The PENON official thread
Jun 13, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #9,887 of 14,142
The ultimate solution would be a custom 10th. if the shells don't sit properly on the concha.
Other than that,
Azla size sss , Penon Orange - smallest size. The Oranges are really soft. ePro - the s size
The Azlas link I shared with my bassist friend (really small ears, the same guy who forced to sell him my M0 lol) . He bought the sss tips, No more complaints!
The ear tips would be the solution if the pain emanates from the canal opening.
The 10th, they really sound great! They're worth every hassle we might encounter, including fit issues that are relatively possible to fix...
Again, it's the nozzle size that's the problem for me with the 10th AE, not the tips nor the shell size.

If the nozzles were not abnormally so big, it would have perfect fit for me.

Euclid on the other hand, has abnormally large and somewhat heavy shells, to house the extremely large and powerful 18mm planar drivers.

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #9,888 of 14,142
It seems Penon now sell the Impact’s cable.
I think someone in here said it's a recolored, white version of the Obsidian cable, but is now $10 more.

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #9,889 of 14,142
I think someone in here said it's a recolored, white version of the Obsidian cable, but is now $10 more.
It was supposed to be an obsidian fitted to the Impact, and it was said that the gold plating was to be 24k versus the 18k obsidian. It seems that this is the only difference that justifies the price.

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #9,890 of 14,142
It was supposed to be an obsidian fitted to the Impact, and it was said that the gold plating was to be 24k versus the 18k obsidian. It seems that this is the only difference that justifies the price.
I see. It looks like a very nice cable for the money. I love the Obsidian paired with my Euclid, so I bet the Impact cable would be the same or better.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #9,891 of 14,142
It seems Penon now sell the Impact’s cable.

Both are close to the same with minor differences as you’ve noted.

Unpublished characteristics between the two being (as informed by Penon):-

Impact : Tuned for mids
Obsidian : Bass focused

Specifications:-
OCC in special white coating, outer 24k gold core, translucent sheath.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #9,892 of 14,142
Jun 13, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #9,893 of 14,142

Where did they informerd such characteristics?

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #9,894 of 14,142
yesterday i bought tripowin piccolo at 27$ on linsoul ...just for walking.... i'm so curious... look at the graph...
Do let us know how it's sound 😁 I'm kinda curisous, looking at the graph too, ngl

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #9,897 of 14,142
yesterday I bought tripowin piccolo at 27$ on linsoul ...just for walking.... i'm so curious... look at the graph...
That's great to hear that you purchased the Tripowin Piccolo!

I hope the Tripowin Piccolo delivers a pleasant listening experience during your walks. Don't forget to share your thoughts and impressions once you've had a chance to try them out.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #9,898 of 14,142
Quite a positive (if not more) review of the Neo 5...

Would definitely have raised my interest if I had not bought the 10th...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #9,899 of 14,142

Where did they informerd such characteristics?

I can confirm that this was what Penon told me as well when I asked.

Personally I don’t exactly find the Impact stock cable that bass focused - in fact, most cables with a decent amount of copper that I tried on the Impact did more favours for its sub bass. It is, however, a lovely mid-centric cable and a real looker.

IMG_6756.jpeg

On the Serial, compared to the XINHS cable I recommended earlier, the Impact cable is noticeably more refined and resolving especially in the mids, but doesn’t have quite as much sub bass. Bear in mind though that it costs more than 3 times more…

Also had quite a few budget XINHS when they first started to show up at the scene, also catch and released most of them as I’d find them different but same. Fantastic value for what I’m getting though.

Agree. This is also my assessment of most of their cables that I tried, including the graphene one that everyone was talking about and recommending at some point. Someone in the mid-priced cables thread recently theorized, or perhaps discovered, that it had to do with the quality of the plugs they use. Unsure if true, but it would make sense if so.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #9,900 of 14,142
I think the Serial is an iem that everybody should have in their collection. Let me explain why...

It is such an effortless set that it simply stands out from the crowd. Where all the other iems I have tried or have in my collection are really trying hard to bring the best sound possible these Serials simply do not. They just play the sound smoothly, easily and so effortlessly at least to my ears.
I think this is what makes them really special, the simply put relaxed sound that you can listen to for hours and days without any fatigue at all. They are not the best in anything and yet they do succeed big time. Their phenomenal timbre and great textured bass are just highlights of their great magical skills. Now add the famous Penon's tuning plus pretty decent soundstage and you have quite an extraordinary set already.

Going further their mids have very nice presence and solid detail retrieval. I think the fact it's one driver just for the mids makes them sound fantastic. Highs are very nice although the set is a bit dark but just give it some quality cable (silver inclduding) and a bit of EQ, enough power and the set can become one of the best in your collection. After those small tunings the highs are nicely presented with more air and plenty of details but still not harsh or fatiguing in any way.

Comparing them to other single dynamics you can hear in their sound that the 3 drivers simply have more room to operate. While single dynamics must handle all the complexity in some tracks the Serial simply does it here without any sweat. You can hear those multiple drivers simply do their job in a better way.

Lets go to the next great point which is their amazing usability. Some of the sets around you can say are tuned or predefined to certain genres but these Serial are not at all. They serve you with whatever you feed them and they serve it in a very nice way. Slow, smooth, relaxed music or something with more energy or even very complex tracks the Serial will manage it all. I have watched a few movies with them and again what a nice cinematic sound like experience. Unfortunately I have not tried any games yet but I can bet these will be fantastic to bring you any emotions from the gaming world too.

I think we still dont have enough good points, right? Well, here is another one.. Their fit and comfort is 10 / 10. Great isolation, great fit, great comfort, very light, vents included it simply fits all the boxes here.

Now, when you consider their affordable price these are really a bargain at least to my consideration. They really fit their purpose and that is to bring you the best timbre, plenty of emotions, fantastic buttery sound that you never get tired of and mainly the ultimate connection to your favorite music albums. It feels like I could write a lot more about this pleasing experience but it's time to get back to work now.

I hope you guys are enjoying these sets the same way as I am and that they will get plenty of head time on your side.

Thank you Penon and Happy Listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back