The PENON official thread
Jul 27, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #10,591 of 13,731
Testing EST50 for a couple of days, I would say it's a crazy source depended. They scale well from a powerful amp. It can even sound more mid-forward with insufficient power, but the bass is always present. With more power, it will sound more bassy. However, EST drivers are more hungry for Voltage. More Volt, more highs you get. For example, directly from 3.5mm Macbook Air M1output, they sound crazy bright due to M1 Air giving more Voltage than Power.
With sources that can give both current and volt, it sounds crazily balanced and slightly V-shaped, but highs are good-extended and smooth, and even the Timbre problem goes away. However, they have hard-hitting bass, which may not sound good with Pop and some electronic music. I think EST50 sounds best with Hip-Hop/Rock/Metal/Industrial Music.
About mid-forwardness, they have ideal forwardness for me, slightly more forward upper-mids and vocal, and it will be too much if I'm correct, Penon like making upper-mid and vocal forward, which makes me concerned about buying any Penon IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #10,592 of 13,731
ISN Audio EST50 or Penon 10th Anniversary....which is better? I like good bass,
By amplitude, the 50s...
Albeit being the lesser amplitude with the 10th, the quality is exemplary having twin drivers in a classic configuration.
This is tuned to deliver astounding, unadulterated Big bass on ambient, EDM, pop, jazz and rock, post rock
good great mids and good treble.....
the 10th
good everything.
the 10th
also, ✓ high end Holographic imaging even with a dongle (I use Tail nowadays). Fantastic height, width and depth dimensions

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #10,593 of 13,731
10th AE's upper mids and treble aren't "offensive" at all. Graphs don't represent what 10th AE actually sounds like, at least not the graph you posted.
Offensive is bad word :thinking: More energetic is maybe better to say, and the EST50 is less energetic than average when looking at pinna gain and treble peaks.
10th has been well received by everyone, so a winner for sure.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #10,594 of 13,731

I pretty much agreed with everything Tony said about the Turbo, and felt his opinion/impression matched my impressions and your review. Obviously Tony's and your review were much detailed and articulated than my basic impressions, but the consensus seems to be consistent. I can see @ToneDeafMonk is enjoying the Turbo too, I look forward to his full review on yt.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #10,595 of 13,731
As an accomplished and hardcore basshead, Penon Turbo have been ordered. The positive impressions from different sources helped me pulling the trigger on these Emeralds

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #10,596 of 13,731
I pretty much agreed with everything Tony said about the Turbo, and felt his opinion/impression matched my impressions and your review. Obviously Tony's and your review were much detailed and articulated than my basic impressions, but the consensus seems to be consistent. I can see @ToneDeafMonk is enjoying the Turbo too, I look forward to his full review on yt.

I am so tempted now, must admit that. They also look really cool. Tonys video make my wallet scream to be used.

As an accomplished and hardcore basshead, Penon Turbo have been ordered. The positive impressions from different sources helped me pulling the trigger on these Emeralds

Looking forward to your thoughts here fellow basshead friend :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #10,597 of 13,731
Not gonna lie, despite what certain folks have said about Penon recently, still makes me want to get the Turbo as well. Doesn't help that the Turbo is also much smaller in size, since comfort is usually high on my list of priorities. Been waiting for my 10th to arrive since before the Turbo was even released 🥲 Fingers crossed the 10th does not disappoint in the bass department!

Any comparisons between the two @Danx3k ? How "DD-like" is the Turbo, really? And does the treble compare to the 10th's ESTs?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #10,598 of 13,731
Not gonna lie, despite what certain folks have said about Penon recently, still makes me want to get the Turbo as well. Doesn't help that the Turbo is also much smaller in size, since comfort is usually high on my list of priorities. Been waiting for my 10th to arrive since before the Turbo was even released 🥲 Fingers crossed the 10th does not disappoint in the bass department!

Any comparisons between the two @Danx3k ? How "DD-like" is the Turbo, really? And does the treble compare to the 10th's ESTs?

In all honestly, I'm not qualified or experienced enough to say how DD-like the bass is. As I haven't heard enough DD iem's to really, to know the full spectrum of what DD bass can sound like. The DD bass on the 10AE is quite different to the Turbo though to my ears. Turbo is more punchy and has more slam, where-as the 10AE for me has a slower decay and has a bigger feel (maybe this is what is meant by bass being "slow"?). Perhaps some people won't like this as much (and prefer a faster punchier slamming bass, but I really enjoy it.

Akros/ @Tonytex in his review on yt compares the Turbo's bass to that of a DD's, so I'd suggest watching that if you haven't already. His opinion and assessment will have substantially more weight than mine due to his extensive experience listening to a variety of iem's. Also worth seeing what @Dsnuts and @ToneDeafMonk think, as they also have/listened to both sets.

In regard to the treble, for me the 10AE is superior, but that's in terms of what I like, its airer up top (probably due to EST's). Everything has more space and is a bit further out on the 10AE compared to the Turbo's more perceived intimidate sound stage, that's not to say its congested, its not. You just pick up on more nuances and sounds on the 10AE. Also, neither have any sibilance for me.

Edit: I forgot to add, the Turbo is levels above my other iems in terms of fit and comfort. It's so small and fits perfectly in my ear, The shell design for me is also a massive upgrade and welcome departure from the previous designs where "PENON" is written across one iem's faceplate and "The Model" is on the other. The Turbo is a very attractive looking iem. Hopefully this is Penon's new direction - putting the brand and model name on the back of the iem instead. Even the vents look pretty. they are ciricular with a mesh on with a blue ring around the left, and red around the right iem's vent.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #10,599 of 13,731

Will be happy to answer the « dd-like » question as I have a bit of experience in terms of bass reproduction. Another full BA set that still impresses me are the Oriveti O400 (4BA). First time I thought 1DD was under the hood. I assume Turbo will be true to its name and deliver the fun/bassy sound reported by reviewers and fellow head-fiers.

Regarding treble, pretty sure it will be difficult for the Turbo to compete against 10th´s EST in terms of technicality, but ultimately this is the whole tuning that counts for me.

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #10,600 of 13,731
In all honestly, I'm not qualified or experienced enough to say how DD-like the bass is. As I haven't heard enough DD iem's to really, to know the full spectrum of what DD bass can sound like. The DD bass on the 10AE is quite different to the Turbo though to my ears. Turbo is more punchy and has more slam, where-as the 10AE for me has a slower decay and has a bigger feel (maybe this is what is meant by bass being "slow"?). Perhaps some people won't like this as much (and prefer a faster punchier slamming bass, but I really enjoy it.

Akros/ @Tonytex in his review on yt compares the Turbo's bass to that of a DD's, so I'd suggest watching that if you haven't already. His opinion and assessment will have substantially more weight than mine due to his extensive experience listening to a variety of iem's. Also worth seeing what @Dsnuts and @ToneDeafMonk think, as they also have/listened to both sets.

In regard to the treble, for me the 10AE is superior, but that's in terms of what I like, its airer up top (probably due to EST's). Everything has more space and is a bit further out on the 10AE compared to the Turbo's more perceived intimidate sound stage, that's not to say its congested, its not. You just pick up on more nuances and sounds on the 10AE. Also, neither have any sibilance for me.
I think you explained it quite well, to be honest! That bigger feeling of the bass is something I think of when it comes to dynamic drivers. Watched Akros' video and had hoped for a 10th comparison there, but I always appreciate multiple inputs:) It's reassuring to know the 10th is airier up top. I adore ESTs for this very reason.

Refreshing the courier page multiple times a day at this point
Hard not to order another set while waiting 5 weeks like

twiddling-thumbs-spongebob-waiting-anxious-bored-c66ep93rabg2yvoz.gif

Will be happy to answer the « dd-like » question as I have a bit of experience in terms of bass reproduction. Another full BA set that still impresses me are the Oriveti O400 (4BA). First time I thought 1DD was under the hood. I assume Turbo will be true to its name and deliver the fun/bassy sound reported by reviewers and fellow head-fiers.

Regarding treble, pretty sure it will be difficult for the Turbo to compete against 10th´s EST in terms of technicality, but ultimately this is the whole tuning that counts for me.
Appreciate the input! Coming from the SR8, which does have very satisfying bass, lacks that last touch that I'm used to from DDs, that's why I asked. From what I understand the Turbo uses Sonion 38D1X, which are supposed to be a step above the 38AJ the SR8 has in terms of bass reproduction. Really have to wonder how that amount of sub-bass sounds on a good BA driver!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #10,601 of 13,731
I think you explained it quite well, to be honest! That bigger feeling of the bass is something I think of when it comes to dynamic drivers. Watched Akros' video and had hoped for a 10th comparison there, but I always appreciate multiple inputs:)

Someone else described the 10AE's bass as "flabby" and I can see what he means, I personally like it but that's me. They're both quite different sounding for me, apart from both falling into the V-sound category (Turbo being a little more so), but I enjoy both.

refreshing the courier page multiple times a day at this point
Hard not to order another set while waiting 5 weeks like

Wow really? Where is it being shipped to? I've ordered from Penon three times now, the first two times were with using the regular delivery option and I received them in one week. I paid the extra for express shipping with the Turbo and received it in four days.

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #10,602 of 13,731
First of all, your Serial is gorgeous, holy crap. That's a lot of marbeling
Second of all, is Serial really that good, for you to only want 1 iem? I mean i am using the Serial and i'm still looking out for more iem. I just dunno if i'm underappreciated .it
For the price, it has nuance like an HD600. And to it's detriment or not, I can tell when it's driven well or not, the bass goes to mulch, so I find it a blast to listen to on higher end gear.

I don't hunt much in the iem space, the comfort issues make the difference between a $1k pair and the Serial moot. I can't even fit most of the big shelled Chifi iems in my ears for over 20 minutes without pain. And I do have Airpods Pro 2 (and just copped Galaxy buds pro 2 for $50) for on the go. Although most days im battling wind noise on the Airpods and the Serial is much better then.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #10,603 of 13,731
Someone else described the 10AE's bass as "flabby" and I can see what he means, I personally like it but that's me.
I imagine we're of the same opinion, then:)

Yeah, it's honestly kinda nuts. Shipped to Norway. Given, I opted for the slower shipping this time around since I was unsure where I'd be located as I'm in the midst of moving. To be fair, it's my local post office which took 15 days to process and send the package from customs. Probably just unlucky. First time I ordered with express it took about four weeks as well, though 🤷‍♂️

A week and four days sounds like a dream!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #10,604 of 13,731
I imagine we're of the same opinion, then:)

Yeah, it's honestly kinda nuts. Shipped to Norway. Given, I opted for the slower shipping this time around since I was unsure where I'd be located as I'm in the midst of moving. To be fair, it's my local post office which took 15 days to process and send the package from customs. Probably just unlucky. First time I ordered with express it took about four weeks as well, though 🤷‍♂️

A week and four days sounds like a dream!
Not alone, my history with Penon and Norway is a mess. 2 month delivery on Penon Serial, 1.5month on Neo 5. But this is with standard delivery.

When I have had express delivery more like 2 weeks 😁

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #10,605 of 13,731
IMG_E4248.JPG
Gapless due to a proper insertion

Yes

They will loosen - the socket receptacles if the Pins are Constantly causing the sockets to be wide. Thus loosing its grip.
The sockets Loosen their grip on the pins due to force insertion of the pins. This may happen When the pins are inserted, they are not parallel / vertical enough on the socket shaft.
Of course, this is unintentional.
How I do this (a proper insertion)? If the socket from the beginning is tight, it's most probably not aligned. I stop. Then I try to re-insert again.
Sometimes, I'm already halfway and seem to stop. I pull it back up and carefully re-insert again. 5 times out of 5, I get it right. Please refer to the photo above.
Careful practice makes perfect...

It's alright to be on the OCD level when it comes to small items (so am I). I never force the pins on the sockets. There will be times, they're just difficult to insert. I stop altogether what I'm doing. Stay away, make coffee, pause, chill. Then come back to it after some time.
@Redcarmoose mentioned 50 times, this is not an exaggeration. try 70 + times - then I stopped counting. I don't have a lot of cables in my inventory. That's why its more of a necessity for me and at the same time I have to be extremely careful making a connection. :beerchug:
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely take note of this! I'll be keen as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back