The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Jun 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #92 of 493
Circle and the album 'Forest' is excellent, with a Tangerine Dream vibe through it...

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #93 of 493

Quote:
Circle and the album 'Forest' is excellent, with a Tangerine Dream vibe through it...

careful, now!  if you're getting into Circle, you might hear a lot from me. 
hahahaha.
they are just nearly my favorite band.  and i have every recording they've ever made.  even side projects.
they are definitely an acquired taste, tho.  and very different from album to album.

forest is just excellent, tho.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE that record.
they recorded forest with one microphone and minimal overdubs, with keyboards and sampler run "direct".  they sat in a "circle" and played their respective instruments.
it is really great for late night headphone listening.  spooky and ethereal.
this was the first major appearance of mika's keyboard arpeggios as the foundation for songs.

i asked their bass player (jussi lehtisalo) about that record, and he said it was a sort of hard record to make.  the guitarist's (janne westerlund) girlfriend had recently tragically died, and this was his opportunity to exorcise the grief and demons that had haunted him...

this is the only circle studio album where janne sings lead vocals.
and the only one i can think of where acoustic guitars figure prominently...

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #94 of 493
Anyone bought tickets to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor this year? I don't think they have played live since 2002.

I've ordered my ticket for December
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #95 of 493
My quest for new post-rock material is pretty much ended. Two albums that got me into the genre and are defining post-rock to me are:

Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #96 of 493
Never heard of Do Make Say Think, I will have a search for them. Grooveshark has a better selection of post rock than Spotify.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #97 of 493
Do Make Say Think are tremendous. A few of the members can also be heard in Broken Social Scene. One aspect of DSMT I tend to love is that their sound can change significantly in emotional core from album to album. Overall themes often feel present in each release and really help demonstrate the power of an album over a song.

I highly recommend those who enjoy Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion and the ethos of those two bands check out the rest of the artists on Constellation Records.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #98 of 493

Quote:
My quest for new post-rock material is pretty much ended. Two albums that got me into the genre and are defining post-rock to me are:

Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead

Those are great albums.  I really like Do Make Say Think's & Yet & Yet.  Although The Landlord is Dead track from Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead has an amazing creshendo and might be my favorite song by them.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #99 of 493
Spotify has a ton of Broken Social Scene and just started on thie album which is excellent, thanks!

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #100 of 493
okay.
the thread's been a little post-rock heavy lately.
so, here's some math to make things a little "complicated". 
wink.gif

shudder to think.  pony express record.

mmm mmm mmm. 
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #101 of 493
Presently listening to Shudder To Think (and The Pony Express Record), who I see are described as indie and post hardcore. I would regard both them and Broken Social Scene as post rock/indie crossover and excellent for it. But neither are pure post/math rock.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #102 of 493
yeah.  i wouldn't call shudder to think pure math rock.
but, their time signatures, and stuttery songs really verge on math rock at times.
that is one killer record...

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #103 of 493
I don't think that this lot are pure post/math rock either, but they are superb. I love Spotify's description as 'shabbily dressed Kraftwerk'!

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #104 of 493
I can see the reference to Kraftwerk. I just can't get into a band that uses so much electronics. It puts a very large barrier between me and emotional attachment with the song, which is what I always look for in music. Otherwise it's just a nice collection of assorted sounds.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #105 of 493
Sorry Skrying, in that case you are not going to like post-electro band Errors who hail from Glasgow and are on the same label as Mogwei

Users who are viewing this thread

Back