The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,531 of 1,969
You didn't pay a penny for PMW as it was free software from the Pono people. As they say, you get what you pay for! I see JRiver in your future - if you get it before January 7th you'll save $12.50US. Resistance is futile.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,532 of 1,969
Why does one actually need JRiver or PonoPlayer? You can just load music dragging and dropping files. The Ponoworld Player was the way to upgrade the software, but I haven't heard of any new versions coming out, suspect there won't be any.
(I actually like JRiver, and have purchased and upgraded it for a long time now, before I got the Pono. I'm using 21, think I'll use the code to go to 22 now).

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,533 of 1,969
Why does one actually need JRiver or PonoPlayer? You can just load music dragging and dropping files. The Ponoworld Player was the way to upgrade the software....

Managing playlists and applying updates would be the main things I think.  And when you create playlists it is very very nice to have a library viewer to navigate and sort. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,534 of 1,969
Makes sense, I don't make many playlists, either listen to albums or set the Pono to random play, let it make the playlist (gotten lazy in my old age).

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,535 of 1,969
  You didn't pay a penny for PMW as it was free software from the Pono people. As they say, you get what you pay for! I see JRiver in your future - if you get it before January 7th you'll save $12.50US. Resistance is futile.

So they didn't sell the player by adding that we get PMW?
I actually don't remember.

Anyways, I need a program because I'm having trouble with 2-3K regions lately...they're too sharp.
Since the Pono doesn't have an EQ I need to reduce those frequencies in a program. (of course I keep the original unmolested files)

Being a Canadian, JRiver is over $50.00 so they can keep it.
I'll rip with EAC and adjust with Foobar and Audacity instead.

Resistance is easy in this case.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,536 of 1,969
I find it to be a nice place for keeping all my music & video/photos. It's also a pretty good player with lots of dsp options. And there's always hope that the Pono store will reopen and sync with JRiver. I don't use it for adding files to my Pono as I prefer to "drag 'n drop".

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,537 of 1,969
It's true, we never had to pay for the Pono version of JRiver (but, you periodically had to renew it, which was a pain).
I do both version of loading music, drag/drop and JRiver, depending on my mood. Sometimes I find JRiver won't send some files for some reason. Sometimes I find drag/drop loses the tagging. Six of one...

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,538 of 1,969
I never used PMW to load music as well.
It seems faster and more convenient just to drag and drop.

What I'll miss is the Room and Spread effects for some of my crappy sounding bootlegs.
I also liked that I could use some aftermarket VST effects like Voxengo.
Then again Audacity and Reaper can use them.

Now I'm finding all the CDs I ripped with PMW are no longer tagged :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,540 of 1,969
Just upgraded my headphones from HD598s to HD700s.  I'm amazed that even single-ended, the PONO can drive the HD700s to sufficient volume anywhere between 35% to 45%.  I loved what Moon-Audio's Blue Dragon cable did to my 598s (opened them up and fleshed them out a ton) and I'm thinking to get a balanced Black Dragon for my HD700s.  Reason: Send more power to the headphones, flesh out some of the spikiness in the 700s and fatten them up a bit.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,541 of 1,969

Updated my PONO listening experience!!!!

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,545 of 1,969
  Do you think the clear Pono has better SQ than the opaque ones?

I think the clear one allows more electrolytes through the case, enhancing the sound. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back