The PENON official thread
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #12,526 of 13,769
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #12,528 of 13,769
Name for this new guy? Isn't that the driver config of the 10th?

The driver config of 10th is 2DD+2BA+2EST
Yes,
2x Sonion EST for ultra-high frequency
1x Knowles BA for high frequency
1x Sonion BA for middle frequency
2x 6mm crystalline plated biofilm dynamic driver for low frequency

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #12,530 of 13,769
Anybody have the Penon Liqueur ear tips ?

I have a set that look like the liqueur that came with an earlier Penon order but they are a matte look not the glossy lock in the advertising photos. Their big diameter (XL - 15mm or so) works great with my Campfire Solaris 2020 due to the shallow fit and the diameter of my outer ear canal, normal 13.5 - 14mm large tips from other brands fit but don't give a robust seal that stays put over a few hours or so.

I have ordered orange and black of the new ones.

Are the Liqueur glossy and perhaps a bit sticky as the images indicate ?

Yes, glossy and sticky enough to seal well. Great for improving timbre and soundstage/air. Quoting my earlier impressions here:

They open up and smoothen the treble, in that they somehow make it sound more finely resolving instead of losing detail or texture. Being Penon, they also bring a noticeable improvement to vocals and bass and maintain a very good sense of space in the imaging.

And also:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17871887

I’ve tip rolled it with a bunch more IEMs since, and while they have a special synergy with Penon’s own IEMs, I also enjoy them with a lot of others and they’re among the tips I reach for first when trying a different IEM.

Since you mention Solaris though, I should add that Divinus managed to edge out the Liqueur on my OG Solaris (as well as a few other Campfires) for both bass pressure and air. I think part of it comes down to its synergy with their house sound as a whole. But it also really depends on what improvements you’re looking for.

The Liqueur tips are quite large - I usually use L to XL tips, but I’m an M to L with them.

Same here. I find that I’m able to get a deeper insertion with the orange Liqueur tips in particular as they’re soft enough, so it certainly helps to get a range of sizes to potentially benefit from sizing down where possible.

Not that they are similar, as in fact they're not, but the Trifecta has this type of love/hate thing going on, with 3xDDs and a very bottom up tuning.

Agree, nothing similar about Trifecta and Quattro except that they both are all-DD setups that I enjoy very much, and that they’ve turned out to be very divisive (although Trifecta impressions have at least been somewhat more consistent… in that no one’s going to say they have balanced tuning, for instance - it’s just more a matter of whether people like it or not).

Whereas, reading some of the Quattro impressions, I would not have been able to tell what iem they were about, had it not been mentioned explicitly… even if I had the Quattro in my ears at the time.

I have been getting a lot of different results just from plugging into different sources, it sounds like a different IEM each time.

This reminds me that I tried hooking up the Quattro with the Tempotec V3 very briefly and it was way too warm for my liking (bearing in mind my tastes currently lean warm and musical). So there may be something in this. I don’t recall any other IEM eliciting such wildly different impressions as this, and least of all from people who were listening to the same set.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #12,531 of 13,769
I remember that serial was mostly praised. Can’t recall a single strongly negative comment. The most negative comment I heard from my circle was “overrated”.
I jumped on the Serial as my first entry into the Penon universe and while overall I liked the set my biggest issue with that set was the muted treble, especially at the time when my prefs were for brighter and more resolving sets. I think when you see such polarizing comments about a set its indicative of the fact that the set does somethings really well and some things poorly.

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #12,534 of 13,769
I ordered Quattro. The prodigal son of penon. I liked penon Orb, its warm-rounded full-bodied sound.

But I have a concern. I heard quattro needs (too?) more power.
my daily device is qudelix 5k. Can qudelix handle quattro enough?
or... maybe... not? (I don't want carrying DAP...
Let us know. It needs juice to come into its own.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #12,535 of 13,769
I ordered Quattro. The prodigal son of penon. I liked penon Orb, its warm-rounded full-bodied sound.

or... maybe... not? (I don't want carrying DAP...)
I prefer the 2.5mm balanced with the Quattro on the Q5K as it sounds a little bit cleaner but you be the judge.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #12,536 of 13,769

or... maybe... not? (I don't want carrying DAP...)

Qudelix 5k definitely has enough power. That things has 4vrms....But in terms of synergy...

I'd describe the Qudelix 5k as a dark source with no warmth to help with midbass slam. There is little dynamics and even a compressed staging/layering.

It's a convenient device, but I've heard dongles with better quirks to their sound. I even like the Fiio utws5 and the ifi go pods truly wireless adapters more than a Qudelix. Way better layering and staging of imaging in those devices.

Some stuff that don't need help in bass dynamics like a ie900 will not be effected by the Qudelix 5k presentation.
Nor a brighter, kind-of-good-dynamics iem like the Simgot EA1000 (doesn't need the help in dynamics).

Still you'll notice a difference in the layering of things.

Qudelix 5k still an amazing convenient device. The proprietary xFeed dsp it has is fun too.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #12,537 of 13,769
My thoughts on the Quattro

I really enjoy this set when not trying to listen to it and just sit back and let the music play and the Quattro to do it's thing.

❤️ Magical Musical Mids some of the best I have ever heard and makes you forget about all the other flaws when you just let your brain turn off and enjoy the music.

Critical listening flaws.
😭 Power Pig - needs power can't really be driven off a phone or low powered dongle.
😭 Source dependant - a warmer source if that your only one will exasperate the bass thickening even more.
😭 Tip dependant of you don't have a great variety you will not be able to bring out the best of this IEM
😭 That MONO non isobaric configuration bass lacks texture
😭 Mid bass is soft and bleeds into the mids too much
😭 Treble is not air or enough to get past the bloated bass on certain tracks, music
😭 Detail and seperation is not strong on this one.
😭 Technical details non existent at lower volumes as is dynamics and needs the juice to get going making the Quattro not great at lower volumes.

20231227_084648.jpg

I have had my Quattro for a little now. I can 100% agree with you the midbass of the Quattro is objectively bad. Very pillowy sounding.

On the positive side, the subbass never comes out incoherent despite the bass tilt.

I made a review of the Quattro:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-quattro-4-dynamic-driver-universal-iem.26959/review/32749/

The pros still alot of things.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #12,538 of 13,769
DSC_1748.jpegwin.jpeg

DSC_1727.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_1698.jpegw.jpeg

w.jpeg

DSC_1736.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_1733.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_1731.jpegw.jpeg

First impressions Penon Quattro:
Probably the first thing that hits you is how wonderfully analogue and timbre-perfect the Quattro is. Where upon first listening (in our over-stimulated world) you could be forgiven for asking for more brightness or clarity.........maybe? But then you go to a more high-power source and the Quattro comes alive.......it really does.......finding stark transients that somehow boost the clarity into perfection. I forgive some reviewers for their naivety..........but in all honesty switching from my WM1A DAP to the Penon Tail or the TA desktop opened the avenue-up to a fabulous adventure? :) Such we find home speaker like smoothness with just the right amount of clarity and (clear) emotional involvement. I'm sorry but...............to me anyway.......the Quattro is a solid 10/10.........just due to the improvement over the Serial with deeper and bigger bass, and fun-fast imaging way out into the stage sides? Sure the Quattro needs 200 hours of burn-in.........but I'm pretty sure I have a handle of what it is? Wonderfully 100% Penon in a boring world of boring or too technical IEMs....................................it sounds like I'm in a room with floor-standers?

Ditch the BA timbre.............forever. That's my motto for the Quattro!
You can crank it with these, way further that you can imagine?

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #12,539 of 13,769
I have had my Quattro for a little now. I can 100% agree with you the midbass of the Quattro is objectively bad. Very pillowy sounding.

On the positive side, the subbass never comes out incoherent despite the bass tilt.

I made a review of the Quattro:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-quattro-4-dynamic-driver-universal-iem.26959/review/32749/

The pros still alot of things.
I recently tested (then immediately bought) the EA Code 24 and hooked it up to Quattro, which is also a nice color match. They have a synergy that ups the fun factor (as you described with the NJ cable) especially in the lower and mid bass, tho treble takes no hit and itself sounds extended. Code 23 works great, too.
20240118_182530.jpg

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #12,540 of 13,769
I recently tested (then immediately bought) the EA Code 24 and hooked it up to Quattro, which is also a nice color match. They have a synergy that ups the fun factor (as you described with the NJ cable) especially in the lower and mid bass, tho treble takes no hit and itself sounds extended. Code 23 works great, too.

I actually have the demo Code24 / 24c cables temporarily with me. The Code24 indeed helped; the Nightjar Mira cable was even a bigger step further more.

Attachments

• 20240112_173359.jpg
    20240112_173359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back