The Perfect Can
Oct 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

backtofront001

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I've been searching and searching and I cannot find the answer I am looking for. Basically, in short I am looking for a pair of headphones with very strong/prominent midrange and some bass.

Right now I own:
D5000: bass but mids veiled due to strong bass
Darth Beyer V3: super strong bass, have to eq it down but still not what Im looking for
RS1: love these cans but they are very genre specific. I am sure you guys know exactly what I am talking about

I want cans that have Grado Midrange with some bass added. Could someone please guide me. Price is not much of a concern though I dont want to spend an exorbitant amount of money.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 31
good question and I was expecting it. Let me quantify with an example: I am a pretty big beyer fan and I really wanted to get the T1's pretty bad but I've read numerous times that they are not worth the price so the $1300 is a ridiculous sum in this case. 

If the price is justified then I am willing to save up money and buy but I would also like to have options throughout the price spectrum

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 31
Maybe the Ultrasone Pro900's would be worth a look as they seem to be pretty much what you are after, if not there is always the LCD-2's. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 31
When I did the Kees mod on my ultrasone Pro2500 the bass top intruding into the midrange allowing it to come out. The mids are very natural sounding, especially on simple music arrangements with prominent vocals. It can sound sibilant on some recordings, espeicallly low bitrate music but can sound very balance from good cd recordings.  It beats my Alessandro MS Pro on mid range alone. It doesn't have the same level of resolution as my Allesandro though, so maybe the Ultrasone Pro 900 is what you should be researching, if you want the that extra bit of detail.  

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 31
I would highly reccomend you research both the LCD-2 and Thunderpants.  both top tier phones, both reasonably priced, and though i can only personally attest to the thunderpants - both sound phenominal

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 31

good question and I was expecting it. Let me quantify with an example: I am a pretty big beyer fan and I really wanted to get the T1's pretty bad but I've read numerous times that they are not worth the price so the $1300 is a ridiculous sum in this case. 

If the price is justified then I am willing to save up money and buy but I would also like to have options throughout the price spectrum

If you think it doesn't worth 1300
Then get a slightly used one for around 1000

I have the T1, and i love it

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 31
What about the DT880 or DT990 600ohm guys? What do you people think about those cans? 

I've heard Ultrasone mentioned numerous times in this thread, havent ever researched various Ultrasone cans before but if someone could give me a brief description of their sound sig. id really appreciate it

EDIT: So ive been looking at the Pro900's because they have been mentioned several times in this thread and after looking at the frequency response graph there seems to be a big bass hump. My biggest pet peeve is droning bass - nasty bass that drowns out everything. Some recordings are inherently flawed no matter the bitrate and those recordings always have bass thats a little off. With cans that have a bass hump, the droning effect is amplified. I hope i am explaining this correctly. I really want some cans that have a really meaty midrange and a punchy bass. Does that even exist?

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 31
Ignore the frequency response graph provided you do the Kees mod and give them enough burn in time, I guarantee they will be exactly what you are after. I've owned the RS1i's and W1000X, I had to go to the LCD-2's to find a can that was better. The bass I hear from my Pro900's was in line with what I heard from my RS1i's. I hate crappy bass but I love my quality bass the pro900's will give you bass when called for and leave the midrange untouched.  

Quote:

EDIT: So ive been looking at the Pro900's because they have been mentioned several times in this thread and after looking at the frequency response graph there seems to be a big bass hump. My biggest pet peeve is droning bass - nasty bass that drowns out everything. Some recordings are inherently flawed no matter the bitrate and those recordings always have bass thats a little off. With cans that have a bass hump, the droning effect is amplified. I hope i am explaining this correctly. I really want some cans that have a really meaty midrange and a punchy bass. Does that even exist?

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 31
I really want some cans that have a really meaty midrange and a punchy bass. Does that even exist?

Yes.  I get that out of a HD-650.  Have you looked to changing out your current amp, DAC or both?

???

A common misconception that I pick-up on is folks expect too much out of either their IEM's or their headphones and don't look to Amp, DAC or both.  I know everybody knows it's a synergistic chain but, and I'm writing in general, folks don't seem to get it and show they don't get it by not improving their overall chain as opposed to looking to a single item solution.

???

The point, there is no "perfect can" without both, a perfect chain AND PERFECT HEARING.  Sans a perfect chain, one has to accept less than perfect sound.  And if one hasn't tested their hearing on most frequency channels, then they can't EQ the sound quality to allow for their less than perfect hearing deficits.

L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 31
Out of the T1, Pro 900/ ED 8 the LCD-2 has the most prominent mid range. It surely has bass as well and the treble is of equal high quality. Neither the bass or treble take the focus away from the mid range though. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 31
The comment about the audio chain is really right on.  I am finding that more and more as i go.  I just returned balanced xlr connectors and went back to rca cables because with the primary headphone i listened to on that set up, the xlr(copper) was horrible as compared to the rca(silver plated).  Don't know if it was the cable itself or the fact that they used different outputs from my dac but it ruined the sound on those hp's, although it wasn't a big problem on a different pair that is matched with a different amplifier.  Even little thing like that let alone a whole different amp or dac.  It is a long process of getting things matched perfectly and then if you change headphones sometimes you have to completely rematch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back