The PENON official thread
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #10,441 of 14,143
When you guys speak of Penon's signature mids and vocals, which of their models best represents this?
Imho, I would say the trio Serial, Fan 2 and Vortex.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #10,442 of 14,143
Those are some kind of generic wide-bore that came with two different review samples so I have two pair. They are short donut style with a short nozzle travel and a wide opening. I use them with about 80% of my reviews? Paradise as they de-emphasize bass and increase soundstage, through they don’t get much nozzle extension when you encounter a short nozzle. :)
Ooooh. What tips are you using right there? Am i spotting the Whizzer SS20?

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #10,443 of 14,143
When you guys speak of Penon's signature mids and vocals, which of their models best represents this?
That’s the thing, that even at first if you think one doesn’t have the signature midrange, it eventually shows up on its own after a while. Where true some accentuate vocals a little more than others, I still would even go to the extent of saying the H50, the Fan 1, the H40 and the Volt. Just to name a few more other than the Serial, Fan 2 and Vortex. Really everything has it, it’s uncanny? :) Even the ISN D10 has great mids and that is the last one you would think, first hearing it, but they come around?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #10,446 of 14,143
I actually had the Penon Turbo in my basket and at checkout - including logging into my PayPal PayPal, about to pull the trigger before I managed to stopped myself.

I think I need to see some more impressions/ reviews first, to be sure it isn’t just a bass monster iem and compromised/lacking elsewhere.

Hopefully @Tonytex will have a review up of them soon on yt- with a comparison to other all-BA sets.

I’m curious how they sound in the 0-010, 0-001 and 0-011 configuration as well as those configurations with the turbo switched on - as they sound like the bass is elevated anyway.

I’m really liking the aesthetics of the iem itself though, from the images. It’s a welcome departure from Penon just slapping their name on them in large font, right across the face plate.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #10,447 of 14,143
Great Ba bass = symphonium audio Meteor

Been reading alot about that one lately and people have only good things to say about it. Doesnt cost alot too which is a good thing in my book.

Im saving up for first maestro se/scarlet mini then meteor.

I have Meteor on the way on loan, looking forward to it 👌 heard much praise.

Will also be fun to see how the 4BA stack up to Neon Pro 10BA. Not always driver amount is the best.

But still no Turbo, feeling the urge.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #10,448 of 14,143
I was able to test the Meteor for a short time. It has great BA bass but is a bit reserved in the upper mids. At the time, I felt that it was very precise and suitable for the long term.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #10,449 of 14,143
It will be interesting to see measurements for the 3+1 basic settings of the turbo. It's on my list, along with the 10th and the Impact. I could hear the Volt now and I have to say it's not my cup of tea.

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #10,450 of 14,143
That’s the thing, that even at first if you think one doesn’t have the signature midrange, it eventually shows up on its own after a while. Where true some accentuate vocals a little more than others, I still would even go to the extent of saying the H50, the Fan 1, the H40 and the Volt. Just to name a few more other than the Serial, Fan 2 and Vortex. Really everything has it, it’s uncanny? :) Even the ISN D10 has great mids and that is the last one you would think, first hearing it, but they come around?
If we were to single out an option from your assemblage that truly accentuates this aspect to a person who can only listen to one, disregarding the deep sub-bass rumble or thunderous bass slam, which one would you favor in showcasing the finest rendition of Penon's mids?

PS: Would the 10th Anni be of the ones that appear to lack it at first glance?

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #10,451 of 14,143
Been reading alot about that one lately and people have only good things to say about it. Doesnt cost alot too which is a good thing in my book.

Im saving up for first maestro se/scarlet mini then meteor.
Try to audition them before buying as the insertion depth of the MSE is almost nothing like any other IEM. It is very similar to the Noble Viking Ragnar!

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #10,452 of 14,143
Try to audition them before buying as the insertion depth of the MSE is almost nothing like any other IEM. It is very similar to the Noble Viking Ragnar!
I wish i could, but i cant find them here in Norway. Alot of people have pointed out that its a hard fit for some. I think i am going to risk it because on the paper it seems like my "end game" iem.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #10,453 of 14,143
I simply don’t see how the Turbo can generate so much bass. I’ve never heard a BA do all that much bass? I’ve heard really good BA bass just never a dramatic inclusion into the sound signature?

Well the Diva has a bass dial that adds about 10db of bass and nothing but bass :)

It also has the same driver config as Turbo.

IMG_7448.jpg

I’m really liking the aesthetics of the iem itself though, from the images. It’s a welcome departure from Penon just slapping their name on them in large font, right across the face plate.

It is their brand after all. And I’ve gotten used to it. I have to say I appreciate the consistency of ‘Penon’ always being on the left faceplate and the model name on the right. One more easy visual cue to tell them apart when I grab them. I will say that some of their font choices are better than others though.

That said, I really like the look of the Turbo myself.

Volt.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #10,454 of 14,143
Well the Diva has a bass dial that adds about 10db of bass and nothing but bass :)

It also has the same driver config as Turbo.

IMG_7448.jpg

It is their brand after all. And I’ve gotten used to it. I have to say I appreciate the consistency of ‘Penon’ always being on the left faceplate and the model name on the right. One more easy visual cue to tell them apart when I grab them. I will say that some of their font choices are better than others though.

That said, I really like the look of the Turbo myself.

Volt.
Yes, Volt!

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #10,455 of 14,143
If we were to single out an option from your assemblage that truly accentuates this aspect to a person who can only listen to one, disregarding the deep sub-bass rumble or thunderous bass slam, which one would you favor in showcasing the finest rendition of Penon's mids?

PS: Would the 10th Anni be of the ones that appear to lack it at first glance?
Volt.

No not at first glance, I mean literally that’s where I am, first glance, and the mids are still there? That’s what I mean when I say uncanny, you would think they would drop the ball at least one time, but no? It’s a midrange character they put (a style) in every one, every IEM made?

And that’s the thing with the 10th Anniversary, I’m starting to listen with the stock (CS819) cable and a V shaped DAP. So anywhere else I go from here will be even more midrange. And with the 10th Anniversary......the treble and bass somehow frame the midrange? I mean maybe I will perceive the mids as less later on? But so far they are again there, I mean why should Penon stop with mids on their Anniversary Model?
DSC_0392.jpegqw.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back