The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,488 of 1,969
So, I posted a while ago that the internal memory of the Pono was not working. I can't erase or add music to it. The SD card works fine. I had gone to the Pono site and sent a message to the Help section, must be 2 weeks or so now. Never heard anything back. While I've always been a big Pono fan and plugger, this is souring me on it...

This happened to me on both of my Pono players (one of which was almost never used).  If you are out of warranty, get used to the reduced capacity or throw it away and buy a new one (on sale). The price they want to repair isn't very good compared to some of the discount prices on new ones.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #1,489 of 1,969
So, I posted a while ago that the internal memory of the Pono was not working. I can't erase or add music to it. The SD card works fine. I had gone to the Pono site and sent a message to the Help section, must be 2 weeks or so now. Never heard anything back. While I've always been a big Pono fan and plugger, this is souring me on it...

This happened to me on both of my Pono players (one of which was almost never used).  If you are out of warranty, get used to the reduced capacity or throw it away and buy a new one (on sale). The price they want to repair isn't very good compared to some of the discount prices on new ones.

Yeah, I can manage with the SD card, annoying though. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement. Eventually I did hear from Pono, a message that since I didn't get back to their reply (which I never received), they were closing my case. I tried to reopen it, but it is silly, since I'm out of warrantee and, as you said, the repair will cost close to buying a new one.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,496 of 1,969

Yeah, I can manage with the SD card, annoying though.

A 256gb card will work fine and give you plenty of memory. I use 200gb cards with no problems. The internal memory is so slow it is almost worthless anyway.

Great to know.

Mine is fine but I thought I'd add that the Fiio players don't even have any internal memory (at least the ones I know of)
So I wouldn't toss the Pono if only the internal memory is defected.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,497 of 1,969
It is fine otherwise, annoying but not a fatal flaw.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,498 of 1,969
Interesting news leaking out .... Apple bought parts of bankrupt Omnifone (the former store partner of Pono), which may be why Neil's catalog is now available on Apple Music after he withheld from them last year.

No word on how this affects the new pono store, but it does cast more doubt on it's eventual unveiling.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,499 of 1,969
Interesting news leaking out .... Apple bought parts of bankrupt Omnifone (the former store partner of Pono), which may be why Neil's catalog is now available on Apple Music after he withheld from them last year.

No word on how this affects the new pono store, but it does cast more doubt on it's eventual unveiling.

Perhaps Apple will reopen the store!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back