The PENON official thread
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #9,721 of 14,143
I think I may have made a mistake. I’ve come home and tested my other headphones again on the same tracks and it’s present there too. So - it is the recording it seems NOT my 10ths. There’s also a lot of info on the internet about the distortion/crackle on the album I identified the issue on - back to black by Amy whinehouse.

The same distortion was present on my Etymotics when I tested again and my grados. It’s less noticeable on my EXS’s but now I’m listening for it - it is present also.

Panic over I guess! I think I just picked up on it with the 10ths as I was listening more critically to see if I liked it and test their capabilities - hence running a variety of music genres through them.

Thanks again for everyone that tried to help. I’ll fade back into the background again now and just enjoy the iems.
Guess I was right about the tracks you were listening to were at fault.

A lot of people forget that the quality of the music files itself and the recording / mastering / conversion process is extremely important to determine sound quality. Most people are so worried about their gear, they forget about the main factor in determining SQ.

It doesn't matter how good your gear is, they won't make a poor quality track all of the sudden sound great. In fact, the better the IEM or headphone you have, the more revealing it will be to how poor tracks sound. Which means it will enhance a terrible track to sound even worse than a lesser quality IEM or headphone.

Anyway, just saved you and Penon some hassle in dealing with an exchange. Enjoy your new IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #9,722 of 14,143
Guess I was right about the tracks you were listening to were at fault.

A lot of people forget that the quality of the music files itself and the recording / mastering / conversion process is extremely important to determine sound quality. Most people are so worried about their gear, they forget about the main factor in determining SQ.

Anyway, just saved you and Penon some hassle in dealing with an exchange. Enjoy your new IEM.
Yep, you were right. I did think it was odd that it wasn't consistent on all music and that it was definitely noticeable from both iems. I mean, if there's a fault, what are the odds of it being present on both?

Anyway thanks again

Ps. I was hesitant on the look of them initially when viewing online but they look much nicer in person. Also, whilst another cable may have been more suitable and complemented their sound more, as well as the supplied cable may be just as good - you can't deny they look great with the blue ISN H2/C2/I2.

Iems.jpg

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #9,724 of 14,143
I got my first Penon, FAN 2.
The first impression is positive. The first impression could be even more positive, if not VE SiE, that I used the last few weeks. :dt880smile:
The best isolation from universal iem hybrids that I had. The earphone shape is fantastic for me, and the fit is like a custom iem.
The most impressive part for me is how big and mature the soundstage is. I’m familiar with such tuning, and I understand why there are seems like instrument separation is lacking a bit.
Timbre is coherent from top to bottom. It sounds like if it had only 1 dynamic driver. The BA is lacking a slight speed for me.
The bass is not impressive. It needs to be burn-in. The bass sounds like it has some polarity inversion problem because it just can't catch the sound. I had the same feeling with a SiE bass before the burn-in. Burn-in changed everything.
The mids are impressive. But I think mids under upper-mids is better on SiE. Vocal sounds are more emotional, and guitars have more dynamics on SiE. However, SiE in some tracks can be slightly aggressive on upper-mids, but FAN 2 is not. @vikinguy, Upper-mids is slightly pronounced on FAN 2, at least for me, compared to my favorite UE 18+ (2gen), but not aggressive and does not have a BA timbre that can cause fatigue. But upper-mids are not smooth enough for me to listen on more than 50-55% volume. I will see if ear tips or cable rolling will fix it. The female vocal feels some haze around it, much less than on all Ultimate Ears IEMs.
Overall, tuning and timbre reminds me UERR. With difference that UERR has more extended highs (that only sometimes can be heard) and slight lead-back upper mids, and even fuller mids, while FAN 2 has more bass. The soundstage is almost the same. How both render the sounds are close to being called Natural, the Timbre is very close if only the FAN 2 had just a touch smoother sound.

After burn-in and, ear tips, cable rolling, I'll try to reach a final verdict. I feel that FAN 2 can be a keeper in the collection. :clap::)

tempImageRLU2VI.jpgtempImageGWY7CM.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #9,725 of 14,143
So I received two of the latest products from Penon Audio, their dongle DAC and the iSN Neo5
These are just my first short impressions.

The Penon Tail uses the high-performance Dual CS43131 DAC decoding chip, supporting PCM 384 kHz/32Bit and DSD256 digital audio codec.

Powering the unit it's immediately apparent it's using a ultra-low noise power supply and this is confirmed by the clean noise floor.

It offers 4.4 mm all balanced output and 3.5 mm stereo output, handles loads of 16Ω to 600Ω.
The output two gain switch helps further enhance this wide compatibility with earphones and headphones.

Finally there's a Volume button and play/pause in-one button, and works with PC, Android and iOS devices.

Sound wise it's basically had everything that I love about CS43131 chips ....clean detailed sound, all the while still having a organic, fatigue free sound that far exceeds it's 75usd price.

As for the Neo5 , it's a 1+4 Hybrid that uses a new tuning approach from ISN , but somehow still maintains that ISN/Penon magic.
The bass is where you perhaps notice the biggest change, it's smoother and more of the "gliding" style , without the more habitual Midbass energy that is part of the ISN sound.
Mids are equally smooth, with that unmistakable ISN texture, timbre and tonality.
Treble clean and detailed but always making sure the ISN DNA is present.

How did you order the Neo5? I looked for it on Penon's website but didn't see it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #9,726 of 14,143
How did you order the Neo5? I looked for it on Penon's website but didn't see it? Thanks!
Only a few people has been able to purchase it for impressions or reviews.

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #9,727 of 14,143
I got my first Penon, FAN 2.
The first impression is positive. The first impression could be even more positive, if not VE SiE, that I used the last few weeks. :dt880smile:
The best isolation from universal iem hybrids that I had. The earphone shape is fantastic for me, and the fit is like a custom iem.
The most impressive part for me is how big and mature the soundstage is. I’m familiar with such tuning, and I understand why there are seems like instrument separation is lacking a bit.
Timbre is coherent from top to bottom. It sounds like if it had only 1 dynamic driver. The BA is lacking a slight speed for me.
The bass is not impressive. It needs to be burn-in. The bass sounds like it has some polarity inversion problem because it just can't catch the sound. I had the same feeling with a SiE bass before the burn-in. Burn-in changed everything.
The mids are impressive. But I think mids under upper-mids is better on SiE. Vocal sounds are more emotional, and guitars have more dynamics on SiE. However, SiE in some tracks can be slightly aggressive on upper-mids, but FAN 2 is not. @vikinguy, Upper-mids is slightly pronounced on FAN 2, at least for me, compared to my favorite UE 18+ (2gen), but not aggressive and does not have a BA timbre that can cause fatigue. But upper-mids are not smooth enough for me to listen on more than 50-55% volume. I will see if ear tips or cable rolling will fix it. The female vocal feels some haze around it, much less than on all Ultimate Ears IEMs.
Overall, tuning and timbre reminds me UERR. With difference that UERR has more extended highs (that only sometimes can be heard) and slight lead-back upper mids, and even fuller mids, while FAN 2 has more bass. The soundstage is almost the same. How both render the sounds are close to being called Natural, the Timbre is very close if only the FAN 2 had just a touch smoother sound.

After burn-in and, ear tips, cable rolling, I'll try to reach a final verdict. I feel that FAN 2 can be a keeper in the collection. :clap::)

tempImageRLU2VI.jpgtempImageGWY7CM.jpg
awesome man!

Thanks so much for letting me know.

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #9,728 of 14,143
Only a few people has been able to purchase it for impressions or reviews.
Any idea on approximately how much it will be? I'm definitely interested! Cheers!

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #9,729 of 14,143
Any idea on approximately how much it will be? I'm definitely interested! Cheers!
The price is not set in stone yet, they are waiting feedback from the first buyers. The market is crowded with good 4+1 sets, so it would be wise to not charge to much.

My set was last updated with tracking 2 june on airport in china. Taking its time :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #9,731 of 14,143
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #9,732 of 14,143
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #9,733 of 14,143
The price is not set in stone yet, they are waiting feedback from the first buyers. The market is crowded with good 4+1 sets, so it would be wise to not charge to much.
Absolutely spot on. A range between USD 199.- / 249.- would be reasonable.

Jun 8, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #9,734 of 14,143
Absolutely spot on. A range between USD 199.- / 249.- would be reasonable.
I was expecting anywhere from $149 to $299, I guess.

Jun 8, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #9,735 of 14,143
I was expecting anywhere from $149 to $299, I guess.
This is a pretty wide range. Factor 2. Definitely below USD 300.- IMO, based on the actual IEM market, tough competition, overall price level and fast growing second-hand market with many IEMs sent to reviewers for free or blind buyers full of remorse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back