1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Pono Player Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by depaor, Oct 4, 2014.
First

Back
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124
Next

Last
  1. Left Channel
    Most memory issues seem to be hardware. But it's worth a try!

2. L8MDL
    Just go to the Pono discussion site and search for "firmware upgrade". You should find your answer there.

Try here:
    https://www.ponomusic.com/0D51500002CvzvR

I just purchased a new player direct from Pono for $200 and expect to have to update it.

3. nino9
    I wonder if anyone has the PonoMusic Vault 1.1 windows installer?
    The link from Ponomusic website is no longer working.

4. Left Channel
    I've posted a Dropbox link in the comments to this Pono Community discussion. The problem on the Pono website may be temporary, as I'm seeing similar errors on other Salesforce-based websites. Or not.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Dino2000 likes this.
  5. barondla
    From Ayre Acoustics:

Charles Hansen 1956 - 2017

With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, has passed away on November 28th, 2017. Those who knew Charley knew that he was a passionate man who always stood up for what he believed to be right. His family knew him as a loving and dedicated father of his two children. With the passing of Charley, the world has lost one of the most creative and innovative minds in the audio industry and we have lost a good friend.

While we can never replace Charley, his spirit lives on in the team at Ayre. We are dedicated to continuing his mission of creating and manufacturing the best sounding audio equipment in the world. Most importantly, we will be there for our friends, partners, and customers who have supported us over the years. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at any time.

We wish you all the best over the holidays, and please play an album for Charley sometime.

[​IMG]
    Charley Hansen R.I.P.
    https://www.facebook.comThis content is provided by Embed.ly, a third-party service.
    Charles Hansen 1956 - 2017 With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Charles Hansen, founder of Ayre Acoustics, has passed away on November 28th...

6. Left Channel
    I'll post this in both Pono threads, just in case:

The Neil Young Archives went live tonight, with hi-res streaming. Access is free for now: http://www.neilyoungarchives.com

Moving on...

vid1900, Dino2000 and barondla like this.
  7. SearchOfSub
    Can anyone recommend me a DAP with balanced connection that is next level up from the Pono player?

8. SearchOfSub

Is it just Neil Youngs' songs?

9. Left Channel
    Yes, all of them, available free until next summer.

I'm not a big NY fan, but I enjoyed a few tracks. There's lots of additional content too, organized with interesting visual tools.

The Xstream service he's using, being tied to web browsers at this time, was not as impressive. Any activity in other browser tabs can affect quality.

drbluenewmexico likes this.
  10. doctorjazz
    I've been using it Pioneer xdp-300r, I think it sounds really good... There are a good number of options at this price range, though (but I see them and the Onkyo that is the same for sale at good prices).

vid1900 likes this.
  11. drbluenewmexico
    The master quality stream cuts in and out frequently, but does sound significantly better than the only other option, the 320 mp3. i can use master quality on Tida
    without the dropouts regularly. i think its an the Xstream service issue...

12. Left Channel
    Could be on their end, especially since so many people are trying it all at the same time for the first time, and the load balancers are probably going crazy. But it could also be activity in your other browser tabs or elsewhere on your computer.

That is one of the drawbacks of relying on web browsers for playback. Output device control is another. Orastream does have a service called Brio that relies on apps, and that might be a better demonstration of what Xstream could do. But right now this is substandard.

NY and his team sure spent a lot of time designing that interface though. Wow.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    drbluenewmexico likes this.
  13. drbluenewmexico
    the new Young site is a great achievement for immersion in being Young at Heart! kind of throwback old school interface which is fun! wish the hirez worked better however
    hard to listen when the stream keeps cutting out, and the 320 feed is blah.....rather go to Tidal and stream through my Mojo Audio/micro-Zotl system, which makes 96/24 sound fine.
    The episodes of the master Young stream working were delightful for about 30 seconds at a time..no experience yet with MQS, which should rival that....have iFi nano black coming
    on tour soon to check out that new technology however.....apparently the Tidal master streams will work with MQS if you have the right chip in your dac......which the IFI nano blk does...

14. Left Channel
    Agreed, that interface is a masterpiece. And they're working on the streaming. In a discussion on the Pono Music forum it's been mentioned that Orastream has been tuning their servers and that it has improved at some point. But it's also clear from the discussion that anything — anything at all — which might use bandwidth in your house can affect the browser playback. That means so far XStream is failing in its promise that their 15,000 steps of resolution will maintain whatever quality your local bandwidth supports. Having said that, I streamed the entire Harvest album a few hours ago in 24/192 with no dropouts whatsoever, so maybe they are fixing it.

15. Left Channel
    The Chord Mojo and the iFi micro iDSD Black Label are most often mentioned here in the same breath as PonoPlayer, but neither of those has balanced output. There are modded Mojos for sale with balanced out though. And though it doesn't do balanced, the iFi does MQA if you're into that sort of thing.

For balanced connections, you may want to look at DAPs from Onkyo, Astell & Kern, Pioneer, Fiio, and Sony Walkman, from next-level on up into the stratosphere.

Happy Googling. :)

First

Back
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124
Next

Last