The PENON official thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #13,426 of 13,698
Enjoying Quattro like this is sublime. It wants power, so I gave it some!
1000019573.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #13,427 of 13,698
Here are my short and honest impressions about the Penon Quattro after a 2 weeks loan period. I would like to thank @Penon for the loan unit. This unit will be shipped tomorrow to another recipient for the same purpose, namely demoing the Penon Quattro and sharing impressions about these with the community.

Relevant information
MSRP: USD 399.-
Period of listening: 2 weeks
Condition and delivery: New and sealed, direct from Penon
Cable: Stock cable and 4W copper cable from Clan Audio
Source: Hiby R8 II as standalone DAP or with Romi Audio BX2-Pro external amp
Music genres listened: Electronic, pop/rock, male & female vocalists, OST.
Rating 100% subjective (personal taste only): 3.25 stars out of 5
Rating price/performance/targeted audience: 4.5 stars out of 5

Technical data
Driver structure:4 Dynamic drivers
1 x 6mm custom dynamic driver for High frequency
1 x 8mm graphene diaphragm for Medium frequency
2 x 10mm composite diaphragm for Low frequency
Impedance: 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB
Frequency response: 5Hz-30kHz

Purchase info
Penon Audio shop link: https://penonaudio.com/Penon-QUATTRO

Package received from Penon (25th of March 2024)
IMG_0593.jpg

FR-Graph - Courtesy of tgx78
graph (6).png

Sound impressions & built quality
Penon advised me to let the Quattro 🔥-in for 200 hours. I first listened to them ootb, again after ca. 30 hours and finally ca. 170 hours before writing down my final notes about them. Ootb, the Quattro were very warm sounding with timid bass. The sound was inoffensive and characterless. In one word: boring, but not bad per se. I switched the stock cable for a 4W copper one from Clan Audio (a non-official brand based in the northern UK, whose mastermind is a discrete, absolute talented guy). I directly noticed a slight upgrade in sound, but not to the point to feel that the Quattro dramatically stepped up. Penon's built quality is very good and the Quattro is no exception and confirms my experience with sets I already own (Serial and Turbo). The shells are superb and the 2pins connectors tight as they should. Good work!

After 30 hours, still switching between stock cable and the aforementioned 4W copper one, things have improved quite a bit, with a much more textured and refined low-end section. It was clearly noticeable. The uppermids and lower treble also opened up, breathing a bit more, while remaining warm and lacking some energy I would have welcomed. At that stage, vocal-oriented music was sounding agreeable, especially with female vocalists. The vocals are syrupy and full sounding. I liked that and I spent 2 hours sitting on the sofa, enjoying my library on shuffle modus.

My last listening session was by far the longest one, and at this stage, the Quattro almost clocked 200 hours of 🔥-in. Obviously, this is how I preferred the Quattro. The bass was now behaving as I thought it should, namely with additional impact and better decay vs. the last aforementioned session. Honestly, the Quattro is not a basshead set, it's not their purpose. The bass tuning is there to act as a supporting agent for the midrange and lower treble to sound exactly as they should be. I might be wrong, but this is my assumption. The Quattro are coherent in their tuning and this is their main strength.

Conclusion
The Quattro is a set that already has found its fan base and certainly will remain a sought-after pair of IEMs for listeners who want to sit back and to enjoy their tunes with a welcoming and cozy, well-implemented, warm signature. For my personal tastes, the Quattro are just a bit too muted in the highs, lacks energy and "prat" across the FR-curve and a tad of extra "oomph" in the lows. The vocals are very well-rendered and the Quattro might please many mid-centric aficionados.

Ultimately, Penon brought something very special on the market with the Quattro. For me, it's just a bit too warm and they lack details and energy to fit my bill, stock cable mounted or not. For the ones looking for this kind of sound signature at an affordable price, the Quattro might be the ones to put high on your shortlist. As always, if you get the opportunity, try IEMs before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #13,428 of 13,698
Here are my short and honest impressions about the Penon Quattro after a 2 weeks loan period. I would like to thank @Penon for the loan unit. This unit will be shipped tomorrow to another recipient for the same purpose, namely demoing the Penon Quattro and sharing impressions about these with the community.

Relevant information

Technical data

Purchase info

IMG_0593.jpg

graph (6).png

Penon advised me to let the Quattro 🔥-in for 200 hours. I first listened to them ootb, again after ca. 30 hours and finally ca. 170 hours before writing down my final notes about them. Ootb, the Quattro were very warm sounding with timid bass. The sound was inoffensive and characterless. In one word: boring, but not bad per se. I switched the stock cable for a 4W copper one from Clan Audio (a non-official brand based in the northern UK, whose mastermind is a discrete, absolute talented guy). I directly noticed a slight upgrade in sound, but not to the point to feel that the Quattro dramatically stepped up. Penon's built quality is very good and the Quattro is no exception and confirms my experience with sets I already own (Serial and Turbo). The shells are superb and the 2pins connectors tight as they should. Good work!

After 30 hours, still switching between stock cable and the aforementioned 4W copper one, things have improved quite a bit, with a much more textured and refined low-end section. It was clearly noticeable. The uppermids and lower treble also opened up, breathing a bit more, while remaining warm and lacking some energy I would have welcomed. At that stage, vocal-oriented music was sounding agreeable, especially with female vocalists. The vocals are syrupy and full sounding. I liked that and I spent 2 hours sitting on the sofa, enjoying my library on shuffle modus.

My last listening session was by far the longest one, and at this stage, the Quattro almost clocked 200 hours of 🔥-in. Obviously, this is how I preferred the Quattro. The bass was now behaving as I thought it should, namely with additional impact and better decay vs. the last aforementioned session. Honestly, the Quattro is not a basshead set, it's not their purpose. The bass tuning is there to act as a supporting agent for the midrange and lower treble to sound exactly as they should be. I might be wrong, but this is my assumption. The Quattro are coherent in their tuning and this is their main strength.

Conclusion
The Quattro is a set that already has found its fan base and certainly will remain a sought-after pair of IEMs for listeners who want to sit back and to enjoy their tunes with a welcoming and cozy, well-implemented, warm signature. For my personal tastes, the Quattro are just a bit too muted in the highs, lacks energy and "prat" across the FR-curve and a tad of extra "oomph" in the lows. The vocals are very well-rendered and the Quattro might please many mid-centric aficionados.

Ultimately, Penon brought something very special on the market with the Quattro. For me, it's just a bit too warm and they lack details and energy to fit my bill, stock cable mounted or not. For the ones looking for this kind of sound signature at an affordable price, the Quattro might be the ones to put high on your shortlist. As always, if you get the opportunity, try IEMs before pulling the trigger.
How do I get on these tours lol I was just saying I wanted them to do more tours

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #13,429 of 13,698

Relevant information

Technical data

Purchase info

IMG_0593.jpg

graph (6).png

Conclusion

I hear the Quattro more or less the same as you've described. Yes it definitely requires 200 hours before it starts singing properly. And it needs more power too.

My thoughts: The timber that I'm hearing from Serial is not present in Quattro as Quattro is going for a different sound signature. The Serial's timbre is a delight and I wish that Penon had retained it in Quattro as well.

With Azla Xelastec eartips, after 200 hours burn-in & with after market cables, the highs are much better to my ears. Of course, each one of us hears it differently.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #13,430 of 13,698
I hear the Quattro more or less the same as you've described. Yes it definitely requires 200 hours before it starts singing properly. And it needs more power too.

My thoughts: The timber that I'm hearing from Serial is not present in Quattro as Quattro is going for a different sound signature. The Serial's timbre is a delight and I wish that Penon had retained it in Quattro as well.

With Azla Xelastec eartips, after 200 hours burn-in & with after market cables, the highs are much better to my ears. Of course, each one of us hears it differently.
I also prefer Serial over Quattro.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #13,431 of 13,698

Is a spare $35 burning a hole in your pocket? Then you might appreciate my latest review of the Penon OS133 dongle - which you're invited to read here. :smile:

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #13,434 of 13,698
(Subjective) For me: any dongle is good to use with the mobile phone, good sound will depend - as always - on the final link in the chain, the headphones. I prefer a DAP for more intimate music listening. I have tested three dongles DAC/AMP progressively and have returned each of them to my supplier. They are quite cumbersome. For any high-end dongle I prefer a DAP. If you have a good smart phone...

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #13,436 of 13,698
Ok I lied , I said I was done , I tried T- Tips and now moved onto AZLA Crystal Tips to tighten up bass and back to the 5N pure silver Palladium cable.

For me this gives the best sounding set up , the cable adds in the upper end brilliance I was missing and the Tips tighten up the bass and reduce the mid bass bloat quite alot to make the Quattro colored but not saturated for male or female vocals.

What a ride to get here my set now has about 160 hours on them. I find the biggest difference is the lower bass extension and mids get more textured.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msGlIUy
its a shame of aliexpress 5N silver for 100eur ... what im see 5n silver cable real price starts from 300eu. https://gladiatorcables.com/caesar-line/p/pure-silver

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #13,437 of 13,698
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/th...irrus-logic-headphone-amplifier.26574/reviews

See my short review (lucanato's).

Now i'm listening to colorfly cdm1p arrived 2 days ago and i'm absoluted delighted!!! no words
Perhaps you received a defective unit?

I quite like the Tail, the W4 & RU7 remain the two best dongles I've heard but are vastly more expensive - considering the cost difference the Tail puts up a decent fight.

Certainly nothing about it is dramatically objectionable to my ears, my main complaint is it lacks a bit of refinement but that's to be expected from any source under $100. It's also odd that you cited 'unnatural dynamics and prat' as one of the Tail's shortcomings when I found musicality one of its' strengths, for me it's very toe-tapping.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #13,438 of 13,698
Perhaps you received a defective unit?

I quite like the Tail, the W4 & RU7 remain the two best dongles I've heard but are vastly more expensive - considering the cost difference the Tail puts up a decent fight.

Certainly nothing about it is dramatically objectionable to my ears, my main complaint is it lacks a bit of refinement but that's to be expected from any source under $100. It's also odd that you cited 'unnatural dynamics and prat' as one of the Tail's shortcomings when I found musicality one of its' strengths, for me it's very toe-tapping.
I don't think is defective, if penon gave me a label to ship them for free I let them judge if it's defective, cause anyway I'm no more using it but I don't want to ask, I was an early buyer and a lot of time is passed.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #13,439 of 13,698
Has anyone else tried the Penon blue silicone + foam tips? I bought some ages ago but have only recently tested them out. I'm very impressed. I've tried generic silicon/foam hybrids from AliExpress before, but I prefer these by some margin.

I still prefer nice silicones (Divinus Velvet or JVC Spiral Dot) for most of my IEMs, but for all my sets when I want to add a bit of that foam warmth whilst taming the treble slightly, the Penon foam hybrids are now my go-to, replacing traditional foams for all of them. They don't mute highs as much as all the pure foam tips I've tried, and overall give a more honest representation of the IEM's sound. They're particularly great on the S12 Pros, which I've never much liked for the planar timbre and the spicy treble - these tips have meant I can enjoy them without EQ for the first time in the year+ I've owned them. Worth chucking on your next order if you haven't got any!

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #13,440 of 13,698

Users who are viewing this thread

Back