The PENON official thread
Jul 6, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #10,276 of 13,734
Penon is doing its thing just fine. They could improve the site (I don't care about the pics) but frankly, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #10,277 of 13,734
The 133 on the Globes made it clearer overall, especially the mids, upper mids lower treble.
Upper bass to lower mids made it clean, too...

Flow vs LP, seems the former could be better. The Neo I used with the Sphere and was good...

That’s one attribute I like most about OS133, the added clarity. I haven’t heard this combo for a while now and by going back from memory it’d too tighten up the whole range which is what the Globe needed most. Glad the OS133 works out for you! That’s all it matters!

Where did this part went? Anyways…

Flow
is a strange beast really, it doesn’t act like a regular silver cable but mimic copper or some other precious metal/alloy/exotics instead. It’s strengths lies with its musicality and I feel this is one cable you’ll like as it doesn’t attenuate treble energy.

News Flash

PENON 6BA

• The panels are natural pearl shells.
  • 6 balanced armature: low frequency double opening Sonion 38d1xj007i/8a, mid frequency Knowles 33729, high frequency Sonion e50.
  • 6 drivers in 3-way crossover 3 channel tubes.

Looks like there are tuning switches too!

1481BC70-2F5C-406D-B0B3-6DB4E52E36AF.jpeg

PENON TURBO audiophile In-Ear Monitor

6 Balanced Armature, 4 tuning switches, 15 tuning modes.
Natural pearl shells panels, transparent green resin cavity.
Handmade, solid and more durable.
3-way crossover, 3 tubes
2 Sonion for high frequency
2 Knowles for middle frequency
2 Sonion double opening hole for low frequency

The 3-switch system modes

100 is low frequency enhanced
020 standard mode, vocal is the best.
003 is high frequency enhanced.
The other modes are mixed mode.

1-switch system
Independent 1-switch is super bass boost switch, can be used with 3-switch at the same time, can also be used independently.

When used independently, it is low-frequency super boost mode, and with 3-switch, the low-frequency performance can be further enhanced in the corresponding mode of 3-switch.

Make sure that at least one of the 3-switch or 1-switch is turned on which is in normal mode.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #10,278 of 13,734
That’s one attribute I like most about OS133, the added clarity. I haven’t heard this combo for a while now and by going back from memory it’d too tighten up the whole range which is what the Globe needed most. Glad the OS133 works out for you! That’s all it matters!

Where did this part went? Anyways…

Flow
is a strange beast really, it doesn’t act like a regular silver cable but mimic copper or some other precious metal/alloy/exotics instead. It’s strengths lies with its musicality and I feel this is one cable you’ll like as it doesn’t attenuate treble energy.

Looks like there are tuning switches too!

1481BC70-2F5C-406D-B0B3-6DB4E52E36AF.jpeg

PENON TURBO audiophile In-Ear Monitor

6 Balanced Armature, 4 tuning switches, 15 tuning modes.
Natural pearl shells panels, transparent green resin cavity.
Handmade, solid and more durable.
3-way crossover, 3 tubes
2 Sonion for high frequency
2 Knowles for middle frequency
2 Sonion double opening hole for low frequency

The 3-switch system modes

100 is low frequency enhanced
020 standard mode, vocal is the best.
003 is high frequency enhanced.
The other modes are mixed mode.

1-switch system
Independent 1-switch is super bass boost switch, can be used with 3-switch at the same time, can also be used independently.

When used independently, it is low-frequency super boost mode, and with 3-switch, the low-frequency performance can be further enhanced in the corresponding mode of 3-switch.

Make sure that at least one of the 3-switch or 1-switch is turned on which is in normal mode.
And Penon kicks it up a notch in the all BA wars...even tho Impact must surely be the very top.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #10,279 of 13,734
I bought the Fan2 and overall I'm impressed with these earphones.
Bass and mids are just amazing. However, I lack treble, both in quantity and quality.
Because of this in general the sound is somewhat clamped. Not for all tracks, but it's quite noticeable.
Perhaps there is another model of Penon with the same tuned bass and mids, but with a longer and more open treble?
I would appreciate community suggestions.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #10,280 of 13,734
Bass and mids are just amazing. However, I lack treble, both in quantity and quality.
Because of this in general the sound is somewhat clamped. Not for all tracks, but it's quite noticeable.
Perhaps there is another model of Penon with the same tuned bass and mids, but with a longer and more open treble?
I would advise to before spending some big 💰 on other IEMs, enquire the community about what cables/tips might help with that...
I started to listen to my FAN2 yesterday and despite being good, it's not as forward as I expected, and the treble is not as much as I wanted... Nevertheless the IEM is not burned-in and I haven't started any cable or tip rolling... Did you do those things?

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #10,281 of 13,734
And Penon kicks it up a notch in the all BA wars...even tho Impact must surely be the very top.

I’ll be watching this space! I read this as a testament of Impact success! $2500 is steep, it’s not for everyone, me included. Going to be interesting to see which price tier they’d go for!

Anyone can comment on comfort of Penon 10? They look huge and uncomfortable for my medium/small ears. They look very similar to Volt actually, which was a bit to big to me.

Maybe to help me get some idea about the size/comfort/isolation vs Volt/Orb/ej07m/audiosense t800/ fiio fh3/hook X/um mest mk2.

Thanks! 🙏

Hey @Mikerules

I have small ears myself. Volt and 10th are similar in size as you can already tell. Both are large to me but I wear them just fine. They do sticks out quite a bit due to my small and shallow concha but no discomfort.

My order from penon arrived! Does anyone know what the included gift cable is?

Double happiness right there! That cable is new to me, could be from their previous catalog as it appears to be using similar accessories as the ones on OS849.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #10,282 of 13,734
Penon is doing its thing just fine. They could improve the site (I don't care about the pics) but frankly, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
I think they're not going for the latest, greatest site.
More like an Old world thing going on. I like it, personally.
Regardless of like or not like, more importantly the Site works, No lags, etc.
Pnn.png

Pnn2.png

Oh look, Classic banner... :)
Volt Banner.png

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #10,283 of 13,734
I would advise to before spending some big 💰 on other IEMs, enquire the community about what cables/tips might help with that...
I started to listen to my FAN2 yesterday and despite being good, it's not as forward as I expected, and the treble is not as much as I wanted... Nevertheless the IEM is not burned-in and I haven't started any cable or tip rolling... Did you do those things?
I tried a lot of tips and chose the Spiral Dot (how it always happens :relaxed:).
I'll try with cables. But in my experience, the cable is not able to give what was not originally.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #10,285 of 13,734

This is your best bet. This is a bright but Non fatiguing top end, carefully tuned.
The other set, but more bombastic bass with approaching Volt creamy treble resolution but more amplitude, with more extension would be the 10th...

IMG_E4090.JPG

Jul 6, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #10,286 of 13,734
Renders, pictures, retouched pictures… all of these are in play. Personally, I’m not a fan of renders since they can and sometimes do fail to portray the final product accurately, especially in terms of things like color, quality of resin pour and so forth. Photoshop retouches are typically better given that they usually portray an actual production product. Straight untouched photography can work, but the images need to be quality to rely on that.
Yea, visual presentation plays a big role for some people. I like the images that Linsoul makes for its sub-brands. They are high quality with good composition.
Singaporean AAW and Aur Audio brands, for example, use a simple approach for their photos, minimalistic macro photos but high-quality ones. Much better than using the render or posting low-cost images from a phone camera. :wink:
It's all up to the brands, of course, some of them don't care. In the audio industry, most of them don't care, even if they did a beautiful-looking IEM.
Not sure if it is only me, but when I look at AAW Instagram images, my consumerism is starting to beat alert. :deadhorse:

Jul 6, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #10,287 of 13,734
This is your best bet. This is a bright but Non fatiguing top end, carefully tuned.
The other set, but more bombastic bass with approaching Volt creamy treble resolution but more amplitude, with more extension would be the 10th...

IMG_E4090.JPG

Seconded this. Vortex seems to be a more trebly fan 2 in some ways. Bass shelf looks very similar
1000003075.png

Jul 6, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #10,288 of 13,734
Aurora and Volt

How do you like your bass? Volt’s bass DD is best when playing a supporting role to the mids and warming up the mid bass. It can go surprisingly deep but it can’t hold a candle to the power and agility of Aurora’s bass.

Aurora is by no means a bassy iem per se - like Volt, it has a lush, midcentric tuning, but it takes a different approach to bass and has some of the meanest bass chops on this side of a kilobuck and then some.

So while Volt will give you a richer, more bodied cello, Aurora will provide the thump and texture of a pizzicato double bass all the way down low.

Volt has a wetter, fuller presentation, which is not to say Aurora is dry, lean or even neutral; it just goes for a little more overt clarity and separation. They both live in the mids but do it a little differently. Just bear in mind that if you’re coming from something as lush as Volt, Aurora may sound less bodied for a while. (In the same way that if you were coming from Aurora, you’d probably have the same adjustment to make with the 10th.)

Volt’s treble is even more relaxed than Aurora’s. Volt does have that bit of upper treble providing imaging and positional cues. But cymbals and the like sound more complete on Aurora, though that again is relative.

I hope that helps. For consistency, I used OSG for this comparison as well (and in any case, OSG was my former Volt cable pairing before I got my Totem).
I think this is how I originally imagined Volt's bass and sub bass supposedly. Somehow I'm having a clear understanding how the Aurora sounds.
Based on the description though, I assume that Aurora is closer sounding to EST50? Especially on the sub bass area?

Jul 6, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #10,289 of 13,734
Seconded this. Vortex seems to be a more trebly fan 2 in some ways. Bass shelf looks very similar

I tried a lot of tips and chose the Spiral Dot (how it always happens :relaxed:).
I'll try with cables. But in my experience, the cable is not able to give what was not originally.
Another Option Azla Sedna Standard Grey. Been using this pair on the Volt. Doesn't lighten the Bass as the SD
Yet another option is the Azla Sedna Short (Blue Stem) . This'll make the JVC SD a tiresome run for it's money, like Toyota vs Kia or Hyundai.
A caution though, this will take out a significant amount of Bass amplitude. You may or may not like it...

1688636701514.png

Some of My Tips experience
Tips-boxed.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #10,290 of 13,734
Any idea how much the new Turbo is likely to cost?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back