The PENON official thread
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #12,121 of 13,732
Received Quattro today, impressive packaging, more so than many times pricier iems.
Beautiful case and iems, love the cable too.
As for sound, they sound out of sorts, not bad, there is bass treble all fine, but a kinda slightly unrefined and incoherent
Lets start the burn in😁
Great, I am glad to hear your impressions.

Especially if you have either the Fan 2 or 10AE for reference...

Happy New Year! Everyone.

Cheers!!!

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #12,122 of 13,732
Great, I am glad to hear your impressions.

Especially if you have either the Fan 2 or 10AE for reference...

Happy New Year! Everyone.

Cheers!!!
I don’t, I started with SR DTE900 recently and also got Xuelin Clear, very cool stuff and keeping me off the totl spending nicely 😛🥂

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #12,124 of 13,732
I assume that Quattro has a "modern sound" compared to Serial's vintage, analog sound?
i guess it depend analog musicality you have in your mind....it make me think of my good Mordaunt short or JBL vintage speakers system hooked to Sansui AUD5 with Loudness button ON, no presence boost and, bass boost and slight treble boost....and an extra center speaker for mids and vocal at lower volume.
its quite creamy tone and timbre wise, not cold like digital with boosted resolution....Harman target fit more this imo

but its more appropriate for modern music style like pop, rap, soul, R&B and electronic...for ex, i tremendously enjoy Quattro with Kaytranada....it seem to fit his music style which have lotta synth sub bass line which sound so full and well articulated...eargasm guarantee imo
as well, Quattro has this special holographic multi layered immersivity that keep vocal layer fully extract and well centered but not loud or shouty at all...both male and female vocal presence is natural, lean, yet not veiled by this big bass which can go thumpy juicy way while keeping the bass line elasticity and tactile presence magnify.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #12,126 of 13,732
I am finding when the Quattro plays a bassy song it overly saturates the mids and makes the Quattro too dark sounding.
Bass bleed to a level that it kills any highs and extension. I think they overdid the bass on this set. Where the Dome saturated the mids the Quattro oversaturated the lower bass and mid bass.

When there is less bass in the track the Quattro sounds amazing.

Coming from a way more neutral set it's clear to hear how colored the Quattro is.

Maybe this set is geared for specific genres only, certainly not a allrounder for me so far. 100+ hours of burn in on my set so far.

I will reserve final judgment for some critical listening sessions.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #12,127 of 13,732
I am finding when the Quattro plays a bassy song it overly saturates the mids and makes the Quattro too dark sounding.
Bass bleed to a level that it kills any highs and extension. I think they overdid the bass on this set. Where the Dome saturated the mids the Quattro oversaturated the lower bass and mid bass.

Coming from a way more neutral set it's clear to hear how colored the Quattro is.

Maybe this set is geared for specific genres only, certainly not a allrounder for me so far. 100+ hours of burn in on my set so far.

That is what I'm afraid of. They also appears to be variability between the sets.

Hope not to have this experience, will see.

Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #12,130 of 13,732

What’s the neutral set you’re talking about?

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #12,131 of 13,732
This will be my last Penon purchase if there is really variability. They make Hifiman look like Focal.
I don't know if this is true; that's why I wrote appears, and that's what I'm getting from reading—the sonic impression in and off the forum.

Also to consider is personal preferences; of course, not everyone listens the same besides other variables, such as source, etc.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #12,132 of 13,732
Just curious... Any example songs?

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #12,134 of 13,732
What’s the neutral set you’re talking about?
Hisenior T4 and Plunge Audio Unity are my references and I have listening to the PA2 fro PULA alot.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #12,135 of 13,732
Just curious... Any example songs?
I will definitely list some in my video review but for now I am just picking up the set for a hour a day to let them burn in and just playing whatever pops up on the DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back