The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,471 of 1,969
Why do you assume that you'll only get two years on a new one? Stuff like this unfortunately happens with all electronics.

I'd recommend getting an external battery pack. They tend to be quite inexpensive, especially on 'Black Friday', etc.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,473 of 1,969
I haven't seen many, if any other PonoPlayers have a charging chip go out. There are thousands of Kickstarter owners that play the hell out of the Pono, and it keeps working. You just had bad luck. It happens.

The bad connections aren't the Pono's fault. Buying any player, even a $2500 Astell & Kern wouldn't make a difference. All players use a 2.5mm or 3.5mm connection system. If you are unlucky and break one off inside a Pono, it would have been the same outcome with any other player. Running a Smart car or a Ferrari into a wall at 100KPH destroys both. Whatever you get will require greater care or it will be broken. My KS Pono is as old as yours and is in fine shape.

What country do you live in?

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,476 of 1,969
@BrutalLegend, if you don't feel skilled enough to fix it, are there repairmen in Malaysia that would take the job? Do you know anyone in the US that could buy and send you the a Pono Player? Trying to come up with ideas.

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,482 of 1,969
I have been a PONO enthusiast since the beginning, being one of the original KickStarter backers. As a result I am the proud owner of a CSNY LE signature player. I also have a FIIO X11 which I bought for my wife as they support the same formats. I primarily play FLAC files but do have a handful of DSD. I prefer FLAC as I find the sound to be a little softer on the DSDs.

I am very happy with my PONO Player. Yeah it is oddly shaped, and I would like to see a PONO II come out that is more mainstream, physically speaking only if they don't cheapen the output in the process.

What sets the PONO apart from the FIIO and others is its support of balanced cables, independent left and right channels. Trust me, the difference is very noticeable. But the FIIO is a fine player in its own right.

As I noted in my initial thread as a new member two weeks ago, I primarily wear Cardas A8 ear speakers / IEMs with the PONO. And to complete this setup, I picked up a set of Uvero custom fitted earpieces for tips. I do sometimes wear a set of BOSE QC25s. But when I do, I miss the balanced mode.

Long story short, I love my PONO :thumbsup:

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,483 of 1,969
So, I posted a while ago that the internal memory of the Pono was not working. I can't erase or add music to it. The SD card works fine. I had gone to the Pono site and sent a message to the Help section, must be 2 weeks or so now. Never heard anything back. While I've always been a big Pono fan and plugger, this is souring me on it...

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #1,484 of 1,969
@doctorjazz If you have an unanswered support case with PONO, I would recommend you log into PONO and send an IM to Phil Baker of PONO, explaining your situation to him directly. Also post a note in The Community. There are a number of fellow users that might be able to help, as they may have experienced the issue themselves. Or at last the Communty Moderators could escalate your issue with support.

I know PONO is working hard to get the store back online, but I would still expect me hem the other to answer support calls. They have always been very responsive to me. And I have gone to them plenty.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,485 of 1,969
Maybe your experience with the Support has been good, but so far (tried them once a while back), mine has been non existent.
But, I'll try your suggestions. Thankfully my Pono is still functional (and great sounding) despite the problems with the main memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back