The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
May 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 493

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus

I have seriously got into the Post Rock / Math Rock scene and this is the thread to appreciate such music.  Here is an adaptation of ProgArchives.com definition of the genre

The term post-rock was coined by Simon Reynolds in issue 123 of The Wire (May 1994) to describe a sort of music "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and power chords."

As with many musical genres, the term is arguably inadequate: it is used for the music of Tortoise as well as that of Mogwai, two bands who have very little in common besides the fact that their music is largely instrumental.

The aforementioned Tortoise was among the founders of the movement. After the second Tortoise LP Millions Now Living Will Never Die, the band became a post-rock icon. After Millions... many bands (e.g., Do Make Say Think) began to record, inspired by the "Tortoise-sound" and were often described as post-rock.

Montreal, Quebec band Godspeed You Black Emperor! - later renamed 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor' - brought a political element with anti-globalization movement leanings.

By the early 2000s, the term had started to fall out of favour, while the major artists kept on making high quality recordings. The wide range of styles covered by the term had robbed it of its usefulness almost from the moment it was coined.

Closely related to post-rock is the genre known as Math rock, characterized by more percussive timbres, and more dissonant harmonic gestures.

Math Rock is a genre that emerged in the late 80's and is characterized by complex structures, angular melodies and constant abrupt changes in tempo and time signature. The name Math Rock is a term that grew out of the Chicago scene and the artists working with engineer Steve Albini in an effort to describe the new style.

The basic building blocks of Post and Math Rock can be traced back to the late 60's and 70's where Progressive Rock artists were making more elaborate compositions than the standard rock bands and were experimenting with song structures.  Punk also had significant impact on the sound of Math Rock bands. Other notable influences are: Post-Rock, Heavy Metal, and Jazz.”

So it is a real melting pot, but the common factor is that it is primarily instrumental, progressive music.

From Wikipedia Math Rock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_rock and Post Rock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Rock

My first post rock experience was with Mogwai, the Scottish band who major on distorted slow fast guitar lead instrumental. Then I found Tortoise and their album TNT, which I bought brand new in its cellophane for 10p at a jumble sale. It the best 10p I have ever spent.

Most of my favourites are the US bands such as Unwed Sailor, Maserati, The Album Leaf, El Ten Eleven and Grails who I saw live recently.

May 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 493
Two classic albums by Tortoise and Tristeza, who are from San Francisco and occupy the, softer more melodic end of the genre.

May 22, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 493
From the harder end of the genre where rhythm and lead guitar dominate in a wall of sound, Germany's Daturah and the US's Russian Circles.

May 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 493
French band Microfilm and a very happy uplifting sound with a rock beat and samples from old film dialogue

May 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 493
Never really understood this Post-Rock label - so help me out.

Are Isis and Mono (Japanese band) following Post Rock or not?

And which Mogwai album should I start off with?

May 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 493
May I submit for Post-Rock...

Godspeed You! Black Emperor's f♯a♯∞

and Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn

and for Math-Rock...
Battles - EP C/B EP

That will do for now 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 493
F*ck Buttons are my current fave post act.  I have loved both their full lengths. Tarot Sport was my favorite album of last year in fact. Also a big Tortoise fan, so there can never be enough love for them.

May 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 493

Quote:

I would call Isis Post-Metal like Pelican. Some may include Red Sparowes as well.  I would put Mono under Post-rock, but they probably wouldn't. Many of these bands shy away from these labels, I can't say I blame them. But when I first started listening to this style of music it helped point me in the right direction. Then it's just down to having a listen and seeing what you like. 

As far as Mogwai goes, you're spoilt for choice. Rock Action, Come on Die Young and Young Team are all good places to start IMO. 

May 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 493

Quote:

Have you got links to Isis and Mono, there are other bands which share the name?

As for Mogwai, my first album was Rock Action, but all of their albums have their distinct sound. If you like that try Explosions in The Sky 

and from Sheffield in England the rather intense 65daysofstatic for the darker side of post rock.

May 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 493
As for Battles, if you want a drum fest, try the album Mirrored, amazing............

May 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 493
I generally don't then to bother too much about genre labels (especially sub-genre labels), but was curious enough since every now and then people talk about Post-Rock and I have no idea what they are referring to.

Isis

Mono

May 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 493
Re the genre issue, I want it to be a wide definition and this thread is more about the bands and music, most of whom get very little exposure.

May 23, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 493
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place is my favorite Post-Rock album ever! But I have about 33gb of post rock alone and its hard to talk about it all, but everyone should listen to that album. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back