The Perfect Push-Up
Jul 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
I can do push-ups all day long. I got one of these at Wally World and holy cow does it really work muscles.

There's burn on my OUTER chest, as well as soreness in my traps and upper outer shoulder (by outer collarbone) which I don't get soreness when doing JUST push-ups. I substituted push-ups with these and got sore. I've noticed there's more pressure or strain in my shoulder joint than there normally is. Even compared to bench pressing or just normal push-ups. Probably an indicator that certain muscles in my shoulder weren't getting worked properly.

I didn't really do any research on it, but figured I'd give it a shot. Turns out there's a couple people that swear by it, and it REALLY develops muscle STRENGTH. There's a guy on another forum I'm on, turns out he was able to up his max bench press weight by 15 lbs in ONE week.

So I've integrated it into my workout regimen and seeing how it does for me in the long run. I'm anxious to see how it fares in the long run since normal push-up bore the crap out of me. Some of the drills in the box are BRUTAL. The 2 minute drill is intense, even if your max is 10 push-ups with those. Because you do 8 push-ups, rest, 6 push-ups, rest, 4 push-ups, rest then 2 push-ups and done, all within 2 minutes. I can literally do ~45 pushups in a minute, all in correct form, and that little rep of just 8,6,4,2 was pretty intense comparatively. I felt like I did all 45. Working different muscles doing the same task did a little number on me, lol.

I recommend everybody give it a try. It'll put you in your place if you think push-ups are cake. Well, at the very least, raise a brow and make you second guess your abilities, even if for only a second, lol. It's $20 at walmart for the basic which has just a very basic scheduler on it, or the deluxe version that has the drills DVD and additional stuff. I just got the basic and there's an offer in there to get the DVD and other stuff for free if you just pay $5 in shipping. Or you can buy the generic store versions for like $5 less. You may as well get the name brand one, lol.A

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 41
From what I've read in most workout forums, it's really not needed. Oicdn, do you just do regular push-ups? (arms shoulder width, elbows pointing toward feet, chest to floor)There are numerous variations, some much harder than others. The PDFs I sent show a bunch of bodyweight exercises that can be augmented with household items, i.e. chairs, tables. And if you can do 45 push-ups in a minute, you realize you're really working muscle endurance over max strength? You should be adding weight so that you can do only five or so per set. I've been elevating my feet on a chair and doing them on my knuckles, going as low as I can.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 41
[size=large] The Perfect Push-Up[/size]

scarlettjohanssoncleavaow2.jpg

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 41
lol.

As far as the push-ups go, I do the 3 typical variations, close, regular and wide. Pick your poison, I can pretty much do 45 in all of them. But yeah, I realize I'm going more for stamina than bulking up, but it was for illustrative purposes. Within the next couple of days, I'm going to buy a weighted vest, and wear it while I do push-ups. 20lbs should be more than an adequate weight.

I've mainly been doing push-ups as a rest day exercise. Something to do I guess. I've noticed I've hit a plateau...and am not gaining anything. So I've started taking whey protein in 56g servings and am going to increase my intensity. I want to see where I get from here. I still look the same as the pics in the other thread, except, I'm obviously stronger...I just can't seem to BULK up. It's annoying, and frankly, discouraging.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 41
I've been using these for a while now and it really does require alot more effort than the regular pushup bars I've been using before. Seems to work the forearms better too.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol.

As far as the push-ups go, I do the 3 typical variations, close, regular and wide. Pick your poison, I can pretty much do 45 in all of them. But yeah, I realize I'm going more for stamina than bulking up, but it was for illustrative purposes. Within the next couple of days, I'm going to buy a weighted vest, and wear it while I do push-ups. 20lbs should be more than an adequate weight..

Before buying a weighted vest, considering doing the harder variations. Elevate your feet at incline, keeping your back straight and your upper-body over your arms. (The higher your legs, the more weight you pout over your upper-body) And as always, elbows pointing downward (not flaring to the sides). You can make it even harder my putting each of your hands on a chair (with feet elevated) to increase the range of motion. You're a break dancer correct? Then you should be able to work your way to handstand push ups pretty quickly. You're entire body will be over your arms. Oh, and don't forget the one-arm push-up. (A proper one should look like a regular push-up, but with just one arm... no twisting and floor-humping)

If you do the different variations (and eventually adding weight), you'll never need something like the perfect push-up. There are respectable folks who say it's crap, since it does what you can pretty much already do, naked.

Quote:

I still look the same as the pics in the other thread, except, I'm obviously stronger...I just can't seem to BULK up. It's annoying, and frankly, discouraging.

There are studies that show you most people can only gain and ounce of pure muscle per day, I'm sure it varies from person to person, but you shouldn't become discouraged. I've been working out for close to a year, and I've only put on approx. 15 pounds of muscle. (I'm not hardcore, nor genetically inclined) It takes years to get super cut and toned, unless you exercise like a bodybuilder (which I don't recommend) and/or use steroids.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 41
Quit doing push-ups and hit some heavy iron for 6 to 8 reps if you want SIZE. Incline bench press with dumbbells is my main lift.

When you can heave 60,70,80 lb. dumbbells then you shouldn't have the urge to do push-ups.

...how about strict chin-ups (pronated grip/aka pull-up)?

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 41
Push-ups are actually great exercises when integrated into a diverse/effective routine. He's mainly doing them on his rest/back off days, so I don't see an issue.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 41
Here is a nice 7-minute pushup workout I'd recommend as a start to your routine, works beautifully for me. First, as a rule, all pushups are done on knuckles.

Just get into the push-up position, body completely straight. Hold this position for 5 minutes. Do 2 pushups but make them last 30 seconds on the way down, 30 seconds on the way up. Now go down to elbows at 45 degrees and hold for 30 seconds, all the way down, back up to 45 degrees for 30 seconds and all the way up. If you don't think it's the hardest 3 pushups you've ever done, you're either extremely fit or are cheating.
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 41
I do hit the gym...and pretty hard for an hour. I do 6 reps. No incline bench though...I'm making do with what I have atm.

I can go from sitting on my butt, to getting into a handstand from pure core strength. But I still for whatever reason can't do handstand push-ups. I can bench my weight, but not do handstand push ups. Different muscles apparently.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 41
Do incline push-ups, they'll help you progress to handstand push-ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back