The PENON official thread
Jun 14, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #9,916 of 13,736
Wearing iems seems to be something of a chore now that I've tasted the Airpods Pro 2 nectar, so I might trade the Vortex for a Serial where then sound signature is different from everything else I own and might make it more special.

My only concern is, my ears are quite sensitive and I can't comfortably fit many of the newer shell headphones like the Zetian Wu. Are the serial significantly thicker? I can't tell from the pictures. The short flange doesn't bother me, only big shells.

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #9,917 of 13,736
i thought this too. I got the galaxy buds 2 pro and yes they sound great and fit great and i love the features, i had always been paranoid about the bluetooth. So i never messed with anything bluetooth that went on my head. But to prove something to my buddies and hopefully find bluetooth wasnt hazardous, i bought a nice bluetooth headset and the galaxy buds. The galaxy buds make my ears uncomfortably warm, something i dont feel from my IEMs. Almost as if theyre lightly microwaving me. And the bluetooth headset sounds and works awesome. But i get a dull headache which obviously isnt placebo effect cause i was ignoring any of that till i noticed it
Wearing iems seems to be something of a chore now that I've tasted the Airpods Pro 2 nectar, so I might trade the Vortex for a Serial where then sound signature is different from everything else I own and might make it more special.

My only concern is, my ears are quite sensitive and I can't comfortably fit many of the newer shell headphones like the Zetian Wu. Are the serial significantly thicker? I can't tell from the pictures. The short flange doesn't bother me, only big shells

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #9,918 of 13,736
i thought this too. I got the galaxy buds 2 pro and yes they sound great and fit great and i love the features, i had always been paranoid about the bluetooth. So i never messed with anything bluetooth that went on my head. But to prove something to my buddies and hopefully find bluetooth wasnt hazardous, i bought a nice bluetooth headset and the galaxy buds. The galaxy buds make my ears uncomfortably warm, something i dont feel from my IEMs. Almost as if theyre lightly microwaving me. And the bluetooth headset sounds and works awesome. But i get a dull headache which obviously isnt placebo effect cause i was ignoring any of that till i noticed it
Keep in mind they have batteries in them so Samsung's treshold for temperature while in use might be higher.

I used to have the Technics BT buds and they were so round they hurt my ears after 30 mins and kept popping off. After they broke in 4 months and they never responded to my warranty inquiries, I swore not to get anything with that shape, which is why I got the APP2 over the Sony's and Samsungs/Google. You can't beat in ear comfort, and size matters. The Airpods only get warm when charging and cool off as soon as you put them on.

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #9,919 of 13,736
An ode to Serial...

Oh Serial, how much do I love thee;
With 200 hours of burn in, you perfectly suit me;
Your timbre, punch and stage can make me cry;
Thank Penon your price kept my eyes dry;
Whatever the source, you deliver;
And my goose bumps are all aquiver;
You're also quite the looker;
And cost less than a hooker (I believe);
In my ears you'll stay until the music stops;
20230614_111428.jpg

Oh wait, DHL just arrived with a new drop!

SR7 in the house! See you soon, serial!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #9,920 of 13,736

My only concern is, my ears are quite sensitive and I can't comfortably fit many of the newer shell headphones like the Zetian Wu. Are the serial significantly thicker? I can't tell from the pictures. The short flange doesn't bother me, only big shells.

Some comparison photos I took a year ago when the Vortex was launched.

L to R: Serial, Globe, Vortex.

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #9,921 of 13,736
An ode to Serial...

Oh Serial, how much do I love thee;
With 200 hours of burn in, you perfectly suit me;
Your timbre, punch and stage can make me cry;
Thank Penon your price kept my eyes dry;
Whatever the source, you deliver;
And my goose bumps are all aquiver;
You're also quite the looker;
And cost less than a hooker (I believe);
I'm my ears you'll stay until the music stops;
20230614_111428.jpg
Oh wait, DHL just arrived with a new drop!

SR7 in the house! See you soon, serial!
We need a comparison between those two!

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #9,922 of 13,736
I feel like other than the treble department, the Serial would smoke the SR7

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #9,923 of 13,736
I feel like other than the treble department, the Serial would smoke the SR7
Only been burning in for about 20 hours now, but no, Serial doesn't smoke SR7. But SR7 doesn't really smoke Serial, either.

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #9,925 of 13,736
Sometimes I imagine if Penon will make an IEM that has the features of their different lines.

Bass = 10th AE
Mids = Volt/Impact
Highs = not sure which is the best, probably Impact?
Tonality and Timbre = Of course Serial's warm vintage tonality and analogue timbre

I guess if that happens, it'll be another flagship. lol

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #9,926 of 13,736
Sometimes I imagine if Penon will make an IEM that has the features of their different lines.

Bass = 10th AE
Mids = Volt/Impact
Highs = not sure which is the best, probably Impact?
Tonality and Timbre = Of course Serial's warm vintage tonality and analogue timbre

I guess if that happens, it'll be another flagship. lol
The 10th does that for me done.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #9,927 of 13,736
Anyone had a chance to compare the Neo 5 and the SR7?

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #9,928 of 13,736
Anyone had a chance to compare the Neo 5 and the SR7?
NEO5 Incoming P8 On burn rack probably next weekend. Probably a more fair comparison would be to the new Canon 1+4

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #9,929 of 13,736
Jun 15, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #9,930 of 13,736
My TAIL DAC arrived today. Currently burning-in but OOTB impressions are quite positive. More to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back