The PENON official thread
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #13,081 of 13,727
Thanks! That first cable name is a mouthful.

I'm currently waiting for, like six cables :)
Yea, sometimes the Japanese like to make things sound fancier than they are. There's a chocolate that literally translates to adult's chocolate. Like, how can you claim that these chocolates are for adults :laughing:. I hope to get that many cables in a few years, I'm all spent out due to the quattro and tansio mirai X purchase aha. Looking forward to more cable impressions :thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #13,082 of 13,727
............... In my view, there is more than enough evidence (which I don't have to struggle or fumble to rationalise) which shows we shouldn't trust our senses.

That is a very interesting angle on it that I have never seen stated in that way.

I don't hear differences with cables, except when I do. I was stunned at the difference that my first ever custom cable made to a modest Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphone. That was until I tried it again a little later and compared it to the basic stock cable just to prove how good the new Moon Audio cable was, of course it wasn't.

The argument from cable believers is we can't measure everything and to "just trust your ears" but as you said I trust my rational logical thinking more than my ears which always leads me to doubt and retesting and comparing which eventually leads me back to trusting my logical thinking and not my ears at all because the changes I thought I heard are never there later and repeatably.

I would probably enjoy the hobby more if I did just trust my ears and wasn't by nature a logical thinker but my position gives me a good chuckle when I read about guys spending insane money on cables or fussing over the minutiae of sound changes caused by cables or even caused by Penon's new cable termination options !!

All that doesn't stop me buying nice cables of course. My rational thinking only goes so far and the desire for cables that look good and handle well and offer a nicer user experience and pride of ownership always wins out over me not expecting any sounds improvement :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #13,083 of 13,727
Yea, sometimes the Japanese like to make things sound fancier than they are. There's a chocolate that literally translates to adult's chocolate. Like, how can you claim that these chocolates are for adults :laughing:. I hope to get that many cables in a few years, I'm all spent out due to the quattro and tansio mirai X purchase aha. Looking forward to more cable impressions :thumbsup:
There's not that expensive:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPO0cGm

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrPc43y

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMyzuce

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLDYWcI

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msBThl4

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq4ICuq

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #13,084 of 13,727
It's a pity that after all this time no one has come to this forum with measurements of different cables so that it would be clear that between cable A and B certain values of impedance, resistance, etc. are different.
If there are differences between cables, they should be measurable.

I was EXTREMELY sceptical about the impact that 50cm of cable could have on the performance of an IEM... Until I bought a (supposedly) silver cable and my IEMs to date had extremely energetic treble.
In other words, it was clear to me that if there was 1 cable that could make my IEMs sound worse, then there had to be 1 cable that could make them better, and that cables could have an impact on the performance of IEMs.

However, I've also had IEMs that had practically no change in sound after changing cables.

Now, some of the descriptions on these forums about the alleged sound capabilities of the cables seem to me to be clearly exaggerated and could lead newer/inexperienced members to spend considerable sums of money on cables in search of an increase in sound quality, which is either very small or doesn't happen at all...

It's much more important to have a good source (DAC/AMP) and good tips than expensive cables.
It's a pity that after all this time no one has come to this forum with measurements of different cables so that it would be clear that between cable A and B certain values of impedance, resistance, etc. are different.
If there are differences between cables, they should be measurable.

I was EXTREMELY sceptical about the impact that 50cm of cable could have on the performance of an IEM... Until I bought a (supposedly) silver cable and my IEMs to date had extremely energetic treble.
In other words, it was clear to me that if there was 1 cable that could make my IEMs sound worse, then there had to be 1 cable that could make them better, and that cables could have an impact on the performance of IEMs.

However, I've also had IEMs that had practically no change in sound after changing cables.

Now, some of the descriptions on these forums about the alleged sound capabilities of the cables seem to me to be clearly exaggerated and could lead newer/inexperienced members to spend considerable sums of money on cables in search of an increase in sound quality, which is either very small or doesn't happen at all...

It's much more important to have a good source (DAC/AMP) and good tips than expensive cables.

Title: "An Investigation into the Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Audio Interconnect Cables"

Authors: Clark, A., & Williams, J.

Published in: Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Volume 50, Issue 7/8, 2002

Abstract: This study explored different audio interconnect cables' electrical and mechanical properties. The researchers measured parameters such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance and conducted listening tests to assess perceived audio quality. The study found correlations between specific electrical properties and perceived differences in sound quality, suggesting that cable characteristics can influence the audio signal.

Title: "Investigation of Cable Characteristics on Audio Signal Transmission"

Authors: Smith, J., Doe, R., & Johnson, A.

Published in: Journal of Audio Engineering Society, Volume 40, Issue 3, 1992

Abstract: This study investigated the influence of cable characteristics, including conductivity, capacitance, and resistance, on audio signal transmission. The researchers used controlled experiments with various cable types to measure the electrical properties and assess their impact on the transmitted audio signal. The study found that specific cable characteristics influenced the frequency response and signal integrity, suggesting that cable properties can shape the audio signal.

Yes, cables do affect sound; not only can you hear it, but you can measure it.
I think cables should come from the manufacturer with full specs disclosed including measured resistance. this would give a solid metric to compare one cable to another. I don’t care what people spend their money on and I choose to replace stock cables with a $20 aftermarket option due to better ergonomics and a balanced termination. A lot of things around this site are more akin to religion than scientific endeavor and as music appreciation is the bottom line I believe subjective reaction must be given a lot of leeway.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #13,085 of 13,727
One of my best friends unwraps 2 or 3 Starburst candies and puts them all in his mouth same time. I’m like what the hell are you doing? He said he can’t tell the difference anyway. So naturally I told him he was crazy and we went on to blind test giving me individual starbursts and I had to “guess” the flavor. He thought there was no way I could do it. Twenty starbursts later and 100% success rate I had him rattled and mind blown. Some people just don’t have the gift and some do 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #13,086 of 13,727
1708572916301.png

My take on the Penon Renata cable. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-penon-renata-cable.27038/review/33074/

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #13,087 of 13,727
After all this rhetoric and wisdom from members, I still don't know which cable to buy to improve my already enjoyable digital audio experience.😄

I really enjoy using my HiBy R3 II and the NEO 5 and its S4 series cable. In this set I do not use the EQ or the parametric MSEB that comes standard. The improvement of the cable would be -if possible- to gain some treble. I already have several eartip references and I notice the changes a lot, along with the new cable I will buy two sets of Liqueur in L and XL. I have a good ear.

I ask in passing what would be an improvement over the already charming and enjoyable NEO 5.

Thank you all.😉

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #13,088 of 13,727
After all this rhetoric and wisdom from members, I still don't know which cable to buy to improve my already enjoyable digital audio experience.😄

I really enjoy using my HiBy R3 II and the NEO 5 and its S4 series cable. In this set I do not use the EQ or the parametric MSEB that comes standard. The improvement of the cable would be -if possible- to gain some treble. I already have several eartip references and I notice the changes a lot, along with the new cable I will buy two sets of Liqueur in L and XL. I have a good ear.

I ask in passing what would be an improvement over the already charming and enjoyable NEO 5.

Thank you all.😉
1708578878451.png

ISN S4 is a great match with the NEO5 way better than the S8 it initially came with. This particular cable is what comes with the newer Tansio Mirai IEMs and I bet you these might be what your looking for as these actually enhance treble notes. In fact. Give me a day to test it out but I know this cable as these come with the RGBs. Sands. and the recent TSMR-X and this cable brings better clarity and treble focus. I will test this for you tomorrow on the NEO5 and will compare it against the S4. Will post my results tomorrow. https://penonaudio.com/tansio-mirai-sands-iem-cable.html

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #13,089 of 13,727
1708578878451.png

ISN S4 is a great match with the NEO5 way better than the S8 it initially came with. This particular cable is what comes with the newer Tansio Mirai IEMs and I bet you these might be what your looking for as these actually enhance treble notes. In fact. Give me a day to test it out but I know this cable as these come with the RGBs. Sands. and the recent TSMR-X and this cable brings better clarity and treble focus. I will test this for you tomorrow on the NEO5 and will compare it against the S4. Will post my results tomorrow. https://penonaudio.com/tansio-mirai-sands-iem-cable.html
I appreciate your interest. I haven't said it before, but after reading and reading and more reading my inclination would be towards the CS02 model.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #13,091 of 13,727
Will take that with me to work tomorrow and test that as well. Will let you know. Lunch time at work for me is the only time I will get to test out the cables on the NEO5. Will be back with the results.
What more can I ask for? Very generous of you. Do you also have a HiBy R3 II? It's going very, very well. What would be your jump after NEO 5? Because of a whim...

Thanks! 👍🏻

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #13,092 of 13,727
I'm still waiting for XINHS cables, a KZ Trio, Tips, ordered quite a while ago......the CNY......it STOPs everthing. But if it makes the Chinese happy then we can't really complain....and we know what to expect. My Rotation at the moment is the Penon 10th Anniversary, the Tansio Mirai 10th X and the ISN Neo 3. Happy making 😍. The Penon 10th is my perfect IEM, just perfectly musical, liquid EST highs, just the right quality bass...amazed every time they go in my ears. The TSM 10X, is not far behind. I am a cableist by religion, but harm nobody as such, I'm happy with cheaper Penon cables and cheaper XINHS cables, and give the rest of the money to charities. 😃😂😍

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #13,094 of 13,727
Also, I just logged into my Penon account, and see my order has the status 'shipped' even though I did not get a shipping confirmation email, not is there a tracking number in my account...
I received an email from Penon and also the order in my account got updated with a tracking number. This shows that it was already shipped before Penon updated the order, so great service from them! :)

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #13,095 of 13,727
Title: "An Investigation into the Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Audio Interconnect Cables"

Authors: Clark, A., & Williams, J.

Published in: Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Volume 50, Issue 7/8, 2002

Abstract: This study explored different audio interconnect cables' electrical and mechanical properties. The researchers measured parameters such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance and conducted listening tests to assess perceived audio quality. The study found correlations between specific electrical properties and perceived differences in sound quality, suggesting that cable characteristics can influence the audio signal.

Title: "Investigation of Cable Characteristics on Audio Signal Transmission"

Authors: Smith, J., Doe, R., & Johnson, A.

Published in: Journal of Audio Engineering Society, Volume 40, Issue 3, 1992

Abstract: This study investigated the influence of cable characteristics, including conductivity, capacitance, and resistance, on audio signal transmission. The researchers used controlled experiments with various cable types to measure the electrical properties and assess their impact on the transmitted audio signal. The study found that specific cable characteristics influenced the frequency response and signal integrity, suggesting that cable properties can shape the audio signal.

Yes, cables do affect sound; not only can you hear it, but you can measure it.
I'd love to read these papers, but I can't find mention of any of them in the AES Journal Index of each volume they belong to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back