The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,951 of 1,969
To anyone reading this thread: I have two Pono players — my yellow KS and a silver FF I found on EBay. My KS now refuses to boot past the Ayre screen and the FF has a corrupted Nirvana file that locks up the boot process. I have opened both up and installed fresh batteries. Does anyone have a handle on possible repair strategies?

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,952 of 1,969
Pulled mine out of the cupboard for a trip down memory lane....

What are software people using to load music these days?

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,954 of 1,969
I also use JRiver, but you can just drag/drop with the Pono when it's connected, if I remember correctly (have 2 Ponos, but haven't used them in a while-Dethoneray Prelude, which also only plays music on a SD card, is my current go-to. But I've pulled out the Ponos as back up here and there).

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #1,956 of 1,969
I have four Pono players; three function; one is for parts. I load files onto a micro sd card. It may be placebo, but I still prefer the files purchased from Pono or HDTracks to MP3 files.
I still have 2 players - both I have given up using internal memory for files as it’s just too slow to transfer - they are both connected via line out to headphone amps and - burson soloist and Xduoo tA-20 and despite many coming and goings of other dap or dac sources still think these old units have a great sound
Running as a dap balanced and non balanced it does not hold the same to many of the other DAPs I have - I still prefer my old calyx m , ar-m2, ak240 but for some reason line out seems to be its strength
Changed out a battery on a third player I picked up for a friend that was dead and would not charge or start up - and that was simple enough - found a protected battery and just soldered the wires for the plug end away it went
In my view stills sounds good compared to many modern players - but obviously no wireless capability and modern dac chips - plenty coming up for sale so getting one for spares or to play around with is still worth it - do find hi res files do seem to be more pleasurable some of time - but I have done plenty of back and forth hi res to mp3 tracks for same song and for many I could not tell the difference

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #1,957 of 1,969
My Dethonray Prelude isn't functioning well (I may send it for repair one of these days, but I've had bad experiences before sending gear to China for repair), so I'm back to using my Pono, and like it very much (I have 2, but the sd card in one seems to have corrupted, so I'm using the other every day).

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #1,958 of 1,969
I still use my Pono, including some wonderful files from @doctorjazz (thank you, again, after 4 years).

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,959 of 1,969
I still use my Pono, including some wonderful files from @doctorjazz (thank you, again, after 4 years).
Hi, Ruth is and John, long tone no "see". Don't hang out here much these days (actually spend most time listening to speakers, glad you enjoy them (listen to my Pono every night, though, fall asleep using it).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #1,960 of 1,969
*hi, Ruthieandjohn, long time no "see"...shudda read...

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,961 of 1,969
@doctorjazz , great to get your note. Just bought one of the first LoTOO Mjolnir all-in-ones, which makes your music and my Grados sound Fabulous!

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,962 of 1,969
@doctorjazz , great to get your note. Just bought one of the first LoTOO Mjolnir all-in-ones, which makes your music and my Grados sound Fabulous!
Wow!that looks amazing! Still using my modded MicroZOTL2 and the headphone output on my living room stereo (Peachtree Audio GrandPre). Probably not headphone Summit Fi, but works for me (the LooToo looks like it's built like a tank!)

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,963 of 1,969
Just curious, is it still possible to get balanced iem cables for Pono? (I searched the old places, Surf Cables, a few others, seems they no longer sell them. Not shocking, but I'd get some if they were available...)

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,965 of 1,969
I have a number of iem's, basically it comes down to the snap in or 2 pin connectors usually. I'll try them (custom build sounds expensive, though...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back