The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,938 of 1,969
My battery showed up today. Swapped it out and let it charge up. Already lasted longer than the original one was lasting. Hopefully I can keep getting these every few years until the player itself give out.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #1,939 of 1,969
That would be an excellent question to ask them.
So when I finally opened my Pono up to replace the battery, I noticed neither my original battery nor the replacement have the small circuit board visible as is shown in this guide:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Pono+Player+Battery+Replacement/136314

I assume they changed it at some point, and perhaps the board is buried inside the battery enclosure? I guess I'll still ask SurfCables if they want to have people return their old batteries to see if there are any electronics that could be reused to make new drop-in replacements from off the shelf batteries going forward.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,941 of 1,969
Is anyone out there using the Pono player as a source for your home audio system? If so, how are you handling the power/battery? Do you leave it plugged into the Pono charger all the time or are you charging it then running the battery down then recharging?

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,942 of 1,969
Is anyone out there using the Pono player as a source for your home audio system? If so, how are you handling the power/battery? Do you leave it plugged into the Pono charger all the time or are you charging it then running the battery down then recharging?
I leave it unplugged until use. I plug it in when in use. Then I make sure there is plenty of charge and shut it down completely when finished listening. Been doing this for a couple of years and so far the battery holds a full charge and is behaving itself. I think the key thing to do is to shut it off, not leave it on sleep mode.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,943 of 1,969
I leave it unplugged until use. I plug it in when in use. Then I make sure there is plenty of charge and shut it down completely when finished listening. Been doing this for a couple of years and so far the battery holds a full charge and is behaving itself. I think the key thing to do is to shut it off, not leave it on sleep mode.
I have a similar strategy. My primary audio sources are my turntable and Pono. When listening, Pono runs off battery, and once I have finished listening I plug it into the charger until it is fully charged... then unplug the charger. I also make sure it is always shutdown.

I thought I would try an experiment. It's been a couple of months since I listened to Pono but I when I powered on the battery was still ~50% and I got 2.5 hours of continuous listening before the battery died.

I then fully charged up and then got an incredible 6 hours of non-stop playing! I hadn't realised it was still that good... and although I do have a replacement SurfCables battery, I guess I won't need it for a while!

Although vinyl is typically my first listening choice, every time I listen to Pono I am always pleasantly surprised how good it sounds :)

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,945 of 1,969
Jan 3, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,946 of 1,969
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,949 of 1,969
If anyone's like me and wants to take advantage of the Pono's stellar DAC, but also likes to EQ the sound to their taste, an awesome solution is the Monoprice Monolith portable amp/DAC. If using a line-out from the Pono into the line-in on the Monolith it will bypass the Monolith DAC and only use the amp. The unit has a decent set of PEQ options so you can tailor the sound to your liking. Yes, it's another unit to lug around and I wouldn't call it portable as much as transportable....but the Pono itself isn't exactly prime for pocketing. I've found it takes the Pono sound to another level.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #1,950 of 1,969
If anyone's like me and wants to take advantage of the Pono's stellar DAC, but also likes to EQ the sound to their taste, an awesome solution is the Monoprice Monolith portable amp/DAC. If using a line-out from the Pono into the line-in on the Monolith it will bypass the Monolith DAC and only use the amp. The unit has a decent set of PEQ options so you can tailor the sound to your liking. Yes, it's another unit to lug around and I wouldn't call it portable as much as transportable....but the Pono itself isn't exactly prime for pocketing. I've found it takes the Pono sound to another level.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460
For pure portability, the Pono, balanced to my Amiron Home headphones is difficult to beat for me. Maybe the Poly/Mojo with the RS1x…
For at home, I sprung for an Ayre Codex to get the Pono magic with a unit that has USB input. It works great with Roon and there I can tweak EQ digitally how I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back