The PENON official thread
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #10,426 of 14,143
Spot on !

Most people don't have the Turbo yet. Only their special promoters got one for free or at a steep discount early. So only those select few can tell you what they think about both IEMs.

As for the 10th AE, it's an amazing IEM that I highly recommend. It's been widely praised by most people who owns one. The thing could sell for $800-$1,000+ and it'd still be worth it. My only complaint is with the nozzle size, which I've complained about several times already. If you don't have narrow ear canals, you won't have any issue with comfort.

Check out my personal assessment for srp here

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #10,427 of 14,143
If that's actually true, you should try to get a listen of the CFA Trifecta. Not saying to buy it, but as a DD officianado, would be interesting I'm sure. I've not heard it, unfortunately, though I understand it's a wholly different animal than Serial. I have one more iem on the way, a single DD...htf you gonna beat serial with its 3!?

Indeed everyone should try to listen to the Trifecta at least once (and then try to forget it after, if they value their sanity and bank account). If anyone ever thought the Serial sounded like speakers, the Trifecta is approximately this:

IMG_7442.jpeg

In fact all the 3DDs I’ve heard, from CFA to Penon to UM to KZ (the less said the better) only have their driver count in common - they are all significantly different in their approach to tuning and how the drivers are used.

In the case of the Trifecta, it is completely unfathomable to me how 3 DDs facing each other can pump out such massive speaker sound to fill an immense soundstage - what sorcery is this?!

IMG_7441.jpg

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #10,428 of 14,143
You guys are the only one i saw that shill the Trifecta :/ Their FR for more than 3 grands makes no sense. Some of my friend who has enough fortune to buy it shows disdane for it lol. I love my Serial though
As for the Turbo, i'm so glad it was 500$ :smile:I've never crossed somethingof my wish list faster lol

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #10,429 of 14,143
You guys are the only one i saw that shill the Trifecta :/ Their FR for more than 3 grands makes no sense. Some of my friend who has enough fortune to buy it shows disdane for it lol. I love my Serial though
As for the Turbo, i'm so glad it was 500$ :smile:I've never crossed somethingof my wish list faster lol
Note that each of us said listen to it, don't buy it. I haven't done either, but I could afford some time to do the first.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #10,430 of 14,143
I simply don’t see how the Turbo can generate so much bass. I’ve never heard a BA do all that much bass? I’ve heard really good BA bass just never a dramatic inclusion into the sound signature?

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #10,431 of 14,143
I haven’t heard the Turbo?

But no, IMO.....the Serial and EST50 are completely different. Now maybe I’m too far down the rabbit hole to know reality? :) Oh well, that’s where I’m at, but as of recently (over the course of time) I’ve just heard 50 IEMs. Not all 50 at once, but in a scheduled method of understanding each and every one.

And in the middle of those 50 IEMs I got a chance to review the Serial and EST50. The most rewarding thing is after experiencing both I came to understand that cables make a world of difference. Meaning I was able to turn the EST50 and Serial into slightly different animals. First off a few (of course) of their properties didn’t change. But remember one is ESTs X2, BA (X2) and DD......the other is 3 DDs. Just that in itself makes them totally different. Now the neutrality of the Serial makes it faster and more nimble than the EST50, but probably the way the midrange and treble are displayed makes the Serial very different than the EST50. Gone are any metallic properties and replaced with the Serial are more organic themes. Now if you read my reviews, I actually like the distance that Hybrid types give into how the stage is perceived, the sonic personality of both BAs and ESTs. Yet the more and more I’m exposed to multi DDs, the more I understand and like them, to the point of now possibly liking them best?
I got a new silver 8w cable today from GuCraftsman from Amazon prime day...impulse buy after reading some reviews here, and my first pure silver cable.

The idea of this on the Serial was intriguing after reading your post, so I hooked it up to see and hear. There's no question that serial has an amazing ability to sound different with different cables! Not sure I like this sound, but it's new from serial so I'll check it out for awhile.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #10,432 of 14,143
Ich verstehe einfach nicht, wie der Turbo so viel Bass erzeugen kann. Ich habe noch nie gehört, dass ein BA so viel Bass macht? Ich habe wirklich guten BA-Bass gehört, aber nie eine dramatische Einbindung in die Klangsignatur?
I m agree with you. My favorit in BA Bass is Thieaudio V16 Divinity. Also very good BA Bass have Softears RSV und 64Audio IE.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #10,433 of 14,143
I simply don’t see how the Turbo can generate so much bass. I’ve never heard a BA do all that much bass? I’ve heard really good BA bass just never a dramatic inclusion into the sound signature?
MMR Balmung does this so well it's hard to believe there aren't DDs inside. Just 12 BAs.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #10,434 of 14,143
MMR Balmung does this so well it's hard to believe there aren't DDs inside. Just 12 BAs.
OK, I mean I’m just saying I’ve never heard it, but I believe you! :)

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #10,435 of 14,143
I got a new silver 8w cable today from GuCraftsman from Amazon prime day...impulse buy after reading some reviews here, and my first pure silver cable.

The idea of this on the Serial was intriguing after reading your post, so I hooked it up to see and hear. There's no question that serial has an amazing ability to sound different with different cables! Not sure I like this sound, but it's new from serial so I'll check it out for awhile.

The flavors are almost endless, the Bass Cable, the Vocal Cable, the PAC 480, the ISN SC4.....on and on and on. It’s a full-on changing signature, which in the end is taste with what you are after. IMO
Not all of em are good, but a large percentage are, IMO.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #10,436 of 14,143

The flavors are almost endless, the Bass Cable, the Vocal Cable, the PAC 480, the ISN SC4.....on and on and on. It’s a full-on changing signature, which in the end is taste with what you are after. IMO
Not all of em are good, but a large percentage are, IMO.
But to reiterate further the source be it mid-centric or V-shaped, the ear-tips (Wife-bore or narrow-bore) and your personal sound preferences all mix together to make a profile statement as to the cable. And the strange part is it also changes with time listening, at least in my experience?

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #10,437 of 14,143
BA bass done well does exist and getting quantity is much less an issue these days, rather what makes or breaks for me is a convincing attack and decay that mimics the more realistic (imo) bass of a DD.

Some sets manage it better than others...the SR8 being the most convincing of recent all-BA sets imo.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #10,438 of 14,143

From my review of the Bass Cable!

The Penon Serial:
This could very well be the most anticipated IEM in the review. Wildly popular at the moment and for good reason. I’m always getting PMs asking about it, and the audiophile community is in a style of mass curiosity over the uniqueness held inside this simple thing. Basic and not complex as the way the best inventions are, the Serial is in a way the opposite of the Sands. Only three DDs, and all of different sizes, relay a message of drama that few IEMs display regardless of price. The Serial is many listeners deserted island IEM. An IEM they would choose to ride-off into the sunset with regardless of price. Literally yesterday a (Head-Fi) member PMed me to let me know his Serial arrived and he was smitten with the outcome.

A8677058-5BF6-498A-9E6E-282B2A5F3DF9.jpeg

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #10,439 of 14,143
From my review of the Bass Cable!

The Penon Serial:
This could very well be the most anticipated IEM in the review. Wildly popular at the moment and for good reason. I’m always getting PMs asking about it, and the audiophile community is in a style of mass curiosity over the uniqueness held inside this simple thing. Basic and not complex as the way the best inventions are, the Serial is in a way the opposite of the Sands. Only three DDs, and all of different sizes, relay a message of drama that few IEMs display regardless of price. The Serial is many listeners deserted island IEM. An IEM they would choose to ride-off into the sunset with regardless of price. Literally yesterday a (Head-Fi) member PMed me to let me know his Serial arrived and he was smitten with the outcome.

A8677058-5BF6-498A-9E6E-282B2A5F3DF9.jpeg
Ooooh. What tips are you using right there? Am i spotting the Whizzer SS20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back