The PENON official thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #12,961 of 13,721
Hello all,

Would some1 please do a compare/contrast between the Quattro and the EA1000 Simgot? Im torn between the TM-X and the Quattro. Also, what I love about the EA1000 is the tonality. I feel it needs a little help with low EQ, and wish it had a little more forward and lush midrange. The highs are good enough IMO.

Cheers
The Quattro and EA1000 are very different, with almost opposite tunings.

The EA1000 is articulate and a bit bright, with a hint of reverb/space from the passive radiator. It is also relatively easy to drive.

In contrast the Quattro has a big, thick rich sound. It focuses less on precise, crisp details and more on a huge and very musical sound. Some people find the tuning to be bloated, others find it very engaging. It also needs notably more power than the EA1000. And it needs burn-in for the drivers to sound coherent. Even just leaving it playing overnight makes a real difference.

Personally I really like both these IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #12,962 of 13,721
Hey folks,

I am looking for a suggestion for an affordable portable amp, that I can use with my RU7 to get a little more power for my Quattro's. I love my Quattro with my RU7 and Samsung S22+, but I know there is more gains to be had with some more power/grip. Any suggestions would be great, and I am looking to stay around $500 or under.

Thanks!
Quattro needs more power than an RU7 can give?.. seems unnecessary.
The RU7 has plenty of power for my IEMs and headphones, but using its lineout to another amp just gives my harder-to-drive IEMs and headphones a bit more dynamic "flavor." In most cases.. improved bass texture, more note weight, better layering, etc. However, I don't notice much of a difference when using sensitive IEMs with the RU7+amp.

@Wes S, have you tried the Quattro on your Cayin tube amp? Kind of curious on how that would sound since all of the Quattro impressions I've read so far make it seem like it's a very warm and gooey IEM already.

I don't have a Quattro to test with, but if it's harder to drive then it might be worth checking out how it sounds on the RU7+amp. Although I don't have any firsthand recs, the portable amps that come to mind in that price range are the Topping NX7, G5, and xDuoo has a bunch of portable amps as well. For a bit more $$$, there's the Aroma A100TB.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #12,963 of 13,721
I am looking for a suggestion for an affordable portable amp, that I can use with my RU7 to get a little more power for my Quattro's. I love my Quattro with my RU7 and Samsung S22+, but I know there is more gains to be had with some more power/grip. Any suggestions would be great, and I am looking to stay around $500 or under.

Thanks!

I don’t have it but am interested in the Sound Tiger amps, especially the Sinfonia. Any owners who can speak to how they perform with Quattro or other Penon IEMs?

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #12,964 of 13,721
Hello all,

Would some1 please do a compare/contrast between the Quattro and the EA1000 Simgot? Im torn between the TM-X and the Quattro. Also, what I love about the EA1000 is the tonality. I feel it needs a little help with low EQ, and wish it had a little more forward and lush midrange. The highs are good enough IMO.

Cheers
I haven’t heard the EA1000 but I have both the TM-X and Quattro and those two are almost as different as they come. The Quattro is a bass and mids dominant tuning which gives it a very lush replay that would be characterised as warm. It has enough treble not to be considered dark imo but it does lean that way. It’s a rounder and more robust sound but doesn’t feel sloppy at all. Bass is great for slam and feel but isn’t the most refined. Mids are forward with a hint of thickness that comes from the bass slope. Vocals come across as full but lack that additional energy for female vocals that you would otherwise get on harman tuned iems with elevated 4-6k regions. This isn’t a knock on the vocal performance, just noting that it leans more natural to warm.

The TM-X on the other hand is bright leaning with emphasis on the treble and bass. The mids are bright, open, and airy and tilt towards being lean but stop short of being thin. Vocals and mids in general lack abit of weight to them for my preference as a vocal centric listener. However, you get great details, speedy dynamics, and a lot of good articulate bass (even though impact of bass could be better). Treble is the star here as it is extremely sparkly and nuanced but can be too spicy for those not used to this sort of tunings

This is my brief interpretation coming from a preference of neutrally tuned iems with slight sub bass boost and gently elevated ear gains. Not sure how you would find them coming from the EA1000 but I just want to emphasise that those 2 are almost entirely opposite experiences.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #12,965 of 13,721
The RU7 has plenty of power for my IEMs and headphones, but using its lineout to another amp just gives my harder-to-drive IEMs and headphones a bit more dynamic "flavor." In most cases.. improved bass texture, more note weight, better layering, etc. However, I don't notice much of a difference when using sensitive IEMs with the RU7+amp.
I was genuinely not impressed using the line out feature, was the exact same thing imo maybe I need to try another cable/adapter.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #12,966 of 13,721
I don’t have it but am interested in the Sound Tiger amps, especially the Sinfonia. Any owners who can speak to how they perform with Quattro or other Penon IEMs?
I have a Sound Tiger Pure, very smooth sounding. Possibly too much for the Quattro but I enjoy it with the Legend. I'll have a little Penon session tonight and report back

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #12,967 of 13,721
I have a Sound Tiger Pure, very smooth sounding. Possibly too much for the Quattro but I enjoy it with the Legend. I'll have a little Penon session tonight and report back
well I'm happy to report that the Quattro, using the stock cable and black Liqueur tips, benefitted the most from using the Sound Tiger Pure compared to the Legend, Serial, and Fan 2. I suppose it makes sense that the sensitive all-BA Legend doesn't really need the extra amplification to shine. i was also able to really notice an improved width when going from the Serial to Quattro. I was comparing using my Shanling M6U by itself and then with the Sound Tiger and Totem IC. Overall improved resolution and tighter bass. I imagine that the Sound Tiger Concerto would sound even better based on the company's claim that it's their most resolving amp yet.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #12,968 of 13,721
I've posted enough about my Quattro love and I know it is shared/abhorred by many. To my knowledge, it's the only 4xDD available...oh wait, those birds from Japan snuck the Monachaa in before Quattro!

Time to see what they are all about and compare to my beloved Quattro! Let's set the bar clearly, Quattro is $400 and Monachaa is $2000(!), so expecting Quattro to compete would be ludicrous, especially compared to its equal from the maker of Trailli :) wouldn't it!?

1000006969.jpg
1000006970.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #12,969 of 13,721
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #12,970 of 13,721
I've posted enough about my Quattro love and I know it is shared/abhorred by many. To my knowledge, it's the only 4xDD available...oh wait, those birds from Japan snuck the Monachaa in before Quattro!

Time to see what they are all about and compare to my beloved Quattro! Let's set the bar clearly, Quattro is $400 and Monachaa is $2000(!), so expecting Quattro to compete would be ludicrous, especially compared to its equal from the maker of Trailli :) wouldn't it!?

1000006969.jpg1000006970.jpg
Would love to read your impressions! Intriguing!

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #12,971 of 13,721
I purchased a Fan 2 which is a great IEM... however the os133 cables quality is atroscious. 3 months in the glue tired everywhere, so the metal part at the divide is no longer attached and the right cables cloth mesh has also let loose.

I would not recommend this cable by itself for sure. And kind of makes me question how much I can trust the quality of the rest.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #12,972 of 13,721

1000006969.jpg1000006970.jpg
Am I the only one who thinks the production of that album is sub par? Your thoughts?

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #12,974 of 13,721

Users who are viewing this thread

Back