The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,561 of 1,969
Same here, balanced works great with my Westone W40, but I have an acs Encore, sounds absolutely awful with my Pono (even balanced).
I'd disagree a bit that balanced ALWAYS sounds better than solid state. Implementation, implementation implementation! It's like saying tubes sounds better than solid state. Some things are better, some not, you make design choices. I have a Liquid Carbon, balanced, very nice sounding. I also have a MicroZOTL2, single ended more expensive), sounds much better.
My $0.02.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,562 of 1,969
Thank you for the great info. Not sure if I want to spend too much but hopefully I can find a reasonable priced cable to give it a try. :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,564 of 1,969
$90US
https://www.surfcables.com/products/iem-cables

Ok you persuaded me LOL. Purchased!
To follow: Listening impressions. 
Thanks everyone, it is great that we can help each other empty our wallets :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,565 of 1,969
I'd disagree a bit that balanced ALWAYS sounds better than solid state. Implementation, implementation implementation! 

Wasn't saying balanced is always better comparing different components. Saying Pono single ended vs Pono balanced, balanced usually wins. Unless there is a low impedance problem.

I have tube VTL and Pass amps at home. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,566 of 1,969
I recently bought an Aune M1s.  I bought it because (at least by the specs) it had simliar features as the Pono (which I have).  Dual sabre chips in it, balanced output, supposedly very basic UI for sound reasons, no bluetooth or wifi or any doodads like that.  The Aune M1s has been getting some very high praise with comments such as 'sounds better than DAPs costing much more'.  I can say, without a doubt, that the Pono sounds much much better.  The Pono sounds alive and organic.  The M1s does not.  It's mostly in the bass regions where the Pono sounds...real.  Forget about the balanced mode, Pono kicks the Aune's ass.
Another thing, Pono's line out sounds amazing in comparison as well.  Real life, like vinyl.  The Aune sounds compressed and mechanical (not like "real" music).  Just goes to show you that even with good parts and innovation, it's hard to compete with what Ayre came up with with the Pono.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,567 of 1,969
Balanced is great for two things in my eyes (having used a PONO with HD598s and HD700s.  

a)  If your headphones are already kickin' it in Single-Ended, Balanced will make everything that much richer, lower in noise, and just more expansive (sound-stage, audio dynamic range (NOT recording DR), etc.,)

b) if you have high impedance headphones with a reasonably low VRMS (ie: HD700s, HD800s), going to a Balanced cable can help reduce the stuffiness of the sound.  That being said, my HD700s are *FAR* from stuffy and the PONO without any external help, is PLENTY capable of driving Single-Ended HD700s to deafening levels.  I'm going balanced in the near future in order to get even more out of my PONO, but the PONO's power delivery is FANTASTIC.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,568 of 1,969
Looking forward to my new balanced cables! All this sounds great, and it is always nice to try something new. And in this case not too expensive!
L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,569 of 1,969
  Looking forward to my new balanced cables! All this sounds great, and it is always nice to try something new. And in this case not too expensive!
L3000.gif

What are you hooking them up to?  HD800s?  SE846s?

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #1,571 of 1,969
So I checked the impedance on the SE846, and per Shures specs it is 9 Ohms. So these do not meet the recommended 8 times impedance calculation mentioned previously. Not sure (no Pun intended) if this is considered a hard fast rule, but the Shure are low impedance anyway you cut it.
So my ears will get to decide, hopefully a positive one.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,572 of 1,969
  So I checked the impedance on the SE846, and per Shures specs it is 9 Ohms. So these do not meet the recommended 8 times impedance calculation mentioned previously. Not sure (no Pun intended) if this is considered a hard fast rule, but the Shure are low impedance anyway you cut it.
So my ears will get to decide, hopefully a positive one.

There may be so little impedance they will overdrive.  The PONO has something like 3 to 5 ohms of impedance, so not only with 9 ohms is the 846 on the low-end, but balancing the 846s may result in an unusably loud experience.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,573 of 1,969
So I just got my new balanced cables from Surf cable. Was a little worried they may not match well with my Shure SE 846, but upon first listen I am pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. They sound fuller and very balanced with the new cables. The only thing I am worried about is the cable durability. They are very fine compare to the stock Shure cables. Any recommendations for when I want to upgrade my balanced cables in the future?

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,574 of 1,969
So I just got my new balanced cables from Surf cable. Was a little worried they may not match well with my Shure SE 846, but upon first listen I am pleasantly surprised with the sound quality. They sound fuller and very balanced with the new cables. The only thing I am worried about is the cable durability. They are very fine compare to the stock Shure cables. Any recommendations for when I want to upgrade my balanced cables in the future?

I've been using Surf Cables on both my Senn 600's and my HiFiMan 400i for around 2 years with no problems. I would guess that Surf would fix and/or replace any cable that failed. As for replacements, you could look to Cardas Cables ( http://cardas.com/pono_accessories.php ) whose price will start around $300+US.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,575 of 1,969
https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/pono-balanced-mmcx-multi-braid-cable

I've been using these for my Westone W40 (and my JVC FX850 works as well, but I don't use them as much), I think it sounds really good (but haven't gotten to listen and compare to other cables).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back