The PENON official thread
Sep 12, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #11,146 of 13,731
Received my repair. I bought used serial from here and est50 had a lose part inside which I bought from penon directly - I paid priority shipping from Texas and paid for expedited shipping form penon ~$80 total - penon didn’t charge me for repairs, 1 month turn around.

Simply outstanding imo - the only service experience I’ve had like this in this hobby is ZMF

penon earns my respect and praise.
Good to know thanks!! Good service is an underrated aspect

Sep 12, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #11,147 of 13,731
Received my repair. I bought used serial from here and est50 had a lose part inside which I bought from penon directly - I paid priority shipping from Texas and paid for expedited shipping form penon ~$80 total - penon didn’t charge me for repairs, 1 month turn around.

Simply outstanding imo - the only service experience I’ve had like this in this hobby is ZMF

penon earns my respect and praise.
Matches my experience. A failed driver on my EST50, and they fixed it quickly and without charge. I absolutely agree that the service is excellent.

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #11,148 of 13,731
Received a DM asking which was best for vocals - Volt, Aurora or Butastur. I already knew but ran a quick comparo to make sure. For convenience, I used the Butastur stock cable as it is very good and I fully intended to get back to Butastur after that because, like I said, I enjoy it very much.

IMG_8576.jpeg

Ended up spending 2 hours with the Volt. On the Butastur cable. Sometimes it’s tough being a new iem. Someone takes away your cable and you don’t even get ear time.
What one do you feel is best for vocals? I have Butastur, been eying both Volt and Aurora.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #11,151 of 13,731
What Brilliant sorcery is this ???
10THAE sorcery.....
The ONE & ONLY monitor that forced me revisit & re-evaluate the WHOLE ****ING LIBRARY...
One by one.... 3000 plus tracks.......cause each one of them gets to occupy more space, providing a different more open head stage during listening..
7 years on this hobby never this occurred before
Owning twice it's price monitors that is.....
Being 100 percent honest here... Never before..
Trying to find the answer why that's happening i suspect partially due to 10th's unique abilities to stay coherent and stable even at the highest volumes..... And without the slightest hint of congestion at all !!!!!!!!
Everything flows flawlessly here!!!!!!
Days after my first listen and still being impressed each time from those...... Each day,!!! at every listen!!!
It's a real treat to turn up the volume at these cuties.. So....TURN IT UP.....surpass your fears!!
You ll be rewarded guys....
Makes me remember of another great monitor that was really a pleasure to listen at very high volumes.. Yanyin Aladdin that was... Due to it's low pinna gain it was a real treat...
BUT on this Miracle of a monitor (10th that is) everything is on ANOTHER LEVEL..... End level..
Absolutely best monitor I own so far.... ❤️❤️❤️

IMG_20230914_181005.jpg

IMG_20230914_175952.jpg

IMG_20230914_175026.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #11,152 of 13,731
I still love my Penon Serial. The Penon 10th Anniversary are my all time favourite IEM, but the Penon Serial is close behind. Analogue Heaven, I do have to give it some Wellie because my one likes power. A bit of class A on the HiBy R6 III and musical magic is born. I ♥️ the Penon Serial

1694770734025.png

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #11,153 of 13,731
I have absolutely no idea how to value a cable. What makes the ISN CS02 special?
My default cable is the KZ silver/gold for about $10. How does the CS02 differ to justify $70?
It is just a tactile difference. I use cheap cable with my Fan 2. I didn't like the stock cable because it's big and heavy. I use one from moondrop Starfield.

Don't go the cable route - it is a waste of money. For sound difference ... use EQ, or change headphones.

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #11,154 of 13,731
It is just a tactile difference. I use cheap cable with my Fan 2. I didn't like the stock cable because it's big and heavy. I use one from moondrop Starfield.

Don't go the cable route - it is a waste of money. For sound difference ... use EQ, or change headphones.
I may switch to a different cable too, but just a good quality basic cable.....not even sure how to tell one inexpensive cable from another.
I prefer the plastic-coated cables with molded ear hooks. The cheap KZ one that comes on their more expensive earphones works great for me. Not too heavy, not too light & tangly, quiet when it rubs against clothing. I have no idea it it's good quality or not as far as sound goes....as far as I can tell it's a-ok.

I just got a batch of ear tips today....I went crazy out of frustration and ordered three different brands of earphones for the Fan 2. Now I realize it's not really difficult for the Fan 2 to fit; it just requires a specific type of eartip for most people and one size smaller. The eartips needs to be short such as CP360 wireless. That one was working just fine for me, but I just got some TRN T eartips, and I think they may be just a hair better, allowing the shell to fit even more flush against my ear. I also got some Whizzer SS20s and some Infiter wireless eartips. Not sure if I'll try either one anytime soon as these TRNs seem to be the ticket.

So if you're having trouble with Fan 2 fit, just get short wireless-type tips, one size smaller.

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #11,155 of 13,731
1694824115524.png
1694824130046.png
1694824140441.png
1694824152178.png

Penon Turbo in the house.
And man, its another Penon IEM im in love with...so for now, their only one im not that into, Fan1...tbh, all Penon IEMS are for those seeking lush bass and mid centric musicality, without thin or dry timbre, without artificial all about presence boost....perhaps the anti-harman squad? I dont know but they nail my target, which need mids that have lower mids too.

Im mean, i receive in same week: Tanchjim Kara, YanYin Canon2, QOA Aviation, EPZ 620 and the Turbo are the one putting a spell on me.

The switch work very well here, but its mostly about bass and lower mids boost or damp. As well as sligth treble tweaking.

So you can go from warmish neutral to W warm bassshead.

Some state it need at least 50H burning, im not even 10h yet...all in my ears, but these soun very dynamic, multi layered in a lush macro dynamic way, they have fast bass boom that can go textured punch with only switch 3 on, vocal are wide and thick in presence, fowards and they embrace you, both male and female. Timbre isn't BA, more like lush DD. Treble is smooth but can go crunchy so you can decide how the percussions will be edgy in the mix....

Their so much to tell about those, ill hold off to achieve this 50H burn in,

Its not a technical-cold or crisp sounding IEM, like the Penon 10th its about musical cohesion and engaging non fatiguing musicality first and foremost.

Sep 16, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #11,156 of 13,731
the anti-harman squad
You nailed it. !!!
Indeed the anti-harman squad
Because here it's all about enjoyment and musicality in the best way possible
That is what exactly made PENON famous for.
IMG_20230914_174947.jpg

..... and capable of producing DIAMONDS
like this one in this photo.....
7 years now in this hobby ( started listening to iems somewhere in 2016) and I finally have reached the NIRVANA STATE with the 10th AE......
...... Best thing ever happened to me in this hobby.......
IMG_20230907_184124.jpg

But this Heavy Statement coming from me.. means as well that you really never know what's coming next... what to expect in the future from the audio manufacturing business...
The only thing I can be sure of now is that whatever it comes it ll be from PENON AUDIO for sure.......

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #11,157 of 13,731
You nailed it. !!!
Indeed the anti-harman squad
Because here it's all about enjoyment and musicality in the best way possible
That is what exactly made PENON famous for.

..... and capable of producing DIAMONDS
like this one in this photo.....
7 years now in this hobby ( started listening to iems somewhere in 2016) and I finally have reached the NIRVANA STATE with the 10th AE......
...... Best thing ever happened to me in this hobby.......

But this Heavy Statement coming from me.. means as well that you really never know what's coming next... what to expect in the future from the audio manufacturing business...
The only thing I can be sure of now is that whatever it comes it ll be from PENON AUDIO for sure.......

Exactly. At they end, greatest mystery of audiophile realm is the concept of MUSICALITY and what can trigger emotional response, which is mostly inherent to mid range in fact since all instrument including vocal blossomin this range...
Yet, its one of most understated freq too, harman pull off the soul of mids and brighten the presence, like seing skeleton of a sexy woman instead of her more tactile and fleshy curve (oh well....)
Instrument and vocal fundamental mostly are between 200-700hz. This section is ultra scooped with Harman, so I stop lying to myself about this and now reject most harman IEM, refuse to review them too....cant take more.
What some call mud, is in fact natural vibration of air within instrument, but the restitution is harder with single DD while hybrid and planar can permit good layering with cohesive macro dynamic that dont feel artificial tweak to bypass limitation of clean clarity.
As well, where hearing limitation hit harder its pass 10khz, and lot of IEM maker tend to boost 8-10khz section cause its easier, you dont need as crazy good DD for ex...

At they end, this upper mids-presence boost can be usefull for monitoring, so im able to enjoy it, Letshuoer EM07J is a good ex of that...

It just surprise me that some audio companies think its what will appeal the mass or those seeking musical pleasure.

I do adore the Penon 10th too, so I understand your enthusiasm bro. It make 10 years im doing random reviews...at first, i have prejudice about Penon thinking hype wasn't real....but its evident it isn't bs. On facebook group Chifi Love, 90% of praise is now from consumers, not reviewers. Fan2 praise is overwhelming for ex. Penon Serial too is quite loved...

Oh, if anybody intrigue about my view of 10th, there is my review:
https://nobordersaudiophile.wordpre...graphic-musicality-with-a-pinch-of-est-spice/

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #11,158 of 13,731
What some call mud, is in fact natural vibration of air do love mud you know.. :laughing:
If mud sounds like this then...
I I do love mud..... :grin: :grin:
and I do love air as well...
especially mud in the air...
No one does midrange better but PENON
They have proven themselves over time that's for sure..
To me vibration (decay/reverb as well) is everything in music....

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #11,159 of 13,731
What one do you feel is best for vocals? I have Butastur, been eying both Volt and Aurora.

I'm also curious as I have Aurora and Volt and both of them are tied as my top vocals. The only difference is Volt's mids is more forward, fuller and lusher. Quality wise, they're the same imho.

All 3 are excellent at vocals. They sit on a continuum of IEMs that render vocals exceptionally well. The difference is how vocals are presented, and that comes down to a matter of taste and choice of music.

In Butastur, vocals are balanced more evenly with the rest of the instruments, whereas they are lusher, more forward and more refined in the Volt and Aurora.

Between Volt and Aurora, Aurora has more bass, particularly sub bass, although it’s very well controlled and you won’t hear it if the music doesn’t call for it. When it kicks in however, it can neutralise the vocals a bit.

Volt has the warmer, richer, more forward presentation, particularly in the lower mids and if you’re looking for vocal performance above all else, it’s still hard to beat and I’m not surprised it’s still getting rave reviews as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Sep 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #11,160 of 13,731
Exactly. At they end, greatest mystery of audiophile realm is the concept of MUSICALITY and what can trigger emotional response, which is mostly inherent to mid range in fact since all instrument including vocal blossomin this range...
Yet, its one of most understated freq too, harman pull off the soul of mids and brighten the presence, like seing skeleton of a sexy woman instead of her more tactile and fleshy curve (oh well....)
Instrument and vocal fundamental mostly are between 200-700hz. This section is ultra scooped with Harman, so I stop lying to myself about this and now reject most harman IEM, refuse to review them too....cant take more.
What some call mud, is in fact natural vibration of air within instrument, but the restitution is harder with single DD while hybrid and planar can permit good layering with cohesive macro dynamic that dont feel artificial tweak to bypass limitation of clean clarity.
As well, where hearing limitation hit harder its pass 10khz, and lot of IEM maker tend to boost 8-10khz section cause its easier, you dont need as crazy good DD for ex...

At they end, this upper mids-presence boost can be usefull for monitoring, so im able to enjoy it, Letshuoer EM07J is a good ex of that...

It just surprise me that some audio companies think its what will appeal the mass or those seeking musical pleasure.

I do adore the Penon 10th too, so I understand your enthusiasm bro. It make 10 years im doing random reviews...at first, i have prejudice about Penon thinking hype wasn't real....but its evident it isn't bs. On facebook group Chifi Love, 90% of praise is now from consumers, not reviewers. Fan2 praise is overwhelming for ex. Penon Serial too is quite loved...

Oh, if anybody intrigue about my view of 10th, there is my review:
https://nobordersaudiophile.wordpre...graphic-musicality-with-a-pinch-of-est-spice/
Great review! I've had 10th since May and can say it keeps getting better. This and the Serial taught me that burn in is very real, though I'm sure there's also brain burn in, too. At over 200 hours, 10th sounds superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back