The PENON official thread
Jun 15, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #9,947 of 14,143
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #9,948 of 14,143
E631DE4B-537C-4F42-81DB-47A059A75C5E.jpeg

The Penon Bass cable on the Fan 2

I got the Bass to pair with the 10th, but it didn’t feel like a good match to my ears. The 10th didn’t need the extra bass, and the Vocal sounds beautiful with it, filling in the V to give rich sounds across the spectrum. On the EST50 it sounded like a wide U tuning, with big boomy bass and a sharp rise in the upper treble.

Worrying I’d made a mistake, I tried it with other IEMs. The IMR BassCannon sounded wrong with the Bass. The Serial was a bit better, but it wasn’t the greatest match.

Then I tried with the Fan 2. Once the Fan 2 burns in, the bass quantity really isn’t bad. It’s a capable, vocal focused set. Add in the Bass and suddenly you see how the Fan 2 is related to the 10th. Big, full bass. Heavier note weight. The treble peaks are tamed, but with enough bite in the upper treble to balance the bass. That Penon mid quality is there.

Suddenly my Fan 2 is playing with big boys. Rather than being a second-tier from Penon, it is closer than ever to the Serial, 10th and other standout models. If you have the Bass and Fan 2, give this pairing a try. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #9,949 of 14,143

The Penon Bass cable on the Fan 2

I got the Bass to pair with the 10th, but it didn’t feel like a good match to my ears. The 10th didn’t need the extra bass, and the Vocal sounds beautiful with it, filling in the V to give rich sounds across the spectrum. On the EST50 it sounded like a wide U tuning, with big boomy bass and a sharp rise in the upper treble.

Worrying I’d made a mistake, I tried it with other IEMs. The IMR BassCannon sounded wrong with the Bass. The Serial was a bit better, but it wasn’t the greatest match.

Then I tried with the Fan 2. Once the Fan 2 burns in, the bass quantity really isn’t bad. It’s a capable, vocal focused set. Add in the Bass and suddenly you see how the Fan 2 is related to the 10th. Big, full bass. Heavier note weight. The treble peaks are tamed, but with enough bite in the upper treble to balance the bass. That Penon mid quality is there.

Suddenly my Fan 2 is playing with big boys. Rather than being a second-tier from Penon, it is closer than ever to the Serial, 10th and other standout models. If you have the Bass and Fan 2, give this pairing a try. I hope you like it as much as I do.
Picked this cable up for the 10th with nicer 4.4 instead of modular ends. Going to look baller.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMijmAy

Attachments

• 1684699021-744308341.jpg
    1684699021-744308341.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #9,950 of 14,143
Picked this cable up for the 10th with nicer 4.4 instead of modular ends. Going to look baller.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMijmAy
I'm the guy, Bunky Bob who commented on your video reviewing the 10th anniversary. I bought them cause of your review. I can't imagine it getting much better than this. To expect better would be short sighted I think. Different tonalities and stuff? Sure but better sound I can't believe it

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #9,951 of 14,143
I'm the guy, Bunky Bob who commented on your video reviewing the 10th anniversary. I bought them cause of your review. I can't imagine it getting much better than this. To expect better would be short sighted I think. Different tonalities and stuff? Sure but better sound I can't believe it
The 10th is a special IEM I sold my beloved LETSHOUER EJ07M'S to afford to buy them and not looking back. You really need to get into the Kilo Buck stuff get incremental step up. I still want to own the U12t after hearing that iem as well

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #9,953 of 14,143
Mr Monk,

You need to try a set of Aur Audio Neon Pro if you haven't already.
Non vented would give me 5 min of listening pleasure before pressure build up.
The new Aurora looks interesting tho.
The constant posts about stating thier warranty policies really put me off quite honestly. But of I get a chance I would love to hear a few and understand what the hype is all about!

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #9,955 of 14,143
Not just quantity but quality. One of the things I liked from the beginning of the Serial is the percussive textures, even with the stock cable. The g4 keeps them and even makes them more detailed. Separation and clarity between instruments is gained. With the Mix it seemed to me that it made the percussive notes thinner.
Serial isn’t burned but I tried some cables and I tend to prefer stock cable, now I understand what you meant and maybe I’ll buy G4 too😀

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #9,956 of 14,143
The Globe have come full circle.

Stock occ silver plated cable + White stem eartips + Totem pigtail = Tuning as intended + And then some

Not the best looking cable out there I must admit but still sounded the best to my ears after all this while. Being able to hear the effects of cable swap can be detrimental sometimes especially when one have a preconceived idea that upgraded automatically meant better - and in my case, only to land back where I first started.

Folks that are on the fence with the Globe (now with better pricing), fret not, it is still every ounce highly competent even compared to newer offerings on their line up. The beauty lies with It’s simplicity, just three drivers but delivers big music!

p.s. @Penon Need better looking plug/splitter/connector for the cable since it’s now on your current catalog :smile:

D78BC207-1E16-432B-B0E3-32A66505C747.jpeg

For your Friday listening pleasure.

Not Just Anybody Feat Kate Rogers (AtJazz Mix) - Mark Rae

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #9,957 of 14,143
The Globe have come full circle.

Stock occ silver plated cable + White stem eartips + Totem pigtail = Tuning as intended + And the some

Not the best looking cable out there I must admit but still sounded the best to my ears after all this while. Being able to hear the effects of cable swap can be detrimental sometimes especially when one have a preconceived idea that upgraded automatically meant better - and in my case, only to land back where I first started.

Folks that are on the fence with the Globe (now with better pricing), fret not, it is still every ounce highly competent even compared to newer offerings on their line up. The beauty lies with It’s simplicity, just three drivers but delivers big music!

p.s. @Penon Need better looking plug/splitter/connector for the cable since it’s now on your current catalog :smile:

For your Friday listening pleasure.

Not Just Anybody Feat Kate Rogers (AtJazz Mix) - Mark Rae

I'm constantly learning about the Globe IEM.
globe.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #9,958 of 14,143
Non vented would give me 5 min of listening pleasure before pressure build up.
The new Aurora looks interesting tho.
The constant posts about stating thier warranty policies really put me off quite honestly. But of I get a chance I would love to hear a few and understand what the hype is all about!

I can’t comment on the pressure build up issue but fair enough if that is an problem for you.

I have seen one post on their FB page outlining the warranty policy which seemed entirely reasonable to me but if you have objections that is your call obviously.

Do make a chance to give them a listen. I have the Fan 2 which I have seen you love and more recently your love for the 10th. I think the Neon Pro takes the balance if the Fan 2 and kicks up almost every aspect of the tuning to another level. They don’t have the bass punch and tactility of the dual 6mm DD but they are very pleasing in their own BA bass way.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #9,959 of 14,143
So this thicc boi showed up.

IMG_6922.jpeg

With the Totem (and Volt) for comparison. Yes, thiccer than the Totem.

Surprised there doesn’t seem to have been much comment on the ergonomics of the Bass cable yet. I usually am down for a good chonky cable but I think this may be approaching my limits of chonkiness. And I usually don’t like ear guides (and sometimes even specifically request for my cables to be made without) but here is one cable where I concede that ear guides may have been useful, at least until the cable develops some memory of its own. Until then, I’m using the chin slider to keep it in place. Another thing I never use on cables. Usually I don’t care if the thing has a functioning chin slider and if it was missing altogether, I might not even notice. But here I am using a chin slider for the first time in my life and I can confirm that it does as it’s told.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #9,960 of 14,143
So this thicc boi showed up.

IMG_6922.jpeg

With the Totem (and Volt) for comparison. Yes, thiccer than the Totem.

Surprised there doesn’t seem to have been much comment on the ergonomics of the Bass cable yet. I usually am down for a good chonky cable but I think this may be approaching my limits of chonkiness. And I usually don’t like ear guides (and sometimes even specifically request for my cables to be made without) but here is one cable where I concede that ear guides may have been useful, at least until the cable develops some memory of its own. Until then, I’m using the chin slider to keep it in place. Another thing I never use on cables. Usually I don’t care if the thing has a functioning chin slider and if it was missing altogether, I might not even notice. But here I am using a chin slider for the first time in my life and I can confirm that it does as it’s told.
Chin sliders, the unsung heroes of cable ergonomics. All cables should have them, especially the heavy ones. I recently bought a "flagship" NiceHCK called DragonScale and it's an absolute garden hose. And no chin slider!? What!? I had to repurpose a cable tie so I could use it! Did sound brilliant though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back