The Perfect Can
Oct 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 31
X2 for the thunderpants and LCD-2, Ortho mids really can't be beat... unless you listen to N3rdlings Omegas. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
But you can't really buy 'Thunderpants', you have to modify them yourself, right? :-S

No, Smeggy makes them. It's just an option to DIY them. I'm not too sure of his work load but if you're interested you may want to contact him. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 31
Well... if you like the sound of the D5000, but hate the overpowering bass, look to the D7000.
Very refined version of the D5k, with better mids, crystal-clear highs and controlled (but punchy) bass. It can be had for well under $1k.

shane

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 31
As far as components and synergy go, it is an incredibly hard process to upgrade the whole chain. After a long couple months of purchasing and selling and more selling and purchasing, I finally arrived at a setup I like. Realistically, I am really enjoying my setup right now - as someone said before in this thread, There is No Perfect, Never. However, right now I have the urge to upgrade and usually the easiest component to upgrade are cans and they usually bring about the largest change as well. So, in my quest of bettering my system - Not Making it Perfect - Simply bettering it.

Right now I am using a

DacMagic to a PS Audio GCHA as my main system
Compass as my spare system (but I rarely use the compass for reference listening)

The GCHA has very good synergy with the RS1's and D5000 but its just that both cans are lacking that wholesome quality, "the one can to do it all quality"

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 31
I've been looking at the D7000's and often times i have heard that they are a step up over the D5000's but I have differing opinions on how much. My D5000's have the full Markyl mod and I fear the improvement may not be enough to warrant the extra dollars

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 31
A MarkL MD5000 is actually superior to a stock D7000. Unless you plan on getting the MarkL mod for the d7000 you may want to go a different route. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
I've been looking at the D7000's and often times i have heard that they are a step up over the D5000's but I have differing opinions on how much. My D5000's have the full Markyl mod and I fear the improvement may not be enough to warrant the extra dollars

OK, this is pure personal taste, but the MarkL mod did not appeal to me. I had the LA2000 Lite (same as the MD5000 but with premium oak cups), and I actually thought the stock D5000 were superior, well, except for the exaggerated bass. I also feel that the D7k is a big step up from the D5k, making it a huge step up from the MD5000. But again, that's just a taste issue.
So, to sum, for my $$ LA2000 (MD5000) < D5000 < D7000.

BTW... You've got PM.

shane

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
A MarkL MD5000 is actually superior to a stock D7000. Unless you plan on getting the MarkL mod for the d7000 you may want to go a different route. 

Not to my ears. 'Superior' is an opinion that, in this instance, I do not share. The mod did something to the sound which made it very 'cupped-handed' or tubey. It elevated certain frequencies which I found not only un-natural, but also quite annoying.

shane

EDIT: To clarify just a bit. To my ears the D7k is the more 'natural' sounding of the three I discussed above. All instruments sound more like they do to me in person with the D7k than with the other two. The MarkL mod certainly reduced the bass of the D5k, and that is a great thing. But it also, as I said, did some sonic oddities that (again, to my ears) were just not 'right'.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Not to my ears. "Superior" is an opinion that, in this instance, I do not share. The mod did something to the sound which made it very 'cupped-handed' or tubey. It elevated certain frequencies which I found not only un-natural, but also quite annoying.

shane

Thats probably more of your sound signature preference, but I believe it's the general Consensus that the MD5000 is superior to a stock D7000. I think especially when you add Jmoney pads into the mix. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
Thats probably more of your sound signature preference, but I believe it's the general Consensus that the MD5000 is superior to a stock D7000. I think especially when you add Jmoney pads into the mix. 

Without a doubt. (See EDIT above)

I always wanted to try the J$... but couldn't get them during the periods I had the D5k and LA2000 Lite.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 31
backtofront001 wrote:

As far as components and synergy go, it is an incredibly hard process to upgrade the whole chain. After a long couple months of purchasing and selling and more selling and purchasing, I finally arrived at a setup I like.

If one is happy, then they don't change it.  You titled the thread "The Perfect Can."  Sans a match in the Amp, you won't get the best out of this can and it will be less than perfect.  Looking to your equipment list, you would be well served by upgrading the Amp.

You wrote:

I really want some cans that have a really meaty midrange and a punchy bass. Does that even exist?

An oft overlooked solution isn't always found in replacing and/or upgrading the headphones, but instead, the solution is found in upgrading the Amp.  And yes, as I write, I'm also aware that it's not a solution many are want to read.

Before I originally responded, I took a moment to look at your equipment list and your posted choice of headphone Amp was a PS Audio GCHA; not knocking it.  Considering the level of headphones you wrote you were considering, hence my suggestion.  Yes, I realize it's all about the availability of monies, time and willingness to put forth additional effort but sometimes, my opinion, the Amp needs to come before the headphone.  If you can, try some higher end Amps with the headphones you currently have.  And yes, I realize that even auditioning Amps isn't always a viable suggestion.

FWIW, my system is as good as it's going get because I retire in three weeks and with retirement, goes all that glorious disposable income.  The point, it also never hurts to be happy with what cha got.

redface.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #30 of 31
I can only write what the best was that I found for a HD-650, which was a Burson HA-160.  I coupled this with an April Music Stello DA100 Signature.  For me, the sound quality, once the gear has had a chance to warm up for about a half hour, is very, clean, dynamic and compelling to listen to.  Also, I might add that I tested my ears and EQ'd the sound to match my ears, based upon the results of the hearing test.

My opinion, testing and EQ'g sound to match a hearing test, especially if older ears and if you're wanting the best out of your gear is a necessity, not a luxury.

Personally, and I'm writing from a certain level of ignorance, I think if you have a half-way decent or better, reference grade Amp and DAC, allow the gear to properly warm up, use quality rips (WAV, 1.41Mbps), recable with decent custom cables, EQ the sound quality to tested hearing deficits, "ANY" set of cans worth a Tinker's Damn will show you their best.

^Beeman, lets say I go the amp route and upgrade cans later. You already know my equipment and my sonic preference, what amp would you recommend?

In direct response to your question, I can confidently recommend a used or new Burson HA-160.  Personally, considering how much effort you've already put into the cans you already have, your modded D5000's, dialed in the way I described, there's no reason you won't get out of what you have, what you want.

FWIW, a fallacy that needs to be crushed, destroyed and buried for the evil sound quality myth that it is, is the urban audio myth of not EQ'g your sound.  I'll go out on a limb and state unequivocally, that's as lame of an idea as one can have if they're interested in quality, synergistic sound quality.  If one tests their hearing, they'll find they have "natural" deficiencies and benefits and if you're not EQ'g your sound to match your listening curve and listening to someone else's idea of a flat or straight EQ line, then you're not matching the sound to what your headphone and ears are capable of, good or bad.

As a cost effective suggestion, before you do anything else, test your hearing and EQ your system to match your "real" audio capabilities and move forward from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back