The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,711 of 1,969
I have been using The Opus 1 by The Bit and am really happy with it. It's a real deal right now at less than $250 on Amazon.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,717 of 1,969
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #1,720 of 1,969
Hi,

im using a Fidue A73 with my Pono and as it sounds good, i think i need an upgrade. I cant compare to other DAPs or IEMs, but i think this combination is a bit mid heavy and missing some clarity. What is your experience? Which non balanced IEM has the best synergy with the Pono? Up to 4-500 EURO (Or do i habe to upgrade the DAP to get a as musical listening experience bit with better stage, layering and clarity?)

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,722 of 1,969
I wouldn't buy a non balanced headphone or IEM to pair with the Pono Player. The Pono sound quality improves a fair amount in balanced mode. There may be a few exceptions. The Pono has an output impedance of 3.3 ohms standard or double that in balanced mode. Some multi driver low impedance earphones might show bigger frequency response swings in balanced mode. A good match improves detail, frequency response, soundstage, etc.

Have you tried balanced cables with the Fidue?

It is very difficult to find something that sonically out performs the PonoPlayer. A few Pono owners have said the over $1.5k AK is in the running. None have reported the Fiio, Onkyo, Pioneer, or Sony as matching the Pono Player.

May 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,723 of 1,969
Have you tried balanced cables with the Fidue?

No i havent. Got a Pinnacle P1 yesterday which i like much better than the Fidue, but still single mode. My main problem is battery life, even in single mode. So going balanced will definitely not help. Another thing would be a greater soundstage. Other than that i still like the pono.

May 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,724 of 1,969
No i havent. Got a Pinnacle P1 yesterday which i like much better than the Fidue, but still single mode. My main problem is battery life, even in single mode. So going balanced will definitely not help. Another thing would be a greater soundstage. Other than that i still like the pono.
Yes balanced takes a little more power. For battery life I plug one of those usb batteries into the Pono. Haven't heard anyone say a different dap has a larger stage than the Pono. Some thought the Pono stage was too large and they must be cheating with dsp. They weren't. Proper components, design (especially custom Ayre digital filter) make the difference. The Pono has a very large stage with Sennheiser HD600 in balanced mode. Seems to be more difficult to get IEMs to have big soundstage - no matter what they are hooked to.

May 8, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,725 of 1,969
Still use my 2 Pono Players exclusively, as they are supurb. The synergy between the PP and Flare Audio IEM's seem to be right on par of what I was looking for. I have the Flare R2S in single mode and it is sublime with the PP. My Flare Pro's are on their way to me, and I'll be using them single at first, then balanced once my cables arrive. The combo still gives me chills, and is the reason I love music again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back