The Perfect Headphone Amp - does it Exist ?
Sep 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

maddog07

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]what would be your perfect headphone amp if you could design one from the ground up? [/size]

[size=10pt]I am relatively new to the world of headphone listening, but a long time avid audiofool.  Having recently inherited an iPod classic from my daughter, I find myself listening to music more and more from my office at work than I ever have time to in the man-cave to my dedicated 2-ch stereo "big rig".  The convenience of being able to carry around 1,000's of songs in lossless format in a device this small is simply undeniable.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Recently my audiophile nervosa kicked in on the iPod/headphone subject.  So, I bought a few(3) headphone amps, couple different pairs of headphones and a [/size][size=10pt]LOD [/size][size=10pt]to see if I could ratchet up the iPod listening experience a few notches.  Every step I’ve taken has advanced the SQ of the iPod listening experience notably.  So now I’m wondering just how far can this go – theoretically?  And it seems I’m running up against a wall a bit, at least in terms of “functionality”……  read on…..[/size]

[size=10pt]I have been studying this forum quite a bit lately.  There seems to be one universal quest that is ever present here.  Everybody, well almost everybody – a significant majority - are always looking for the cans or the amp that will give them more bass, punchier bass, etc. etc.  Rolling tubes to tailor the sound to their liking etc.  It seems almost ironic to me, that none of the headphone amps out there address this universal need – the ability to tailor the sound to your liking – or even for each song you listen to![/size]

[size=10pt]As I’ve been studying the numerous head amps that seem to be popular on this forum, I find several things sorely lacking in all their designs.  Can somebody tell my why:[/size]

• [size=10pt]Doesn’t a headphone amp have a L/R balance control?  Nobody past the age of 25 has perfectly balanced hearing in both their ears… and I suspect many younger than 25 as well
    smile_phones.gif
    [/size]
  • [size=10pt]Everybody wants more bass – so where are the tone controls, the EQ, etc.?  Not every source you may want to connect to a headphone amp has a built in EQ like an iPod [/size][size=10pt]ß[/size][size=10pt]which, BTW, over does it almost universally [/size][size=10pt]IMO[/size][size=10pt].  [/size]
  • [size=10pt]Some amps have different gain settings for various sensitivity and impedance headphones – a good idea and very useful if want useful range of the volume control  - so why don’t they all have this?[/size]
  • [size=10pt]A crossfader circuit… of which I have not yet heard, as the 3 amps I have right now trying out do not have this feature, so I can’t comment on its usefulness or desirability, but if it makes headphone listening more like listening to speakers instead of “sound inside my head” – then in my opinion that would be a good thing too!
    L3000.gif
    [/size]

[size=10pt]Let the comments and feedback begin!  [/size]

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Everything you posted does something to modify the sound.  Many strive to have an amp that is just gain.  Added complexity increases the chance of introducing something unwanted.
But to break it down.
1. Balance controls add another noisey attenuator to the circuit, and really very few people have a need for it particularly in headphones.  Balance controls was used to fix room issues not peoples hearing.
2.EQ does not belong in a proper amp.  This should be done at the source.
3.Gain settings this one does make a little since however the issue is doing this without introducing noise and in some case instability in the circuit depending on the amp design.  Remember this is basically adding the ability to switch the feedback loop.
4. Again this is an item that does not belong in the amp.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 18
[size=10pt]So now I’m wondering just how far can this go – theoretically?[/size]

[size=10pt]Do your research, hit the hip and be happy.  The alternative, do your research, hit the hip and go crazy.[/size]

[size=10pt]Free choice, free will as to which path you'll fiscally choose to walk.[/size]

[size=10pt]As to a number, somewhere between a thousand and two thousand dollars should get you there as to a quality portable system.  How you wish to trim that number back will be your limiter.[/size]

[size=10pt]It's all about a set of high quality IEM's, your basic transport (stored files ripped at the highest bit-rate) and a high end portable DAC/Amp combo.  Buy right or buy thrice.[/size]

[size=10pt]Hope the above helps.[/size]

[size=10pt]
L3000.gif
[/size]

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
  • [size=10pt]Doesn’t a headphone amp have a L/R balance control?  Nobody past the age of 25 has perfectly balanced hearing in both their ears… and I suspect many younger than 25 as well
    smile_phones.gif
    [/size]
  • [size=10pt]Everybody wants more bass – so where are the tone controls, the EQ, etc.?  Not every source you may want to connect to a headphone amp has a built in EQ like an iPod [/size][size=10pt]ß[/size][size=10pt]which, BTW, over does it almost universally [/size][size=10pt]IMO[/size][size=10pt].  [/size]
  • [size=10pt]Some amps have different gain settings for various sensitivity and impedance headphones – a good idea and very useful if want useful range of the volume control  - so why don’t they all have this?[/size]
  • [size=10pt]A crossfader circuit… of which I have not yet heard, as the 3 amps I have right now trying out do not have this feature, so I can’t comment on its usefulness or desirability, but if it makes headphone listening more like listening to speakers instead of “sound inside my head” – then in my opinion that would be a good thing too!
    L3000.gif
    [/size]

[size=10pt]Let the comments and feedback begin!  [/size]

1. What you say is very true that none of us has perfectly balanced hearing but generally the imbalance is at particular pitches so using a crude change in gain for the whole channel will not resolve this and I think just make things worse. Balancing left and right channels was never about accounting for imbalance across the ears historically but correcting imbalance in recordings.

2. I don't want more bass. I don't want "warmth" either. Just hearing what is on the CD or computer file is fine for me.

3. Some amps do have this but if the amp has a good range of power then generally the volume control will offer a fine range for the vast majority of headphones.

4. I 100% agree with you on the cross-feed. I am a recent convert to cross-feed and I think it should be automatically included. I have it for the first time on my Meier-Audio StageDAC and I could not live without it. I use it all the time now. I have not heard any other cross-feed apart from this one so I cannot comment on the other implementations, but the Meier-Audio one has converted me.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 18
Perfect is subjective: There are amps with tone controls, but some people will see this as something else adding distortion and bulk. There are minimalist amps, but some people have money to burn and are willing to pay for a high-end DAP such as the Hifiman.  Some people like portable amps where you can "roll" the OPAMPs to get a bit of a different flavour too. That's why we have such variety.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 18
I guess the "best sounding" headphone amp lies in the guts of a serious mid to high-end integrated amp.

Good hefty power supplies are the best supporters for any audio signal, anyway.

Now, when it comes to portable setups we'll be always concerned about efficiencies, sealing pads, silicone inserts, outside noise.. speaking of which, there's always some bleeding in and you'll want to turn the vol up to overcome this... which, of course, leads to fatigue and to hearing problems.(if not headaches on a bad day)
Bringing such a setup along with you all day while trying not to be run over by cars, bikes... not get smuggled... pay attention not to run into people while keeping the best 'phone/ear seal not to lose the bass...
I wouldn't call this a neat lifestyle.
Sometimes a simple pair of earplugs is enough to keep me focused and my ears relaxed so as soon as i get back home i can enjoy jimi hendrix to saxophone players without killing anyone.

Just my opinon, though.
Cheers

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 18

thanks for all the replies so far...  I have been down the purist path with 2-ch systems in a dedicated room - more than once - passive preamp, single ended amps, built my own...etc. etc. etc.  But ultimately this is about the "music" and being able to enjoy the music.  And in this case, via headphones.  So whatever components help achieve this goal is the objective here.  And lest we not forget - "hearing is a perception"... and an individual one at that! 

Controls/adjustments to doctor up a poor mix or poor production of good music is what I need.  I don't only listen to purist recordings, direct to disc, recorded with Neumann tube Cardioid mic's, etc.  I want to be able to enjoy the not so great recordings of really good music too.  It really doesn't matter what a given designer originally intended a balance control to be used for, whether it to be to correct a room problem, a mix problem or a hearing imbalance problem... it fixes "the problem" is the point.  Tone controls and/or EQ implemented correctly are quite effective too and they don't have to be subtractive or degrading to the sound - ever heard recorded music reproduced in a room that has had digital room acoustics correction properly applied?  Closest to "recreation" of the original event I have ever heard - as opposed to mere "reproduction"!
smile.gif
  Again... this is "perception" - everyone hears and processes sound differently.

I'm not looking to debate engineering philosophies about what does or does not belong in the signal path, nor the effects of switches, relays, resistors, capacitors on the signal - of course they have an effect!  And in this case, I'm hoping for a postive affect!  I'm just wondering if there are other like-minded folks out there who may have already been down this path with similar goals in mind and who would like to share their journey and find out where they ended up.  I have faith there's something out there already built that would meet my requirements... there simply has to be!
L3000.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 18
The perfect headphone amplifier does not exist, but you may find one that's perfect for you 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 18
I'm just wondering if there are other like-minded folks out there who may have already been down this path with similar goals in mind and who would like to share their journey and find out where they ended up.  I have faith there's something out there already built that would meet my requirements... there simply has to be!
L3000.gif

My first recommendation is, "buy" a ripper program such as dBpoweramp and rip your files in the highest quality possible.  Garbage in, garbage out and all the expensive gear in the world won't fix a lousy rip.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 18
Equally a fantastic encode can't save a poor recording. I can't count the number of times I've ripped something in lossless and somehow expected it to fix a problem that was present on a 192kbps encode only to find that the flaw is still present and exactly the same. Arguably my prefered genres (Japanese pop/rock, anyone?) don't have the best track record in terms of recordings, but I do find that I get to a point where I can no longer blame my equipment.

To the OP: which amps have you tried? Myself, I'm not usually looking for more bass or punchier bass, just the most detailed, natural sounding presentation possible. Normally that's up to the innards of the amp, not the switches on the front of it.

Quote:
My first recommendation is, "buy" a ripper program such as dBpoweramp and rip your files in the highest quality possible.  Garbage in, garbage out and all the expensive gear in the world won't fix a lousy rip.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 18
I doesn't. If it was, it will upset the manufacturers and especially audiophiles, who would be left with nothing to look for on their next upgrade
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 18
There are no universally "perfect" amps, but there will be one for each individual. Sometimes more than one.

If an amp has plenty of power, no glaring faults, and is built well, I'm happy with it. It's more of a matter of letting go of the search for little differences between gear and just enjoying the music.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 18
JoetheArachnid wrote:

Equally a fantastic encode can't save a poor recording.

Not sure your need to split hairs between a library consisting of low quality rips vs a library consisting of high quality rips.  This as opposed to the down side of poorly recorded CD's or a damaged disc.  I see encouraging folks to rip high quality in the same light as recommending one have a regular HDD back-up plan; just plain good advice that has lots of dividends that few encourage and even fewer effect.

redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back