.  I tried some samples, but I am not sure it's for me.  I like a lot of Post Rock, including Mogwai and GYBE, but I am not sure I am a Math Rock person.  Will have to try it more later.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #115 of 493
beefheart---> john zorn's naked city ---> don cabellero's what burns never returns

is how i normally map math rock. i'd consider don cab to be the "sigur ros" of math rock. vocals with math rock can be really hit or miss i think. 

there is the whole midwest shellac/rapeman vein that gave us us maple, breadwinner, sweet the leg johnny as well. sweep the leg johnny bridges the gap between nation of ulysses east cost punk and shellac's midwest math rock, and i think will be remembered more fondly as time goes on. just like moss icon, swing kids and indian summer are today regarding what became screamo. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #116 of 493
^
this thread suddenly became interesting.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

zz

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #117 of 493
yeah.  i'm more a fan of the stuff that came out of d.c.
even tho most of it is less math-y.
like shudder to think, dismemberment plan, jawbox, faraquet, etc.

sweep the leg johnny?  didn't like the ska horn.  hahaha.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #118 of 493
dis plan and faraquet definitely have their math moments and are great bands. i'd throw Q and not U (first album at least) as math-flirt bands. 

what's funny about that ska horn joke with sweep is that the second dis plan has a bunch of that same style horn on it. i'm glad they made emergency and i instead which is in my top 10 albums of all time. 

but for pure like time signatures doing long division i think the midwest does that stuff the best. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #119 of 493
Jul 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #120 of 493
I think that one sonic youth album got a 0.0 and that Jet album got...uh a video of a monkey urinating into its own mouth. .. but i mean it's not good and when you take that it's not very good plus all the angst/drama over dis plan breaking up (and how bored the band looked playing some of these songs live) i think would rationalize the score. i still like born in '72 but that's about it. there's some awful awful lyrics on that album and it lacks any sort of music spark. 

there was a similar but smaller backlash against change because everyone wanted it to be like their totally awesome live show and that juno ep. and not anemic indie rock. 
Quote:
i like it too.
and Change as well.
but what's up with that travis morrison solo album?  i've never heard it, but didn't it receive the lowest pitchfork score ever???
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5607-travistan/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back